fled

help me choose a pre amp

Perhaps jumplng the gun, but im a whisker to owning a pair of 2a3 SET mono blocks. Now whats missing is a pre amp, I have only a pre out on my headamp.

The last pre i owned was a Naim 52 many years ago. So i realy need advice and direction.

I dont need a phono stage so just line level. 

Idealy valves for no reason that I like them :)

Speakers are Aspara HL1 105db

Budget, unsure but at this stage £1k

Cheers Phil

this chap has been trying to sell this for at least a year , its been on the site at least 3 times . nice pre amp , he may take an offer perhaps 

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Modwright_Instruments_SWL_9.0_Signature_Edition&p=preamplifier&prod_id=79220&offset=

others can advise too if will match

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

If you can stretch your budget a bit emporium have an SJS Arcadia at £1500 .....fantastic preamp and one you will never loose money on 

• Like 1

This forum is going to cost me ££

😱🤔

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Top quality design, components and build quality, plus if ever there is an issue Simon is around to sort it etc....buy an SJS amp with confidence.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A little more within budget, this looks a really intriguing pre-amp. I don’t have specific knowledge on it but it seems as though it could be very transparent - photocell volume control! - which might marry well in a high sensitivity system 

Edited by lostwin
Correction

Super Wammer

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, lostwin said:

A little more within budget, this looks a really intriguing pre-amp. I don’t have specific knowledge on it but it seems as though it could be very transparent - photocell volume control! - which might marry well in a high sensitivity system 

The guy said he wanted tubes lol ...  that is why i didn't suggest he looks at the Hafler DH101 preamp on ebay for about £140 which is seriously great value for money

2 hours ago, fled said:

Sjs appears to be well regarded here? 

Legendary is the word , folks hang on to them . No remote though . 

i thought I read sjs went out of business and sold off their pres for 999, so 1500 for a used is not great

Not a chance , sjs is highly sought after. They are active on forums and have new models which have very big fans . He is still upgrading old models. A 1.7 sold recently and another chap got the new pre amp recently. Look up sjs resuscitated on Google   

Lovely amps ,...spoke to simon in munich and at Bristol show this year,.... top man who really knows his stuff.

they really are quality and always updated and repairable.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, stevebrown said:

i thought I read sjs went out of business and sold off their pres for 999, so 1500 for a used is not great

Nope.

Simon stopped making them for a while to concentrate on other stuff, but the business never stopped and there is now a new version. I can't remember who, but I'm pretty sure someone on the Wam has one of the latest ones.

I don't think I've ever seen one for less than around the £1500 mark. Having owned one, I can totally understand why, as well.

Apart from the fact that they are sonically right up in la-la land, the significant plus is that Simon has a reputation for looking after people. He'd also be able to advise about suitability, though I'd be extremely surprised if there was any issue.

• Like 1