tIANcI

Battle of the Brits? Harbeth P3ESR & Rogers LS3/5a

25 minutes ago, DomT said:

And that’s after he criticised people for removing the metal connectors on the speaker terminals to use their own cable saying that the designer knows best. Maybe he is not the designer at all and just the figurehead.

What???!! 😳

17 minutes ago, toms wait said:

Don't ask me what model they were, about the size of Snell/Audionote K's and J's

Sounds (pun intended) like the C7s. They have a slightly wooly bass. I never really understood them. It’s like the adopted child of the Harbeth family. But me thinks it might be good for old school jazz etc. Kinda like how Audionote has its own sound signature.

4 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

What???!! 😳

Sounds (pun intended) like the C7s. They have a slightly wooly bass. I never really understood them. It’s like the adopted child of the Harbeth family. But me thinks it might be good for old school jazz etc. Kinda like how Audionote has its own sound signature.

Actually you could well be right with C7's, that was the bigger of the two tried.  The other was K size.  I was really hopeful of a BBC Rogers sound but just got noise.

Posted (edited)

Well ... the M30.1/30.2 does sound good. Natural mids. But lush they are not. If one is into the modern sound, then they won’t enjoy the Harbeth sound. To each their own.

ps I find AN speakers sounds interesting. Not my cuppa tea but I can understand why people like them.

Edited by tIANcI

1 hour ago, toms wait said:

I heard 2 different sets of Harbeths at a NW dealer when I was going to replace my H6's (again) and I really didn't like them.  No bass, mostly top end and no finesse whatsoever.  This will no doubt annoy owners but to be fair they were straight out of the boxes.  Don't ask me what model they were, about the size of Snell/Audionote K's and J's. No idea what the amp was at the time, in the dealers demo room I seem to recall it was Rega or Arcam. 

I wanted to like them as I had Rogers LS4a's when I first got into separates, the rest was LP12 and Cyrus 1 in 1990.  They were really nice despite the metal dome tweeter.

Would like some big Rogers monitors for the BBC terry Wogan stuck in a timewarp Radio 2 sound I recall from my teens, recording stuff onto a reel to reel recorder. 

For a BBC sound on a budget, I can highly recommend the original soft dome tweeter Rogers Ls6 or Ls7. These are more forgiving in the treble than the Studio 1 and don't need a lot of grunt.  I fixed my parents up with a set of Ls 6 and a Sugden Optima 80 (40wpc) integrated, giving plenty of BBC esque tone for not much outlay.

5 minutes ago, graham67 said:

For a BBC sound on a budget, I can highly recommend the original soft dome tweeter Rogers Ls6 or Ls7. These are more forgiving in the treble than the Studio 1 and don't need a lot of grunt.  I fixed my parents up with a set of Ls 6 and a Sugden Optima 80 (40wpc) integrated, giving plenty of BBC esque tone for not much outlay.

Going to have a look around.......

3 hours ago, deggie said:

Hmmmm I think he would question why you changed the tweeter and point out that your warranty is void

the chances are he wouldn't be happy as he wasn't when Devialet indroduced SAM for all the Harbeth models and he was wailing he won't honour the warranty if Davialet users damage his speakers ( can't find the link but it was on HUG). 

31 minutes ago, dari said:

the chances are he wouldn't be happy as he wasn't when Devialet indroduced SAM for all the Harbeth models and he was wailing he won't honour the warranty if Davialet users damage his speakers ( can't find the link but it was on HUG). 

Frequency correction, ala DSP, will cause warranty to be void? Will using the tone controls or loudness control also void the warranty? 😬

yeah, I thought the same back then.. plus he was the one who said tone controls are useful... I know more business owners full of c...

5 hours ago, dari said:

yeah, I thought the same back then.. plus he was the one who said tone controls are useful... I know more business owners full of c...

AS will say he was referring to Quad’s tilt system. Tilt is not the same as your ordinary tone control. 😂

IMO (not that it’s worth much), his gripe with SAM is that he can’t get anything from them and it’s a hit on his ego that the speaker can be improved by anyone other than Harbeth.

5 hours ago, tIANcI said:

AS will say he was referring to Quad’s tilt system. Tilt is not the same as your ordinary tone control. 😂

IMO (not that it’s worth much), his gripe with SAM is that he can’t get anything from them and it’s a hit on his ego that the speaker can be improved by anyone other than Harbeth.

Quite possible 😜 

No matter how we look at it the P3ESR are sweet sounding speakers. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dari said:

Quite possible 😜 

No matter how we look at it the P3ESR are sweet sounding speakers. 

Yes they are ... as long as you listen to how AS wants you to use them 😂🤣

I’ve hears of after sales service but after sales nanny-ing? 🙄

• Haha 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, tIANcI said:

The Harbeth SAM was done in hifi shop in London. I was there are the time it didn’t seem very scientific or well done. Mind you if I watched open heart surgery I wouldn’t know if they were doing it correctly either so who knows. Or maybe that was a trial run and they did it properly later? 

Just to say that it’s impossible to improve the speaker as all amplifiers sound the same 😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by DomT
Amps sound the same

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DomT said:

Just to say that it’s impossible to improve the speaker as all amplifiers sound the same 😂😂😂😂😂

OMG! You cannot trust the French. Did they not get the memo? 🤣

Edited by tIANcI

On 06/04/2020 at 14:46, tIANcI said:

What would happen if I were to go to HUG (I’m a member) and post how much I love my H’beth P3Heresy? Since he wants to compare his stuff with others, might he be able to accept that I prefer the P3ESR with the SEAS TFF1 tweeter? Costs a lot cheaper To upgrade tweeter than buying XD series. 😂🤣

Do it - would be fun. I met Alan Shaw at Bristol and he was very willing to engage in debate.

I have some Stirling Ls3/5a V2's - sound lovely. And I think they have replica 'specially prepared' SEAS drivers and Scanspeak units in rather than the original KEF's - maybe same as yours ?

I recall reading that the V3's were like the V2's but with an 'improved' crossover.