DomT

Interested in buying a 1980s Marantz CDP Am I mad?

I've had my CD94 since new bought at Norman Audio 1989-90, only changed the belts twice and a few caps in that time.

Still plays in fact I have a MK1 and a MK2 one for spares and haven't needed the spares, touch wood.

So yes just do it but get a higher end one.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2020 at 21:22, DomT said:

Have been thinking about maybe buying a 1980s CDP like my old Philips 104 but most likely a Marantz version. Some people say that they sound really terrible. Maybe they do! But I am just a little tempted. 

What do you think? What should I get? Some people sell completely refurbished ones with new caps etc. But I realise that lasers and mechanisms could be a big risk. 

A nice few on this site.

https://www.vintagechief.com/

• Like 1

Good stack of gear....very expensive though.

Posted (edited)

Yes you're mad, forget it. Put the money towards a decent dac instead, all of the sound and better, newer modern components and no moving parts to worry about. Add transports, file payers, streaming whatever as you please

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

If you’re worried about the laser being unobtanium you could always do what I did with my Sony 337ESD and buy an entire spare transport and laser for twice what you paid for the player just in case it does die at some point o.O

• Like 2