uzzy

Have a play with some felt (something for a rainy day or coronavirus isolation)

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

For the tweakers out there .. how about a dose of felt around your tweeter?  Not sure if it is another snake oil but hey ho it is worth a read and up to you whether you want to give it a try  http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diy_tweeter_felt_e.html?fbclid=IwAR2asqJAty1O_t1tezp7zYrBofr6gt4XRch6pbCu-k5P46LxCPPx0EKjOdk

focal_td120tdx_tweeter_felt50.jpg

Edited by uzzy
additional data

1 hour ago, uzzy said:

For the tweakers out there .. how about a dose of felt around your tweeter?  Not sure if it is another snake oil but hey ho it is worth a read and up to you whether you want to give it a try  http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diy_tweeter_felt_e.html?fbclid=IwAR2asqJAty1O_t1tezp7zYrBofr6gt4XRch6pbCu-k5P46LxCPPx0EKjOdk

focal_td120tdx_tweeter_felt50.jpg

Er...reminds me of a 70s adult film! 😳

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

My tweeters and woofers  have velvet around them!

vhfyYJeFg34FHqVyActtK5-1200-80.jpg

i remember russ does something similar

https://www.russandrews.com/focus-rings/

Oh @uzzy I rarely get involved in 2-channel , but you got me. I thought we were discussing this

D3FB4B52-32CE-4721-85A1-E057E7D45A60.jpeg.0745d1de1a11a2230e3325d45674c789.jpeg

• Haha 2

Didn’t someone like Jimmy Hughes recommend putting a cross made of thinly rolled blu tac in front of the tweeter? Not sure why the hole has to be oval- science not fully explained there 

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, mr neds said:

Didn’t someone like Jimmy Hughes recommend putting a cross made of thinly rolled blu tac in front of the tweeter? Not sure why the hole has to be oval- science not fully explained there 

It can be any shape you like - make all sorts and see if they sound different lol .. I am not sure if the colour makes any difference or the thickness of felt used .. LS35As have a foam square around the tweeter - so get some foam and play with that as well if you are bored on a rainy afternoon 

25 minutes ago, uzzy said:

It can be any shape you like - make all sorts and see if they sound different lol .. I am not sure if the colour makes any difference or the thickness of felt used .. LS35As have a foam square around the tweeter - so get some foam and play with that as well if you are bored on a rainy afternoon 

Its raining here...im chopping ash logs for my dad..sod the hifi. 🤣

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mr neds said:

He also recommended folding the corner of a curtain up, but not every curtain, they had to add up to an odd number in your listening room, and put a piece of paper into a paperback book

• Haha 4

Super Wammer
32 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Err, wasn’t that Peter belt? And isn’t the square around the ls3/5a made of felt, Uz? 

Yep thick felt pads not sure what sound difference foam would make - all I know is the KEF 101s aound better IMO without anything BUT perhaps they would sound better with a hunk of felt or foam lol 

2 hours ago, mr neds said:

Err, wasn’t that Peter belt? And isn’t the square around the ls3/5a made of felt, Uz? 

It may have been, but JMH definitely pushed it out to a wider audience through his magazine articles

I've never been one for snake oil, home bodge jobs or faffing with my hifi. But I was bored yesterday, and my hifi wasn't doing it for me, so I thought I'd try a variation of this.

I didn't have any felt but I did have some small foam blocks about the size of an elongated 50p piece. So I temporarily stuck one to each side of the tweeter surround on my PMC FB1s (just using a bit of double sided tape)

I wasn't expecting anything really, but I have to say I was amazed at the difference it made. It seemed to focus and improve the treble and brought the speakers to life.

I suspect it's worked because it cut down on reflections from my side walls (even though the speakers are well away from them), as I don't believe it's actually done anything the sound at the speaker itself. I suspect the reflections may have been interfering with the direct treble signal coming from the tweeter

Anyway, it's staying there. Best improvement for a while, cost £0

• Like 1

I think this is worth trying for good technical reasons not snake oil . Ive found thicker felt to be a bit more effective than the thinner kind. A square or oval shape hole should be better than  a round one to stagger any reflections off the felt edge but I think this is a very small effect.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

This is what I used on my LS35a clones

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/ls35a-t27-felt-tweeter-bbc-specification.html 

Edited by greybeard
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1