gasolin

Analaog cable from dac to amp

Someone recommeded me to buy a better interconnect between my  cambridge audio azur dac and my amp instead of trying a better power supply,transformer (ifi iPower).

So fare i have seen the Qed Performance Audio 40i (0.6m) which paul rigby, theaudiophileman  reviewed https://theaudiophileman.com/performance-audio-40i-interconnects-news-qed/

Is it worth upgrading and to what ? Atm i use a cheap 50 cm Clicktronic  interconnect and have used a 1 meter Qed performance graphite cable, both sound good, i regard the qed graphite cable as warm sounding with only a little difference when using the Clicktronic cable, both can be considered neutral sounding

If the  Qed Performance Audio 40i sounds (0.6m) better than what i have, i think it's kind of a sweetspot for me, perfomance vs price 

1659035571_cambridge_audio_azur_dacmagic_d-a_converter1.jpg.e855cb32b7d6f6432b6852d3d667d953.jpg

Super Wammer

You cannot really go wrong with QED cable, imo.  None of it is ridiculously priced, and they do present some reasonable engineering arguments for their designs.  As the 40 series is on offer from £29 from Sevenoaks, you shouldn’t be disappointed - though I’m not sure what price you pay in Denmark

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I have had very good experiences with Wireworld Oasis cables. I still have the Oasis 3 in use, but I guess the higher numbers are equally good or better. They don’t categorize as a really cheap cable, I’m afraid.

Not so well known outside France is Real Cable. I had the Real Cable Ca1801 between my cd and amp for a long time, and it was quite satisfactory and not expensive. It is still available on line. I upgraded to a Deskadel silver wiring to add some more brilliance to my system.

Edited by Gie663

Posted (edited)

£51 with shipping

Sevenoaks only have the 40 and it's from £45 https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-15840-qed-performance-audio-40-rca-interconnect.aspx

Edited by gasolin

Posted (edited)

Denmark

I was willing to pay what a ifi iPower cost so no more than that, it has to compete with clicktronic (short) and qed perfomance graphite

i sort of get better sound (in theory) from both my pc and cdplayer when only buiyng 1 good cable (my optical cable i just good quality)

Edited by gasolin

Super Wammer

Now I am a flat earther when it comes to interconnects but I have to admit that I have noticed massive differences in cables used for the analogue connection of CD players to the amp and so I would suspect the same is true for DAC to amp.   I shelled out on Sonic LInk (now Black Rhodium) years ago for my cd to amp connection and so I would suggest you get to try some Black Rhodium cables in your price range.

Ideally take your DAC to the dealer and get them to dem different cables and let your ears decide

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Unless it's a very revealing system i think it could be hard to do since i won't know the sound of the system.

If it's a revaling system will i hear it in my system? 

I don't think my system is super revealing or detailed, it's pleasant to listen to no agressive,pronounced  highs like B&W and focal can have and for the size a very good punchy and deep bass with a wide soundstage

Edited by gasolin

24 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Ideally take your DAC to the dealer and get them to dem different cables and let your ears decide

Yes. I'm sure any dealer worth his salt will be thrilled to waste er, invest a couple of hours demonstrating a handful of 30 quid interconnects – thinking no doubt of the vast profits involved.

To make the proposition doubly attractive, perhaps fake a hacking cough when you call to book the dem? 

To go down the comparison route, better to buy 2 or 3 online, experiment in your own system and return any you don't like or deem not worth the cash.

I confess I can't really think of any reason why a DAC to amp analogue connection should be especially susceptible to minor cable tweaking, and that's from the perspective of having several grands worth of cables about the place. 

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Yes. I'm sure any dealer worth his salt will be thrilled to waste er, invest a couple of hours demonstrating a handful of 30 quid interconnects – thinking no doubt of the vast profits involved.

Well there lies the rub - back in the 70s we would spend the time demonstrating cheap items - we may ask the customer to come back if we were really busy.   

The thing is about retail is if you treat a customer spending small amounts the same as you treat customers who spend a lot - those customers come back and buy more and more.   

So yes any dealer worth his salt will spend the time demonstrating cheap as well as quality gear ..   

• Like 1

Sometimes you got to try it.

The best cable in short length is clicktronic 50cm good basic quality(dac to amp), inakustik premium 75cm (denon tape deck, a little but still neutral) and 1 meter qed perfomance graphite (not used atm i used it for my dac to amp 0.5 is the percet legth from my dac to amp)

I have asked paul rigby (he reviewed the qed 40i) about the qed performance 40i , he said it would be an upgrade 

I have made an order for it and will see,hear if i can notice a difference, if it's really that good. 

https://theaudiophileman.com/performance-audio-40i-interconnects-news-qed/

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Well there lies the rub - back in the 70s we would spend the time demonstrating cheap items - we may ask the customer to come back if we were really busy.   

The thing is about retail is if you treat a customer spending small amounts the same as you treat customers who spend a lot - those customers come back and buy more and more.   

So yes any dealer worth his salt will spend the time demonstrating cheap as well as quality gear ..   

I do that with 2 stores in Denmark Av connection (there site can be viewed in english) and hififreaks

Av connection has somthing on selected items BUY & TRY 30 days risk free buy  free shipping and return

Edited by gasolin

3 minutes ago, uzzy said:

You're right of course in principle, but there are limits in practical terms. I doubt there are many dealers who'd even have a selection of 30 quid interconnects.

I'd still maintain sourcing a few online from the likes of Futureshop is a better option, the OP could then spend a week or more experimenting in a familiar system.. 

1 minute ago, gasolin said:

I do that with 2 stores in Denmark Av connection (theer site can be viewed in english) and hififreaks

Ah. Then the Danish equivalent of FutureShop then.

2 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Ah. Then the Danish equivalent of FutureShop then.

Mabye or AV CABLES where i bougth the qed 40i

• Like 1