Battle of the Brits? Harbeth P3ESR & Rogers LS3/5a

tIANcI

30 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

I’ve owned the LS50 but not the Meta. I bought the LS50 due to all the hype. If it’s between P3ESR and LS50 at same price, I’ll take the P3ESR for sure. There’s more refinement with the P3ESR but loses out on bass and being a hard hitting speaker.

But as you rightly pointed out, choice of music will be a big determining factor.

Need to get the local distributor to let me review the new Meta.

When updating my assessment of the Meta, I suggested that they were similar enough to be liked by owners of the Originals; yet have been improved enough, that they should be considered again by those who rejected the Originals.

I would have taken the P3s over the original LS50s (if at the same price...and might have even paid around £1400 for the P3s) - I'm not sure that would still be the case with the Metas. I would need to spend a couple of weeks comparing them to come to a conclusion.

Edited by CnoEvil

18 minutes ago, dave6v said:

Thanks @tIANcI that's an interesting write up of your thoughts. 

I've never heard the P3esr, but would love to see how it stacks up against the Spendor 4/5, which is fantastic in my view (and substantially cheaper at £1,600). Having a reworked 150mm drive unit, compared to the P3's 110mm presumably means fuller, deeper response too. 

Yes the Spendor is a different speaker to the p3 (although I'm guessing there are big similarities), but I certainly prefer it to the outgoing Ls50, particularly on unlikely genres of electronic, ambient or pop music, which surprised me, but basically down to how amazingly controlled, tight and coherent it sounds, coupled with its imaging capabilities. And of course acoustic or jazz sounds sublime. The only genre I find it lags behind is on Rock music or higher energy indie records. But - fingers crossed - hopefully a sub will address that. 

The 4/5 are great and underrated. Spendor made some other ‘speakers in that territory that deserve consideration. The D1 was brilliant https://www.hifichoice.com/content/spendor-d1-£1795 as well as the Quad 10ls which was made by Spendor in the UK and was not related to the later Chinese models. The S3/5 was interesting but not quite up to the standard of the other ones mentioned here (though cheaper). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

@tIANcI Thanks for the comparison, interesting, did you play any rock music at the demo at all?:geek:

No I did not. You know how the P3 works with rock. Can’t push it hard.

12 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Thats the next level of rip off.

The local distributor was kinda disappointed I bought the AudioSolutions Figaro M and not the W8 😬 No regrets mate.

l thought the P3's were quite disappointing on rock ( size of speakers, drive units etc), when l had them here, also found myself not getting any sense of enjoyment on some music instead marvelling at the incredible sound quality of the P3's, was wondering  if they had improved in the XD-which again we all listen for different things.:)

Variety is certainly the spice of life.:geek:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

Dinner time! Pork chop with sautéed onion & apples and mash.

That’s looks delicious, but I can’t imagine having that when it’s 27C outside!  Seriously, re the speakers, does the temperature and/or humidity have any bearing do you think?  Are your local prices comparable with the UK, e.g 2.5 times the cost of the LS50 Meta?

7 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

That’s looks delicious, but I can’t imagine having that when it’s 27C outside!  Seriously, re the speakers, does the temperature and/or humidity have any bearing do you think?  Are your local prices comparable with the UK, e.g 2.5 times the cost of the LS50 Meta?

I can’t say how much humidity etc plays a role. Would not know how to figure that out.

One long time distributor retired back in Dec 2019. We were buying P3ESR for a mere £1,200. Now it’s back up about £1,800. Meta here is about £1k.

When it’s 27C you need a cold beer!

Anyways, I set my P3ESR now for nearfield listening. It’s about 4.5’ away. A bit of a pain when I want to listen to my Figaro M.

EAE6DBCE-0C53-42C7-9A2C-1361376D8BC2.jpeg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

It may affect longevity.  Records die out there and storage is important. I wonder what it does to adhesives and Bextrene.

I like Malaysia. Penang is one of my favourite places. 

Edited by HectorHughMunro

31 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

I like Malaysia. Penang is one of my favourite places. 

That’s my hometown ... it’s kinda over developed now. Lost its charm. Was super nice before say 1998. You enjoyed the street food?

19 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

That’s my hometown ... it’s kinda over developed now. Lost its charm. Was super nice before say 1998. You enjoyed the street food?

My in-laws say it’s like Singapore decades ago. Yes, the street food was good but the restaurants were better. This was our favourite https://www.cheongfatttzemansion.com/restaurants/indigo-at-the-blue-mansion/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

My in-laws say it’s like Singapore decades ago. Yes, the street food was good but the restaurants were better. This was our favourite https://www.cheongfatttzemansion.com/restaurants/indigo-at-the-blue-mansion/

It’s a labour of love by an architect. He started it long time ago with artisans from China. I like it but the rear portion was kinda more modern.

This is one of my favorite restorations:

http://www.yengkenghotel.com

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

It’s a labour of love by an architect. He started it long time ago with artisans from China. I like it but the rear portion was kinda more modern.

This is one of my favorite restorations:

http://www.yengkenghotel.com

Have you ever happened across Jo Ki?  He’s more out towards KL than your part of the world http://analoguefellowship.com/2019/11/08/jo-ki-true-connoisseur-of-fine-audio/ he was reputed to be the world leader in terms of LS3/5a speaker placement and apparently doing remarkable things without spending that much money.

There’s quite a LS3/5a community out in Malaysia/Hong Kong/Singapore & Japan.  Presumably because of room size. My perception was that there were some differences between Asia vs the UK at the time when I was most interested in them. The pinnacle of stands out there were Foundation Designer II where IFDesigns Tallis were the state of the art here.  The modern variants like the Stirling seemed to do better here whereas in Asia, the originals were preferred. 

14 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Have you ever happened across Jo Ki?  He’s more out towards KL than your part of the world

I’m in touch with him but not yet meet up. Would love to listen to his collection of LS 3/5a.

Here’s a recording of mine.

• Like 3

I've never heard a Harbeth or Rogers, though would like to. I had a pair of modern Spendor SA1s a while ago (with a T3 sub). I really enjoyed them. I read that Harbeths need a lot of watts and are sometimes accused of being 'relaxed'. Is that fair? 

3 minutes ago, Ashmash said:

I've never heard a Harbeth or Rogers, though would like to. I had a pair of modern Spendor SA1s a while ago (with a T3 sub). I really enjoyed them. I read that Harbeths need a lot of watts and are sometimes accused of being 'relaxed'. Is that fair? 

So such thing as needing a ton of watts. It reaches a smidge under 6 ohms at lowest. I’ve tried them with a Class A 10w for fun. Desktop application it’s ok. Other than that, no way.

It can be called relaxed when compared with say a KEF or ProAc.