eddie-baby

2020 March Wam Show that never was :( Virtual equipment demo

7 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

What benefits do you find the ProAc's have on the AE's you had Baz? But I expect the AE's had benefits over the ProAcs as well

The AE's are incredible versatile you could put them in any room , maybe not a huge room . My listening room is small so the ProAc monitors are ideal , I sit at the head of a 7'6" equilateral triangle give or take an eighth of an inch :D , ProAc recommend that the toe-in is so that you cannot see the sides of the speakers , they fire right at me . They are very detailed and punchy , lovely snap to percussion something the AE's didn't do .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

They are very detailed and punchy , lovely snap to percussion something the AE's didn't do .

I've always found ProAcs detailed but not overly so. What they really nail for me is instrument timbre and the nuance you would expect if you heard instruments live, kind of eerily so sometimes, but they do get out of the way of the audio as well and let you enjoy the music. Saying that though they're not everything, as many have said before all speaker designs are flawed in some way or other, and there are others which will give you greater insight into recordings or more scale or whatever. Lots of speakers can sound staggeringly good though sometimes its just a question of eq'ing or better matching. For great vocals though and smaller room performance as old as they are the BBC monitors are still some of the hardest to beat as much as anyone has tried to better them.   

25 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

For great vocals though and smaller room performance as old as they are the BBC monitors are still some of the hardest to beat as much as anyone has tried to better them.

You mentioned Falcon's in a thread the other day , I went to the Cranage show last year and two rooms had them , I think both times they were on the the end of Primare gear , it's very rare something catches my attention at shows but both these rooms were the best to my ears .

12 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

You mentioned Falcon's in a thread the other day , I went to the Cranage show last year and two rooms had them , I think both times they were on the the end of Primare gear , it's very rare something catches my attention at shows but both these rooms were the best to my ears .

I know, put them on something like a Sugden A21 and they'd be magic, I expect they would sound great on  your Yamaha as well, not that you need speakers Baz, those ProAcs are gorgeous. LS3/5A's are so darn expensive though, and they are only tiny. I might even raid the shed see if what timber I got there in the lockdown, knock up some boxes for some. I wonder how cheaply they could be replicated?

Made some speakers in the past but none have ever been anything I wanted to keep, always left it to the professionals, you kind of know what your getting then.

When's this chaos going to end? For all you VR folks thought I would upload another with a change of speaker. What's better to do in a lockdown, whats better to do anytime :D  Wish you could hear how good this sounds live, worth a listen, virtual listen anyway. Detail goes some significant way further than the 11s, still love the 11s tho.  But I bet it sounds terrible on a phone mic :(

• Like 2

Great album review Ed , "if you haven't got this album get it " xD , can't argue with that .

• Haha 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.