radiant red

Congratulations to Naim

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, radiant red said:

Well whatever we think of them, they now have the longest running design and has stood the test of time. The Aluminium series has now been in production for 20 years and started in 2000 with the Nait 5 below. All models changed over the next few years. 
I can’t think of any other manufacturer that has achieved this. Congratulations 

56D7BC3B-9E11-498D-9E87-D0820DD987D3.jpeg

EAR Yoshino (good old TIm de Paravacini) hasbeen making the 509 amps since the late 70s. I would rather have a pair of those than any of the Naim kit -...  I think that exceeds the Naim Aluminium series by about 20 plus years, so congratulations Tim on probably the longest running and one of the best products available.

Edited by uzzy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rabski said:

Effectively comparing the manufacturer to Nazi Germany in six posts? Surely a world record has been broken here.

I have had a Naim Aro tonearm for nearly 30 years and it sounds very nice. That said, it does particularly excel playing Wagner and Beethoven.

• Haha 2

Lindsay describes his 'Hitler' example as "entirely extreme and over the top and cliched"

But, how shall we we describe some of the reactions to his post? 

;)

4 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Lindsay describes his 'Hitler' example as "entirely extreme and over the top and cliched"

But, how shall we we describe some of the reactions to his post? 

;)

Briefly?

• Haha 2

Just now, notevenclose said:

Briefly?

Preferably.

The cases have stayed the same, but there have been various "upgrades" along the way as well as new models etc. 

58 minutes ago, uzzy said:

EAR Yoshino (good old TIm de Paravacini) hasbeen making the 509 amps since the late 70s. I would rather have a pair of those than any of the Naim kit -...  I think that exceeds the Naim Aluminium series by about 20 plus years, so congratulations Tim on probably the longest running and one of the best products available.

Hi uzzy,

I agree with every single word you say bang on!

I met Tim de Paravacini at a hi fi show many years ago, not only is he a very skilled designer of hi fi equipment, he is without doubt one of the nicest and most genuine people you could ever wish to meet, I have owned for over 15/20 years and used constantly one of his fantastic EAR  834 P phono stages, I bought mine (lucky me) when it used to be sold for less than a packet of peanuts, but I must say even at today's price it is worth every penny it costs. I also use a Croft Vitale Vc valve pre amp and this is another bargain product that is not only equal to but better than any pre amp I have ever listened too.

When it comes to congratulations these two designers in-particular deserve the very highest praise possible.

Kind regards to all and happy listening.

Colin.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Goodtrader said:

Linn LP12  must be 20 years ish and still going strong in-spite of its high price. most certainly because it sounds right!

And the rest. LP12 first introduced in 1973

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Tristan said:

behave the first one was the Ariston RD11 in 1972 identical to the Linn in every way lol .. (even the first Linn plinth was identical and the Goldring GL75 lid with its plastic prop) .. so the design has been going for ever lol 

Edited by uzzy
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chris_bates1974 said:

To an extent, yes. But not all of us are lucky enough to have a dedicated room for listening (I am a fortunate one!) and therefore aesthetics have to be a consideration. In this day and age of CAD design, 3D modelling, prototyping, and other tech, there is no excuse whatsoever for hifi to be ugly. There are obviously more restrictions on how speakers can look, but even in those we have enough variety that everyone can have something that doesn't look too bad.

Also, as mentioned, it's a little disappointing that someone has lobbed in a controversy grenade and then wandered off. I am also one of those that has no idea whatsoever as to what was being hinted at.

Hi Chris,

You are right of course, and as we all know,  beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good to look at hi fi whilst being good to listen to is the ultimate goal for us all,  when you own something that is both of these you have everything and are indeed a happy man. 

Also you mention those who have wandered off, in my opinion they have done the right thing in doing so lets hope they don't re-surface hi-fi is a hobby to be enjoyed not something to squabble over.

Long live Hi-Fi and lots and lots of happy hours listening.

Kindest regards,

Colin.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tristan said:

Hi Triston,

You are spot on, I bought my Linn LP12 in 1974 but at 76 years old my numerable calculation let me down badly don't know what I was thinking of saying 20 years.

The Linn LP12 is as you point out 47 years in production, when it reaches 50 years old in three years time, that will really be something to shout about.

Beast wishes,

Col.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, notevenclose said:

Ve haf vays of getting you dummkopfs to buy der extra power supples...

I’m not of the age to do so but i think I just wet myself.

Fecking hilarious but at the same time so bloody true. You’ve got to give it to them. They are most successful vendor of power supplies to mankind and they ain’t half done well selling something called ‘hifi’ on the dirty side. 🤣

Edited by A.S.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Goodtrader said:

Hi Fi is not something to look at its something you listen too and enjoy! 

If you weren't such a gentleman of the forum I'd suspect you were  calling my Radford 25 ugly ;)

And no interest in having a pop at a Hi Fi manufacturer here, we're all grown up and have choices, but here's the product history if of interest...…….

https://www.naimaudio.com/product-history

Edited by Ian
  • Haha 1

Can't really comment on Naim sound as not owned and only heard at shows but personally preferred when looked like this......

Maybe I am just strange or have old fashioned taste :D

Naim-Audio-NAIT3-01.thumb.jpg.46cf91176acbf841db943a9d291d016b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1