Sign in to follow this  
kelly200269

The Importance of Social Forums in Covid-19 Isolation

I just wanted to say how important these forms of communication are, in these extraordinary times.

I’ve never met anyone personally from/via the forum, but (through various threads) seem to be in regular contact with many people, albeit in the ‘virtual world’.

I now face the prospect myself of self-isolation in the near future, if/when the UK Government decide the impose self-isolation for ‘vulnerable adults’ (I suffer from Asthma).

I just wanted to stress that forums do indeed play a valuable role in maintaining the social fabric of society, and staving-off isolation and poor mental-health.

Let’s all ‘Be Careful Out There’, and look-after each other in these testing times...

My best wishes to you all.

50A34999-A176-4159-A0CD-E1BF22B00045.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Well said!

I am in Seattle and have been enduring this “situation” in one of the world’s HOT SPOTS. It is both unnerving and surreal. 

Without getting too political I am thankful for the Governor of our state of Washington and immensely disappointed with our President. 

To my U.K. and EU friends: please research proper hand washington technique. Your lifetime habit of quick rinsing and shaking your hands dry  might just kill you...

• Like 2

I agree with both of you, well said.

The forum is a lifeline for us, to connect with the world and hear about other people’s lives and experiences, and learn something about music and Hifi.

As a health professional, I know that at least 25% of men and at least 15% of women do not wash their hands after using the washroom.

This has facilitated the spread of colds, flus and other transmitted diseases immeasurably.

In these times of Covid-19, it is even more critical to wash our hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.

I am very concerned about all the young people that think they are immune to the virus because they think it doesn’t effect young people, and take no precautions, without realizing the people that they could be infecting as carriers of the virus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, PhotoMax said:

To my U.K. and EU friends: please research proper hand washington technique. Your lifetime habit of quick rinsing and shaking your hands dry  might just kill you...

Oh, we are taught a 30 second procedure as well. :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

As a health professional, I know that at least 25% of men and at least 15% of women do not wash their hands after using the washroom.

What do you do/work as Paul?

37 minutes ago, PhotoMax said:

Your lifetime habit of quick rinsing and shaking your hands dry  might just kill you...

I work as a dentist, and I’ve probably washed my hands 50 times today. They’re actually sore from washing now :(

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

What do you do/work as Paul?

Whether or not Paul tells us, his professional background enables him to speak with considerable authority on these issues.

Paul: would you advise that I should was my hands both before and after using my LP12? :) 

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

If/when BoJo makes the announcement that I’ll have to stay at home for 12 weeks, I have several thousand LP’s that I haven’t listened to in YEARS. What a luxury, now that I’ve recently upgraded my LP12 (assuming I haven’t caught the virus by then!?) ;-)

• Like 1

I must admit that until recently (yesterday!) I was also guilty of underestimating Corona. I'm now slowly beginning to wonder what sort of world we're going to be living in when this is over - in 6, 12, 24 or god knows how many months. I somehow suspect that a lot of things will be different!

That said, I have to agree, that as things possibly go from bad to worse, the contacts that we have via forums like this (even if I lurk, more than I post) will be very welcome as we are (I expect) forced to spend more time at home with ever less external contacts. At least we have our music to enjoy, while waiting for the time to go by!

Cheers

Roy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Whether or not Paul tells us, his professional background enables him to speak with considerable authority on these issues.

Paul: would you advise that I should was my hands both before and after using my LP12? :) 

David

Thank you very much David.

I was a cog in the machine to ensure the health and safety of Canadians.

I spent a lot of time investigating food-bourne illness, and ensuring the food supply was safe. Early in my career I  was investigating the Red Cross blood supply to mitigate the collection of blood would not transmit disease. This was at a time when there was transmission of HIV, hepatitis C and other things, for which testing methods were not well developed. It was truly heartbreaking to read the confidential letters that doctors had to send out to their patients that tested positive for HIV at a time when there was no treatments available.

I no longer cog, and work as a consultant for a couple of companies 

David, I have no advise on washing your hands before and after playing vinyl, but our hands do contain a lot of natural oils that can smug the surface, with our fingerprints.  

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

David

Paul doesn't have an LP12, so if I may; wash your hands before putting on gloves before touching your LP12.

36 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

I work as a dentist, and I’ve probably washed my hands 50 times today. They’re actually sore from washing now :(

I just got a text from my dentist. My cleaning appointment for Thursday will be rescheduled based on guidance from the American Dental Association, and the Washington State Dept. of Health.

19 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I just got a text from my dentist. My cleaning appointment for Thursday will be rescheduled based on guidance from the American Dental Association, and the Washington State Dept. of Health.

I got a reminder call from my dentist earlier today. My appointment will proceed as normal....

David

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this