DomT

Interested in buying a 1980s Marantz CDP Am I mad?

Super Wammer

Have been thinking about maybe buying a 1980s CDP like my old Philips 104 but most likely a Marantz version. Some people say that they sound really terrible. Maybe they do! But I am just a little tempted. 

What do you think? What should I get? Some people sell completely refurbished ones with new caps etc. But I realise that lasers and mechanisms could be a big risk. 

I bought a Marantz CD 52ii way back in the day. Bitstream dac. Still sounds fantastic - rich like vinyl, and sounded better than my Roksan Caspian M2 CD, a £2k player ! Only recently edged out by a Marantz Sa14 S1 SE.

Would heartily recommend - I now have three of them !

Er, except I think these date from c1992

Super Wammer

I’ve seen nicely restored versions of the top loading Marantz CD63b that was my first player. I always loved the design, and at the time I really wanted the Meridian tweaked model, but it was way outside my budget. 

Tempting as they are, I think the novelty and nostalgia would soon wear off, plus I’d be worrying that some component might expire at any moment.  They weren’t actually very accurate, but they were easier on the ear than the first Sony, Toshiba and Hitachi models.  Weren’t they 14bit with oversampling?

Like Bigwig07 I had a Bitstream machine later on, and that was a Meridian!  It was lovely. 

All this said, you’d probably not lose much if you bought one and resold, and you might love it!

Super Wammer

Yep cd52 is the one to go for. 

I've just returned to an 80s cdp for my 80s based 2nd system, a Phillips CD600 which I also had one of back in the day. 

Super Wammer
42 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Yep cd52 is the one to go for. 

I've just returned to an 80s cdp for my 80s based 2nd system, a Phillips CD600 which I also had one of back in the day. 

Thanks Lurch but it’s a bit modern!! 

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, insider9 said:

Really depends on which you go with. Some are ok some are brilliant. 

Which are the brilliant ones?

Difficulty is judging against Philips 104... let me come back to you on this one. Meanwhile I'll have a drink :pint:

I have an original condition Marantz CD273 SE and a restored Philips CD104 if either of those are of interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Disarmamant said:

I have an original condition Marantz CD273 SE and a restored Philips CD104 if either of those are of interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PM sent

Super Wammer
On 20/03/2020 at 21:22, DomT said:

Have been thinking about maybe buying a 1980s CDP like my old Philips 104 but most likely a Marantz version. Some people say that they sound really terrible. Maybe they do! But I am just a little tempted. 

What do you think? What should I get? Some people sell completely refurbished ones with new caps etc. But I realise that lasers and mechanisms could be a big risk. 

nah just get a playstation 1 .. sounds much better lol 

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, uzzy said:

nah just get a playstation 1 .. sounds much better lol 

But it will look like a PlayStation. If I wanted something much better then I would buy a current Marantz. 

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, DomT said:

But it will look like a PlayStation. If I wanted something much better then I would buy a current Marantz. 

Aye ok but a playstation is available for pennies and the problem with both is - laser burnout .. you can get chinese replacement laser mechanisms but if I was you I wouldn't bother.   I do realise however you are not me and good luck in your quest .. 

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, uzzy said:

Aye ok but a playstation is available for pennies and the problem with both is - laser burnout .. you can get chinese replacement laser mechanisms but if I was you I wouldn't bother.   I do realise however you are not me and good luck in your quest .. 

It’s just for a bit of fun. I might be dead in a few weeks from Coronavirus might as well go out in 1980s style!!

• Like 1

I love them. PM me if you want an opinion on various marantz/Philips units of that time👍