DomT

Proac Tablette 10 vs Harbeth P3ESR etc

Super Wammer

Hello

As many will have spare time on their hands and there is great love for small monitors I would like to double check my thinking please on Proac Tablette 10s (or 10 sigs)

I want some small speakers for mostly nearfield listening at lower volumes in a smallish room. They will be placed on a Vitsoe wooden shelf at ear height. They will be on the end of a Marantz PM7000N. (I will also use them as a second reference monitor in studio but we will keep this thread hifi orientated). 

In addition they will also visit the lounge and be on the end of a Luxman L505uX to have a different presentation to my Harbeth SHL5s.

My rationale for the Proacs over the Harbeth is based on lots of reading users impressions and the odd review. The majority view seems to be that the Proacs are better in nearfield. And they have a ‘quicker’ or ‘faster’ bass response. The Harbeth is apparently a warmer more relaxed sound. I will have the warmer relaxing sound in the lounge with the Luxman/SHL5s. ATCs apparently need to be driven loudly and by a big amp. So in theory the Proac seems to be The One!

Am I making the right choice? Can’t get a comparative demo as Harbeth dealers tend not to be Proac dealers. Am limiting my choice to infinite baffle speakers over ported designs. Btw my first speaker was RCL Small Loudspeaker. RCLs were designed and built by Jim Rogers after he left Rogers.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/362821313711218082/

Thanks

Seems like sound logic to me. If you have the SHL5s you’re well covered with the Harbeth sound and I’d take the Proacs for the smaller space.

Cheers

• Like 1

Dom l have had both here on home demo and went with the ProAcs- however at very near field the Harbs may serve better- suppose on what sound and what genre of music you listen to.

Happy Hunting.:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarzan said:

Dom l have had both here on home demo and went with the ProAcs- however at very near field the Harbs may serve better- suppose on what sound and what genre of music you listen to.

Lucky man - am on the same hunt myself and these are 2 on my list :-)

• Like 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, Tarzan said:

Mostly 1970s and early 1980s funk, jazz funk, disco, new wave and electronica. No classical nor trad jazz. 

I am very familiar with Audio Note Es and Js. They are fast but not fatiguing. I don’t junk that my SHL5s are as fast. It’s this fastness without fatigue that I want. In a small package that’s good for nearfield and some midfield listening. 

How would you compare the two in terms of fastness, bass punch, bass depth and being non-fatiguing?

1 hour ago, DomT said:

Mostly 1970s and early 1980s funk, jazz funk, disco, new wave and electronica. No classical nor trad jazz. 

I am very familiar with Audio Note Es and Js. They are fast but not fatiguing. I don’t junk that my SHL5s are as fast. It’s this fastness without fatigue that I want. In a small package that’s good for nearfield and some midfield listening. 

How would you compare the two in terms of fastness, bass punch, bass depth and being non-fatiguing?

The ProAcs definitely have the bass you maybe looking for over Harbs also the music you note above l would again say ProAc, they are so musical and coherent that it makes listening to music a real joy.

When l had the baby Harbs here l was stunned as to how good they sounded- however my interest in music wavered as l focused on how good the sound was...… if that makes sense, listening to the Tab10 they get the emotion of a song over really well.

All that said if you are a tone freak the Harbs definitely win here, also the ProAcs need the best components with them and respond accordingly.

This was all in my room/system/taste- your priorities may differ.

Home demo is your friend here.:)

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

The ProAcs definitely have the bass you maybe looking for over Harbs also the music you note above l would again say ProAc, they are so musical and coherent that it makes listening to music a real joy.

When l had the baby Harbs here l was stunned as to how good they sounded- however my interest in music wavered as l focused on how good the sound was...… if that makes sense, listening to the Tab10 they get the emotion of a song over really well.

All that said if you are a tone freak the Harbs definitely win here, also the ProAcs need the best components with them and respond accordingly.

This was all in my room/system/taste- your priorities may differ.

Home demo is your friend here.:)

Thanks Tarzan. Your comments are similar to others which is why I have prioritised the Proacs. They are also half the price of the Harbeths and given that I already have the SHL5s Proacs seems to make sense. But I have got a lot on with a house move from U.K. to Portugal in just a few weeks and it’s a bit chaotic so can’t always be sure to have thought things through. Hence the sense check with you guys. 

• Like 1

The ProAc has that airy top end. Spacious. The mids are sweet but very very slightly recessed. Not a bad thing at all. I like ProAc with tubes. They just go so well together.

P3ESR is great for nearfield listening too. Just that it sounds different. No extra airy top. Mids are just natural. Bass quality is great for its size.

For me ... I say it’s apples n oranges. Depends very much on your preference and genre of music.

Harbeth for that natural rich tone. ProAc for that airy sweet spacious sound. 

• Like 1

It is a nice problem to have, run my Tab 10's with a hybrid and Tripath amp- both sound great.:)

Just now, Tarzan said:

It is a nice problem to have, run my Tab 10's with a hybrid and Tripath amp- both sound great.:)

Oh and the ProAcs can go loud, with BIG scale, dynamics and bass for a box so small.:rockin:

Super Wammer

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Proac is a bargain at almost half the price of the Harbeth

Still home demo both Dom to be sure.:geek:

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tarzan said:

Still home demo both Dom to be sure.:geek:

Just not worth it. For one I already have Harbeth SHL5. I have heard Proac Tablette Anniversary and hopefully will get to hear actual Proac Tablette 10 soon.  It’s for a second system with a very very modest front end so can’t justify the price difference. Home will be Portugal but no home demos in Portugal  

And lastly my flight back from Portugal to U.K. has been cancelled and after two days of trying can actually get to the front of any phone queue so I can’t do demo at that place either. 

Edited by DomT
Typo

On 17/03/2020 at 21:43, DomT said:

As many will have spare time on their hands and there is great love for small monitors I would like to double check my thinking please on Proac Tablette 10s (or 10 sigs)

First: Oh MY God.  I thought we covered all this? :roll:

Second:  Luxman???  You said NO, not affordable, and it was a lateral move.  And then got it anyway?  What happened to the PM11? What did I miss.

Third:  You change your mind more than I do! :D

Fourth:  I stand by my previous recommendation of the LS50 (tough if you have no air behind it) or the B&W 7 something S2.  I have no experience with this ProAc or the little Harb.  I also believe even your SHL5+ are better in the near field, but that's just me and my room possibly.

Fifth:  Where is the Leben?

Sixth:  I've got an Altair G1 in the house on extended Corona lockdown home demo.