DomT

Proac Tablette 10 vs Harbeth P3ESR etc

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Tarzan said:

@DomT The ProAcs do need some running in- was told this by the dealer and ProAc themselves- also told by ProAc to purchase the vanilla Tab 10 over the Siggies.... listening to mine now and they are super smooth- this is with some valves in the chain- could you try moving the speakers around a little also?:geek:

These are Proac’s demo T10 so well run in. Proac also recommended to my dealer non-sigs. I think that they need tubes a bit like the Senheiser HD800s do. I listened for about 5 hours yesterday but got a bit of a headache. The sound was ok to good for a lot of the time but on occasions too hot.

We are moving to Portugal so the room is similar but will be different. Need to think about how much streaming I will do vs other sources as analogue inputs sound better.

Would prefer a richer sound though. The B&W707S2 are richer compared side by side to Proac Anniversaries; the B&Ws were sooo much smoother but they seemed to lack something. But a dealer and some reviewers and owners have said that the 707S2s have a forwardness which I find weird.

However whatever I choose I will use for mixing and this is complicating things. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I have mad a schoolboy error and completely forgot that the 45cm of oak desk in front of the Proacs and the synth etc sitting on top of said table were not helping with this forwardness. Have just placed a four times folded woollen blanket on top of the entire table and the sound is much more balanced now. What an idiot. I blame all of the Coronavirus memes that I am being sent for making me crazy and forget the basics. 

Maybe these will be ok? More listening to do. 

• Like 1

DomT what were your conclusions about the Tab10 vs P3esr?  I see you have bought the Harbeth but did you write up your findings.  I know there have been a few threads of your stuff recently.  Just interested in your opinion of pros and cons if you have the time.

Super Wammer
26 minutes ago, firefuocco said:

DomT what were your conclusions about the Tab10 vs P3esr?  I see you have bought the Harbeth but did you write up your findings.  I know there have been a few threads of your stuff recently.  Just interested in your opinion of pros and cons if you have the time.

I can give a quick and dirty reply now (there maybe some nuggets ofninfo in this thread somewhere as well) and if I have time later this week or next will see if I can do more comparisons and write something more complete but am really getting stuck into making music now so I can’t promise. 

Listening done with Marantz PM7000N using HEOS/Tidal and various synths and a drum machine through Mackie VLZ4 mixer/Quad 909 power amp (interconnect SilverCore) speaker cables in both cases Atlas Hyper 3.0. No fancy hifi tables just Human Scale desk and Vitsoe wooden shelves to place equipment and speakers on. Harbeths needed Auralex pads but Proac didn’t.

This was not really a decision for a hifi setting as 80% of the time it will be for tracking and mixing but primarily mixing as I will track with Adam actives most of the time  

summary:

Proac Tablette 10 has a brighter more open treble than P3ESR but it did not appear to be more detailed than P3 so it’s just a style of presentation. The treble for me always had me slightly on edge even though rest of signal chains were warm.

Proac seemed to have a more transient attack in the bass. 

Harbeth seemed to show more musical expression eg vibrato on violin

Harbeth seemed to have a more realistic tone but this is difficult to say for certain because all of my instruments are electric and amplified. 

Proac much easier to position on shelf in studio. And bass less boomy on a shelf. (This nearly clinched it for the Proacs)

Harbeth was easier to listen to and work with over an extended period of time. (More important to me than anything else as you can always compensate for everything else).

Neither speaker is better or worse. Just choose the right speaker for the job. I hope that’s helpful to someone. 

Dom

• Like 1

Super Wammer

And just to confirm that I did indeed buy the Harbeth P3ESR. I found them on eBay and coincidentally from the same dealer that I bought my brand new SHL5s from 6 years ago! And what is even more weird is that they are in Edinburgh and I have been in London!!

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, DomT said:

And just to confirm that I did indeed buy the Harbeth P3ESR. I found them on eBay and coincidentally from the same dealer that I bought my brand new SHL5s from 6 years ago! And what is even more weird is that they are in Edinburgh and I have been in London!!

HiFi Corner then 👍🏻 That’s where mine came from 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DomT said:

What's the verdict - happy? Congrats on your new speakers :-)

Super Wammer
47 minutes ago, Paulq said:

What's the verdict - happy? Congrats on your new speakers :-)

Super super happy. Had thought that I had mentioned that here but it must have been in my ‘amp for P3’ thread. I bought a Quad 909 to go with the P3s and the sound is stunning to the extent that one of my keyboards sounds much better than I thought that it did so am now not selling it!

The Quad gives the P3s a nice punch and listening nearfield means that I am hearing all of the speaker and am not missing anything apart from really deep bass that the Adams give. But the P3s do go deep enough for the job that they need to do. Absolutely zero complaints.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
55 minutes ago, radiant red said:

HiFi Corner then 👍🏻 That’s where mine came from 

Yes. The name had escaped me. 

22 hours ago, DomT said:

I can give a quick and dirty reply now (there maybe some nuggets ofninfo in this thread somewhere as well) and if I have time later this week or next will see if I can do more comparisons and write something more complete but am really getting stuck into making music now so I can’t promise. 

Listening done with Marantz PM7000N using HEOS/Tidal and various synths and a drum machine through Mackie VLZ4 mixer/Quad 909 power amp (interconnect SilverCore) speaker cables in both cases Atlas Hyper 3.0. No fancy hifi tables just Human Scale desk and Vitsoe wooden shelves to place equipment and speakers on. Harbeths needed Auralex pads but Proac didn’t.

This was not really a decision for a hifi setting as 80% of the time it will be for tracking and mixing but primarily mixing as I will track with Adam actives most of the time  

summary:

Proac Tablette 10 has a brighter more open treble than P3ESR but it did not appear to be more detailed than P3 so it’s just a style of presentation. The treble for me always had me slightly on edge even though rest of signal chains were warm.

Proac seemed to have a more transient attack in the bass. 

Harbeth seemed to show more musical expression eg vibrato on violin

Harbeth seemed to have a more realistic tone but this is difficult to say for certain because all of my instruments are electric and amplified. 

Proac much easier to position on shelf in studio. And bass less boomy on a shelf. (This nearly clinched it for the Proacs)

Harbeth was easier to listen to and work with over an extended period of time. (More important to me than anything else as you can always compensate for everything else).

Neither speaker is better or worse. Just choose the right speaker for the job. I hope that’s helpful to someone. 

Dom

Interesting.  Thanks DomT.