9Cows

Audiolab 6000a and Dynaudio Emit M20

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

After trying to dig through the internet for days and writing to Dynaudio and Audiolab, this seems like a combination not very popular. I have heard both of these separately with different components but never together, as Audio stores for audition are not very common. So the option to audition these together is close to impossible. 

Question is I like both of these components and from the reviews I believe these should compliment each other, however,  can 6000a drive Emit M20s comfortably? The ratings on M20s is 86 dB (.83 volt/1m) and 4 Ohms impedance with a maximum 150 W RMS, which seems to be a problem as far as 6000a is considered, it is rated at 75 WPC at 4 Ohms but the nominal impedance is 8 Ohms delivering 50 WPC. Now specs to be considered, it should be able to play it, however, I am unable to find the sensitivity of the Amp. Is it even an option I should consider, I do not want to damage either of these and exchange options are not available in India. 

**Note - Speaker can be changed, but AMP choice is fixed as I have already got it :D, though I would love to buy the Emit M20s to go with this.  

Thanks!

Edited by 9Cows

Why not look at Wharfedale evo. One of the best ‘affordable’ systems at the resent Bristol Hifi show was audiolab and wharfedalw.

great match.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 9Cows said:

Hi, 

After trying to dig through the internet for days and writing to Dynaudio and Audiolab, this seems like a combination not very popular. I have heard both of these separately with different components but never together, as Audio stores for audition are not very common. So the option to audition these together is close to impossible. 

Question is I like both of these components and from the reviews I believe these should compliment each other, however,  can 6000a drive Emit M20s comfortably? The ratings on M20s is 86 dB (.83 volt/1m) and 4 Ohms impedance with a maximum 150 W RMS, which seems to be a problem as far as 6000a is considered, it is rated at 75 WPC at 4 Ohms but the nominal impedance is 8 Ohms delivering 50 WPC. Now specs to be considered, it should be able to play it, however, I am unable to find the sensitivity of the Amp. Is it even an option I should consider, I do not want to damage either of these and exchange options are not available in India. 

**Note - Speaker can be changed, but AMP choice is fixed as I have already got it :D, though I would love to buy the Emit M20s to go with this.  

Thanks!

My dynaudio's are driven very well by my t amp 7? Watts and bantam stealth amp 25 watts..dynaudio's like power they really shine on my 150watt quad amp and my 120watt roksan amp..think your amp will be fine..dont believe the twaddle that dynaudio's are hard to drive.. Aint so in my opinion.. I own dynaudio 40s and dynaudio 42s..now my AE1mk3s are hard to drive and need some welly..( my quad 909) hope this helps somewhat. 

Posted (edited)

@hlindenThanks for the suggestion. However, in India they are no where even close to a release with 1 Auth. Dealer taking pre-orders with no delivery date yet. Given the track record we are looking at at-least a year before it is readily available. Also there are almost no reviews for the EVO 4.2 online to even make it to the shortlist. Thanks you a lot though, I will perhaps keep it as a future upgrade option. 

Thanks @Nearly bewilderedthat's good to know, that's comforting. 

I would wait for a few more people with experience driving these two components - just to be doubly sure. Any other suggestions for speakers with similar sound signatures as Emit M20s.

**Note - I can only and only buy bookshelves because of circumstances out of my hand, so any suggestions for floorstanders is completely irrelevant in my situation. 

Thank you so much!

Edited by 9Cows

I’ve recently bought Emit M20s from Gary on this very forum. I run them from an Arcam A19, very successfully. I initially thought that I’d bought the wrong speakers, as I had to turn them up more than my Concept 20s, but eventually realised that it was just a different presentation - a bit smoother and laid back. Yes, they sound better loud, but name me a bookshelf speaker that doesn’t! ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mr neds said:

I’ve recently bought Emit M20s from Gary on this very forum. I run them from an Arcam A19, very successfully. I initially thought that I’d bought the wrong speakers, as I had to turn them up more than my Concept 20s, but eventually realised that it was just a different presentation - a bit smoother and laid back. Yes, they sound better loud, but name me a bookshelf speaker that doesn’t! ;)

Your dyns are smoother and laid back? Wow!...my dyns are boisterous and in your face!  But I will say the tweeters in my 42s are exceptional.. 

2 hours ago, 9Cows said:

Hi, 

Thanks!

One thing worth mentioning Is the speaker stands..they make a MASSIVE difference.. 

Super Wammer

It depends on how big your room is - the smaller the room the less the power needed to achieve the desired volume.

Try and get a home dem and see how the pairing works out .. otherwise to be on the safe side you need to either consider different speakers or a different amp.

3 hours ago, mr neds said:

Got mine on the Concept stands, which seem to work well, if a little bit too high?

My new stands are 760 high..much higher than my other ones..but I prefer it.

Posted (edited)

Thanks @mr neds - now this is the direction I was looking for. The Arcam - A19, is rated as (from their website): 

• Both channels, 8Ω, 20Hz—20kHz: 50W
  • Single channel, 4Ω, at 1kHz: 90W

From audiolab for 6000a:

2 X 50W (8Ω, THD<1%)
  2 X 75W (4Ω, THD<1%)

Now what does this really mean in real life on your Arcam A19? Are you only able to drive a single channel on 4 Ohms? Does it get very hot? How much can you push the speakers in terms of volume?

Also - Q A Concept 20s were very high on my list and they are almost half the price here in India, can you please tell me which one you prefer and why? Sorry, but this is exactly the two choices I have. I am asking as I have never heard them side by side.

@Nearly bewildered Thanks I will be getting the stands.

@uzzyThanks, the room is a little on the bigger side, but these will be facing me at around 2.5 mtrs approximately.

Thanks a ton!

Edited by 9Cows
  • Like 1

Also if here anyone has a direct comparison between the Emit M10 and M20, as M10s seem to be a lot easier to drive. The sad bit is,, both in India are exactly the same price - so feels a bit daft buying M10 instead of M20 but M10s seem to be a lot easier to drive. 

Please understand, I am not trying to go back and forth on what I am saying, however I have already got the amp so that is closed (we don't have options to try and buy here), I really like Q acoustics Concept 20s and they are cheap too, but when I heard the Emit M20s my memory says it was a lot nicer in a lot of ways, but memory may be faulty and I never got to do an A/B. There are no shops around here that let you demo components. So all I have is understanding the product a little better from those who have them and basis that make up my mind. It has worked for me in the past, my current systems are made very much in that way. 

Thank you all so much for the patience and guidance! 

OK, here goes....... as I understand it, the Arcam almost doubles it's output into 4 ohms, so there's no problem there! No flames coming from it so far ;)

My speakers are out in the room, i.e., without a wall behind them, so the Concepts were bass light. I use an old Ruark sub, to gently fill in the bottom end, which worked fine. They were also on the matching stands, which everyone says are essential. I don't know, but I got mine ex dem for half price and I never tried the speakers without them. The Dynaudios are less "lively" and forward, but the bass punches in a different league, even in free space, so much so that I can pretty much dial the sub out. Also, being much bigger speakers, they sound generally warmer. I'm still getting used to the change- some albums sound better than they ever have, some not so much. I have to say that the Dynaudio stands seems very expensive for what they are. What sort of thing do you listen to?

The speakers have a sensitivity under 84 db so 75 watt in 8 ohm is bare minimum if you like to play a little loud

237175255_2018-10-1011_02_44-StereoMagazineissue3_2016GoogleChrome.png.0c7ed59e2a1a5c36f453251e5271a031.png

Posted (edited)

@gasolin Thanks for chiming in - pardon me - but I am not entirely sure, which speakers have you given the measurements for? If this is for Emit 20s, I am guessing then Audiolab is perhaps going to be begging for mercy while driving these. I do not listen to music very loud, as I am very sensitive to loud sounds, but I believe, there are times, that is inevitable, specially when you are hosting, and people are dying to tell you the flaws in your system - even without asking. Seems like a lost cause - I really wanted to match these two. 

@mr neds Thank you so much again. I am not that concerned over the bass, as I do have the option to add a sub as Phase 2 over the next 3-4 months as I get rid of my existing Hi-fi - which is very difficult in India. 6000a also has a pre-out so I can work that in. I did, as I said earlier, liked the sound of Concept 20s a lot and them being half of Emit 20s price (without the stands), makes the decision easier too. I have also got a pair of Primeacoustic RX 7s recoil stabilizer pads on which whatever I get, will eventually sit- as the idea of stands has been shot down pretty sternly - LIFE. 

As you asked I very rarely listen to new age music, no EDM, no hip hop, no electronica, no heavy metal, no dance house, no rap, extremely little of the 90s pop you get the gist, not because I have anything against it, I just do not have the intelligence to understand it. I am primarily a rock, hard rock, blues, soul, funk, jazz, orchestra, acoustics, classical kind of person. My sources are Amazon Music (Not HD - not in India), primephonic and Quboz HD/master - with a FiiO M11 for now. I have a lot of ripped CDs in FLAC, but that is never used with this system. It is all streaming. Where Amazon Music keeps all my playlists, primephonic for all the classical - and Quboz for streaming to this system. I have also recently acquired about 50 odd mint LPs (covers not so mint) of really old German, French, Italian and Austrian orchestras, so eventually I will be adding an LP player to this mix, but we will come to that later. (Ignore the change of font - no idea what happened).

Edited by 9Cows