Battle of the Brits? Harbeth P3ESR & Rogers LS3/5a

tIANcI

21 hours ago, tuga said:

This for me is a contradiction.

A tweeter with "sparkle" attracts attention to itself and is usually the result of a resonance or distortion of some sort.

It may sound nice to some people though.

For me, treble should be a natural extension of the midrange. If the response is flat and I can't hear the tweeter then I know it's a good one.

If you can’t hear the tweeter it’s probably because an internal wire is disconnected😂😂😂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DomT said:

If you can’t hear the tweeter it’s probably because an internal wire is disconnected😂😂😂

Yo Dom ... how’s the 909 coming along?

10 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

Yo Dom ... how’s the 909 coming along?

Quad 909 is coming along great. No major complaints so far and it doesn’t get too hot which is a relief.  It has a slight sheen in the upper mids and with the P3s I have a lot of clarity now and need to get used to what I am hearing. Really great system to listening to complex effects chains though. 

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Returning to the headline comparison, I see that Alan Shaw of Harbeth has spent some of his R&D budget on some recent LS3/5a products, and measured them versus an original spec BBC model made by Harbeth.  He has published the results in his Harbeth User Group, here.  See post #170...

https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/threads/which-harbeth-is-best-for-me-new-users-ask.87/page-9

I was particularly interested in descriptions of the bass cone bottoming out, as that’s what I remember in the originals, bearing in mind our highest quality source in those days was far-from-perfect LPs.  They seemed both inefficient and lacking power handling - not a great combination!  I’d love to hear some new ones as I’m sure today’s clean digital sources are much more akin to the original outside broadcast feeds they were designed for. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Returning to the headline comparison, I see that Alan Shaw of Harbeth has spent some of his R&D budget on some recent LS3/5a products, and measured them versus an original spec BBC model made by Harbeth.  He has published the results in his Harbeth User Group, here.  See post #170...

https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/threads/which-harbeth-is-best-for-me-new-users-ask.87/page-9

I was particularly interested in descriptions of the bass cone bottoming out, as that’s what I remember in the originals, bearing in mind our highest quality source in those days was far-from-perfect LPs.  They seemed both inefficient and lacking power handling - not a great combination!  I’d love to hear some new ones as I’m sure today’s clean digital sources are much more akin to the original outside broadcast feeds they were designed for. 

Only visible to his acolytes as membership is required to view 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DomT said:

Only visible to his acolytes as membership is required to view 😂😂😂

As usual, you never know when the Science ends and the Marketing begins...

16 minutes ago, tuga said:

As usual, you never know when the Science ends and the Marketing begins...

I believe that Mr Shaw is an 80/20 man - 80% marketing. I love his speakers but am seriously put off the brand by his opinion on things which is why I started with Proac when searching for monitors for the studio.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What would happen if I were to go to HUG (I’m a member) and post how much I love my H’beth P3Heresy? Since he wants to compare his stuff with others, might he be able to accept that I prefer the P3ESR with the SEAS TFF1 tweeter? Costs a lot cheaper To upgrade tweeter than buying XD series. 😂🤣

Edited by tIANcI
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

What would happen if I were to go to HUG (I’m a member) and post how much I love my H’beth P3Heresy? Since he wants to compare his stuff with others, might he be able to accept that I prefer the P3ESR with the SEAS TFF1 tweeter? Costs a lot cheaper To upgrade tweeter than buying XD series. 😂🤣

Do it do it do it do it xD

Hmmmm I think he would question why you changed the tweeter and point out that your warranty is void

yes do it .......see if he has a sense of humour .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, deggie said:

Hmmmm I think he would question why you changed the tweeter and point out that your warranty is void

yes do it .......see if he has a sense of humour .

Warranty? Hmmmm ... where I come from, warranty ... it’s ok nmind, don’t need it. 😂🤣

I don’t think they can take it at HUG. Been there. Given up.

When AS stated using tube amps on a well designed speaker as his is akin to driving a BMW with tyre pressure of say maybe 24psi ... that was it for me. Sheer arrogance.

I informed him that when a Harbeth is sold it must come with a restrictive covenant. No tube amps etc. Whatever ...

41 minutes ago, Ian said:

Do it do it do it do it xD

Instigator! Lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

Warranty? Hmmmm ... where I come from, warranty ... it’s ok nmind, don’t need it. 😂🤣

I don’t think they can take it at HUG. Been there. Given up.

When AS stated using tube amps on a well designed speaker as his is akin to driving a BMW with tyre pressure of say maybe 24psi ... that was it for me. Sheer arrogance.

I informed him that when a Harbeth is sold it must come with a restrictive covenant. No tube amps etc. Whatever ...

Instigator! Lol

To alienate many potential customers is a great move on his part. Maybe that’s why he had to put prices up?

12 minutes ago, DomT said:

To alienate many potential customers is a great move on his part. Maybe that’s why he had to put prices up?

Can’t reason with him, can’t reason with the hardcore members at HUG. It’s like a cult.

But as much as they say cables etc don’t make a difference, AS releases a speaker that costs more which has improved binding posts and internal wiring. Yup ... 80% marketing.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

Can’t reason with him, can’t reason with the hardcore members at HUG. It’s like a cult.

But as much as they say cables etc don’t make a difference, AS releases a speaker that costs more which has improved binding posts and internal wiring. Yup ... 80% marketing.

And that’s after he criticised people for removing the metal connectors on the speaker terminals to use their own cable saying that the designer knows best. Maybe he is not the designer at all and just the figurehead.

I heard 2 different sets of Harbeths at a NW dealer when I was going to replace my H6's (again) and I really didn't like them.  No bass, mostly top end and no finesse whatsoever.  This will no doubt annoy owners but to be fair they were straight out of the boxes.  Don't ask me what model they were, about the size of Snell/Audionote K's and J's. No idea what the amp was at the time, in the dealers demo room I seem to recall it was Rega or Arcam. 

I wanted to like them as I had Rogers LS4a's when I first got into separates, the rest was LP12 and Cyrus 1 in 1990.  They were really nice despite the metal dome tweeter.

Would like some big Rogers monitors for the BBC terry Wogan stuck in a timewarp Radio 2 sound I recall from my teens, recording stuff onto a reel to reel recorder.