gasolin

ifi power 12v 1.8a not compatible with Cambridge audio dac?

Ifi power supply 12v 1.8a  doesn't work with my cambridge audio azur Dacmagic, why? All i get is a very low distored sound

54960385_316round.promo_1.jpg.8670583d879243259d25e3d3a605bccd.jpg

540620924_cambridge_audio_azur_dacmagic_d-a_converter1.jpg.13d86a48373d0875135a2a54621630be.jpg

Super Wammer

I notice that the Ifi power supply shows a number of output voltages is there any adjustment on the plug or does it automatically switch . What you describe sounds like the Cambridge is being given a lower voltage supply than the required 12 Volt .

Another possibilty is that the polarity of the Cambridge Power Supply is different . The Ifi has a reverse polarity plug so that may be an option . Other than that then I can only guess that there is something wrong with the Ifi (as the Cambridge still works with the original PS) and you need to contact who you bought it from .

Because the Dacmagic power supply is AC, not DC. The rectification and smoothing is inside the unit, not the power supply. Depending on how the power supply section inside the DAC is implemented, feeding it with DC is first, pointless (as the rectification and smoothing is still in the circuit) and second, might effectively mean the unit is 'seeing' about half the required voltage.

All the external power supply comprises is a transformer, not a power supply, so there is zero benefit in replacing it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, bencat said:

I notice that the Ifi power supply shows a number of output voltages is there any adjustment on the plug or does it automatically switch . What you describe sounds like the Cambridge is being given a lower voltage supply than the required 12 Volt .

Another possibilty is that the polarity of the Cambridge Power Supply is different . The Ifi has a reverse polarity plug so that may be an option . Other than that then I can only guess that there is something wrong with the Ifi (as the Cambridge still works with the original PS) and you need to contact who you bought it from .

You buy the volt version you need

Have of course tried the white plug for reversed polarity

Edited by gasolin

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, rabski said:

Because the Dacmagic power supply is AC, not DC. The rectification and smoothing is inside the unit, not the power supply. Depending on how the power supply section inside the DAC is implemented, feeding it with DC is first, pointless (as the rectification and smoothing is still in the circuit) and second, might effectively mean the unit is 'seeing' about half the required voltage.

All the external power supply comprises is a transformer, not a power supply, so there is zero benefit in replacing it.

That will teach me to study the photos a little more . Please ignore my advice it would only have applied to a DC power supply . What Rabski says .

10 minutes ago, rabski said:

linear Power supply ? (to expensive)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Audiophile-Linear-Power-Supply-for-Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-Plus-12V-DC-/281391150457

Super Wammer

As Rabski said being a 12 V AC supply it will just be a Transformer stepping the current down from 230 V to 12 Volt . The linear supply would be no better than the Ifi as it is supplying 12 V DC not the correct AC which the unit requires .

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

But it should still work?

I tried my old (noisy) ifi iPower with my tube buffer and it sounds better than using the stock power supply

Edited by gasolin

You need to think about how a power supply circuit works, and where something is in the chain to figure out whether it can or will make a difference.

In general, audio circuits need a DC supply to work, with the actual voltage depending on the circuit. The mains supply is AC. There are various ways to implement this, but here, it is a transformer first (which just reduces the AC voltage) and then the circuit to change the AC to a smooth DC for the audio parts.

In the instance here, the external box is just the transformer. Within reason, as long as it is rated high enough to deal with the current, it will make absolutely no difference to the sound quality. The parts that could (or might) are built into the unit, not the external supply.

I am a firm believer in decent power supplies. However, there is absolutely zero benefit in using any linear supply or external so-called upgrade when the unit is AC powered and all the power supply components that matter are inside the unit.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, gasolin said:

But it should still work?

I tried my old (noisy) ifi iPower with my tube buffer and it sounds better than using the stock power supply

Not necessarily, no.

Feeding your dacmagic with a DC supply is like putting diesel in a petrol engined car.

Rabski is hogging the brain cells today.

• Haha 2

If you want to improve the sound of your DAC magic use better interconnects....i have no idea what interconnects you are using?