michaelgb

Can i switch off Power amp section on an Integrated

Posted (edited)

At the moment I'm using the Pre-out section on my integrated (HK680) into a separate power amp.

Is it possible to easily disable the power amp part of the amp so it's not draining current ? 

Edited by michaelgb

Super Wammer

Short answer is probably no . While the power amplifier is not being used there will most likely be powers supply and other parts of the design that are shared by the Pre and Power sections which mean that one will not work without the other. I do agree with @mr nedsas the Power amp section is effectively doing nothing it should not be a drain on the Pre at all .

Assuming it's not running class A, the current drain of the power amp section will be comparatively small. The 'no' is also the correct answer to the original question :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr neds said:

If it's not being used, then it can't drain current, surely? It would need to be amplifying a signal, which it isn't ;)

The power amp stage will use less power but not none. Just being on my power amp uses somewhere in the region of 50 W.

Just looked at some pictures of your amp. It's got a pre or integrated switch on the back- surely this would disable the power amp by default?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As already advised the answer is almost certainly no. However, unless the amp is is very warm when touched the power amp section is probably using very little power. If when touched the amp is very warm or even hot then it will be running in class A mode and will be using a fair amount on energy. So unless the amp is particularly warm I would not worry.

Edited by wHIZZY
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, mr neds said:

Just looked at some pictures of your amp. It's got a pre or integrated switch on the back- surely this would disable the power amp by default?

The ones I’ve had act only to disconnect the two, but the mains does still feed to the power amp section. 

• Like 1

MAny thanks, the amp is just warm but not overly so. I've also switched off the speaker select switches.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MartinC said:

The power amp stage will use less power but not none. Just being on my power amp uses somewhere in the region of 50 W.

What is your 50W figure based on Martin?

I ask because I think if you were to actually measure it (maybe you have), you'd find the mains consumption to be well below that.

Edited by Gray

1 hour ago, Gray said:

What is your 50W figure based on Martin?

The value stated in the manual, which I doubt they'd choose to overstate. I can double-check the actual value when I'm home but I'm in the right ball-park.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MartinC said:

The value stated in the manual, which I doubt they'd choose to overstate. I can double-check the actual value when I'm home but I'm in the right ball-park.

Your finding will be interesting. 

We're not expecting 100% accuracy in current measurement / power calculation,  nevertheless I think you're likely to be surprised at how much below 50W it is.

Reading the eVo4 manual online, they recommend continuous power-up due to the low standby consumption. Call me old-fashioned (I am) but 50W is not low.

Interestingly, In the online spec. they quote the 'idle power draw' as 30W......presumably they're comparing it to class A when describing it as low.

Edited by Gray

You probably can, but it would involve cutting the power rails on the pcb feeding the power section. Not really advisable unless you're overtly handy with a soldering iron and know what you're doing (I do and even I wouldn't bother)

• Like 1

You can on my esoteric integrated to use as a pre amp.  On my gryphon integrated you can bypass the pre amp section to drive a 2 channel front end cinema system.... 

Just thought I'd check and the idle power usage of my power amp (Bel Canto eVo4) is actually 30W according to the manual:

http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/UG_eVo2.pdf

This is a Class-D (T?) design with 4 Tripath modules, and going by the figures in the manual for the eVo 2 and eVo 6 as well it looks like the idle power is 7.5 W per Tripath module.

Since 30 W on continuously would equate to 0.72 kWh per day I switch it off when not in use.