uzzy

Have a play with some felt (something for a rainy day or coronavirus isolation)

This is mine, seems to work well.

Can't make crap recordings sound good though

IMG_20200323_105729.jpg

8 minutes ago, flaxton said:

Purchased a pair of oval felt rings from Russ Andrews years ago. Just put them back on my tweeters. Not sure if it makes a difference to the sound though.

From my experience I think it's very room dependent. I have some hard side walls with little in the way if soft furnishing, so I think this helps and it also reduces the cross talk, although I have no proof

My Snells incorporate two of the ideas in this thread - the felt pad and the bar in front of the tweeter. As implemented by an acknowledged master speaker builder in Peter Snell, so perhaps useful in comparing approach.

The felt pad is placed on the outer side of the tweeter (mirror imaged on the other speaker). The bar looks as if it is made from metal and has a slightly tapered profile.
90FD1479-1456-431C-BD7E-75B92CDFC89A.thumb.jpeg.f0e53e563a60169d81e83c723c444bf7.jpeg

That kind of thing is intended to improve hf dispersion. If its working you should hear changes in stereo imaging etc. Im told the reason why driver manufacturers dont usually fit them is because they are fragile and easily broken 

9 minutes ago, zeta4 said:

That kind of thing is intended to improve hf dispersion. If its working you should hear changes in stereo imaging etc. Im told the reason why driver manufacturers dont usually fit them is because they are fragile and easily broken 

My DIY solution makes a massive difference to imaging, tightens it up, I suspect my room is shit

You could do one better and try a wave-guide surrounded by felt or thick wool:

tWU31hu.png