Battle of the Brits? Harbeth P3ESR & Rogers LS3/5a

tIANcI

1 minute ago, tIANcI said:

Interesting ... I just been a little hardworking. I moved my Harbeths for nearfield listening. It’s nice. Finally, got it even nearer, not too much toe in. Am enjoying them more now.

93A06208-8EBE-4907-AA8C-DF367CF1E038.jpeg

Nice. What sub is that? A BK 400?

Do you use them with or withou the sub. or perhaps a bit of both when the mood takes you.

• Like 1

I have similar sized British speakers, I find I can sit really close and they still sound great, I don't have any toe in with mine, prefer it that way. More bass on mine if I sit close , almost like having headphones on sometimes xD

5 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Nice. What sub is that? A BK 400?

Do you use them with or withou the sub. or perhaps a bit of both when the mood takes you.

It’s a Rythmik F12. It’s set at 80Hz crossover and volume is just moderate. Got the most bass heavy song like ‘Way Down Deep’ to set it. It’s left on all the time.

4 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

I have similar sized British speakers, I find I can sit really close and they still sound great, I don't have any toe in with mine, prefer it that way. More bass on mine if I sit close , almost like having headphones on sometimes xD

Yeah! It gives that headphone feel when you get close up to it. It’s nice. There’s much more detail too esp on Roger Waters’ ‘Too Much Rope’

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

nice set up there

I’m happy with it. Not looking at chasing for the rainbow’s end. Perhaps a new DAC next year to go with the Silbatone n AudioSolutions set up. The Chord Hugo TT2 is more refined and smoother than my Mytek Brooklyn Bridge.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
51 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

That is what the original BBC monitors were designed for, of course, so I’m not surprised you like them that way.  It’s driving a larger room that exposes their generic weaknesses, inevitably.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

That is what the original BBC monitors were designed for, of course, so I’m not surprised you like them that way

Yes! We always forget the original purpose it was designed for and sit 6’-8’ away. 

• Like 1

I tend to pull my Spendor 4/5s to about 6ft away when listening, 2m apart, well clear of any walls, pretty towed in. Sounds very focused and immersive.

I find that the proximity of the back wall (behind where I'm sitting) can have quite an effect on the sound. The wall is about 1ft behind my head, but if I move just 1ft forward, the bass response drops off noticeably. 

@tIANcI those P3ESRs look lovely in that light colour. 

1 minute ago, dave6v said:

I tend to pull my Spendor 4/5s to about 6ft away when listening, 2m apart, well clear of any walls, pretty towed in. Sounds very focused and immersive.

I find that the proximity of the back wall (behind where I'm sitting) can have quite an effect on the sound. The wall is about 1ft behind my head, but if I move just 1ft forward, the bass response drops off noticeably. 

@tIANcI those P3ESRs look lovely in that light colour. 

I like them in Cherry. My first pair were rosewood but it was that red batch. I’m Chinese but it was too red for my liking 😂🤣

This evening I learnt a big lesson about distance from walls. My P3ESR are usually 3.5’ away from the front wall. For nearfield, it’s another 2’ away.

But that would mean each time I want to listen to my Figaro M, I need to move the P3s back. Would be a hassle. So I thought, okay. Move the couch forward. It’s easy.

Moving couch closer did not sound the same. Pulling the P3s away from the front wall made the sound, as you say, more focused and immersive.

As for that 1’ movement of your seating position might it be the node and anti-node?

I guess all speakers are made differently even if they look alike  - mine work well close to the rear wall, accentuates the bass a bit. I also have them on very solid wood stands with isolation platforms, also supertweeters perched on the top. Provides a lovely rich full sound for a small speaker. I don't have much choice with the positioning which is partly why I bought them (MAD 1920). They aren't fussy about positioning despite being rear ported.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2020 at 10:28, tIANcI said:

Stuck with the replacement tweeter 😬

Anyway that tweeter :dunno: I thought those Harbeth as standard were pretty much a holy grail for people as a final finished product, all tuned and designed to perfection by Mr Shaw. I have tried looking here but perhaps I've missed it and you've already said, but what was wrong with them that made you want to modify? Was it just not working as well with your amp/room or something?

1 minute ago, eddie-baby said:

Anyway that tweeter :dunno: I thought those Harbeth as standard were pretty much a holy grail for people as a final finished product, all tuned and designed to perfection by Mr Shaw. I have tried looking here but perhaps I've missed it and you've already said, but what was wrong with them that made you want to modify? Was it just not working as well with your amp/room or something?

It’s just a personal preference. I wanted a bit more extension on the highs. A smidge more. The SEAS 19TFF1 gives that without sullying the mids or upper mids.

10 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

It’s just a personal preference. I wanted a bit more extension on the highs. A smidge more. The SEAS 19TFF1 gives that without sullying the mids or upper mids.

oh ok, thanks for that, interesting. That really surprises me actually as it is one of Seas cheapest tweeters (that doesn't mean to say its not a great tweeter I will add). The thing is the usual Harbeth way is a metal one which if anything will give you more pronounced highs. But as you say it is always a preference thing and it doesn't matter as long as you are enjoying it more that's the main thing. Sometimes tweeter prices have no reflection on how good they are anyway but how popular they are maybe or how the price has increased over the years, you only have to look at the Scanspeak D2010 for that, although I do think that's a great tweeter as well. From memory I don't think I've had much experience of your replacement either, but I might have come across it in some designs I'm sure, I'm sure ProAc used it in quite a few Studio models and maybe Mission as well.

@eddie-baby ... the stock Harbeth metal dome drops off at 15k ... Alan was careful with his choice so as to ensure it’s more natural sounding. The one I used drops off at 20k but no bump.