Mike Milne

High Output Moving Coil

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, Mike Milne said:

Problem is no cantilvers or stylus to retip ( mislaid the bits in house move). 🙂

with a MC the cantilever usually snaps off so there is a stub into which they can fix a new cantilever .. they do not need the old stylus they will only put a new one on it .. check the cartridge to see if a stub of the old cantilever remains - if it does you are in business ... there is another company in the North East who I think will dismantle the whole thing and put a completely new cantilever in.  https://www.northwestanalogue.com/cartridge-repairs.html  I have not used them but perhaps others have and can comment.

Super Wammer
25 minutes ago, Mike Milne said:

The alternative for me is to go the lower quality MM route, not that keen on the suggested dj cartridge route in terms of likely quality despite being robust. The Goldring suggested I think might be similar to an old Roksan Chorus Black.  I went from this to the HO Hana and was a big improvement so reluctant to step back. I am already finding my current stop gap AT95e ( good though it is for low cost) a bit wearisome. I appreciate at the mo I will just have to try to be more careful to. 🙂

MM isn’t necessarily lower quality. There is a guy on another forum, I think that his name is Raul, he is an experienced guy and did a huge thread on reviewing many many MM cartridges. He literally named all the good ones. Just a thought. 

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, uzzy said:

with a MC the cantilever usually snaps off so there is a stub into which they can fix a new cantilever .. they do not need the old stylus they will only put a new one on it .. check the cartridge to see if a stub of the old cantilever remains - if it does you are in business ... there is another company in the North East who I think will dismantle the whole thing and put a completely new cantilever in.  https://www.northwestanalogue.com/cartridge-repairs.html  I have not used them but perhaps others have and can comment.

I’d normally agree with you Uzzy on a lot of things but personally, I don’t think any of the aforementioned cartridges are economically viable in my opinion for the work and for around £250 you can get a pretty decent micro line AT or Shabata AT for not a lot more, as Dom says, don’t underestimate a decent MM. My AT 750SH ousted the Hana I was using. 4CB945C7-8962-4F95-AC46-37F78A69693E.thumb.jpeg.d04dc7ed8be5b37dfd2a8afaa76872ce.jpeg

Super Wammer
26 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I’d normally agree with you Uzzy on a lot of things but personally, I don’t think any of the aforementioned cartridges are economically viable in my opinion for the work and for around £250 you can get a pretty decent micro line AT or Shabata AT for not a lot more, as Dom says, don’t underestimate

i do not disagree with you but having heard the results of an Expert Rebuild and where people love the sound of their existing cartridge sometimes they do not want to make the change .. I do not have this problem being a Decca Lover - rebuild every few years for £250 ish is a bargain in my books .

I do agree that some of the modern MMs are great (I could amost live with a Goldring G1042 and some others).  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Ah didn't appreciate that, will have a look later at the cartridge body's I have to see if any stubs left but I think might be outside my current fiscal wherewithal in any case. But worth investigating, the one thing lots of us will have now is time. 😒

2 hours ago, Mike Milne said:

I would be very interested in this but the problem I have is funds.  I would have to find a way of selling the 3x cartridge bits I have for £150?? (for all) making cost to me in extra pounds @ £225 which I can just about cope with. It might take me a while to sell bits sadly though are you in a rush to realise sale?  I did like my old HO Hana and I appreciate yours is a better one to. 

The alternative for me is to go the lower quality MM route, not that keen on the suggested dj cartridge route in terms of likely quality despite being robust. The Goldring suggested I think might be similar to an old Roksan Chorus Black.  I went from this to the HO Hana and was a big improvement so reluctant to step back. I am already finding my current stop gap AT95e ( good though it is for low cost) a bit wearisome. I appreciate at the mo I will just have to try to be more careful to. 🙂

Just keep in touch as it’s for sale currently but as yet no buyer found

18 hours ago, DomT said:

MM isn’t necessarily lower quality. There is a guy on another forum, I think that his name is Raul, he is an experienced guy and did a huge thread on reviewing many many MM cartridges. He literally named all the good ones. Just a thought. 

have you got a link?

I was hoping to get some insight at WAM show but that never happened :(

I'm currehtly trying to choose between AT 740ML, AT 750SH or Nagaoka MP200.  I've got an AT 95ML in another deck and that can be a bit bright and tiring over a long time so I'm thinking the Nagaoka more rich sound might be better.  

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, eatapeach said:

have you got a link?

I was hoping to get some insight at WAM show but that never happened :(

I'm currehtly trying to choose between AT 740ML, AT 750SH or Nagaoka MP200.  I've got an AT 95ML in another deck and that can be a bit bright and tiring over a long time so I'm thinking the Nagaoka more rich sound might be better.  

The 750SH is far from bright, very accurate and detailed but never bright. 

Thanks - I'm leaning to the MP200 or 750SH - probably it will come down to what ever deal I can find!

I did consider the Goldring 1042 which is another mid-range MM option

Goldring 1042 £245

Nagaoka MP200 £339

AT 750SH £359

decisions decisions

2 hours ago, eatapeach said:

Thanks - I'm leaning to the MP200 or 750SH - probably it will come down to what ever deal I can find!

I did consider the Goldring 1042 which is another mid-range MM option

Goldring 1042 £245

Nagaoka MP200 £339

AT 750SH £359

decisions decisions

I have a Roksan Chorus Black with a worn stylus ( I think It's worn i am not totally sure, not tried it for a long time so assumed when I stopped using it must have been ). I guess one of my options is just to put the relevant Goldring stylus on it? and see how that works as that might be a cheap option for me as I have read somewhere not sure if true but that Roksan body was a better design than the eq Goldring one -1042??

3 hours ago, Mike Milne said:

I have a Roksan Chorus Black with a worn stylus ( I think It's worn i am not totally sure, not tried it for a long time so assumed when I stopped using it must have been ). I guess one of my options is just to put the relevant Goldring stylus on it? and see how that works as that might be a cheap option for me as I have read somewhere not sure if true but that Roksan body was a better design than the eq Goldring one -1042??

thats interesting - I have an old Roksan Corus Blue - I never thought how the Goldring range mapped to the Roksans.  Anyone know?

thats interesting - I have an old Roksan Corus Blue - I never thought how the Goldring range mapped to the Roksans.  Anyone know?
I always understood that the Roksan motors were slightly improved over the standard 1042, certainly on the top end models. Think you can still get the Silver stylus, bit costly though.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, eatapeach said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the actual stylus carrier (that connects to the body) are slightly different shapes (one is oval and the other a rombus) and some have used Goldring stylus but it is not ideal .. A quick contact to Goldring should solve the answer to that one. 

1 hour ago, trick cyclist said:

I always understood that the Roksan motors were slightly improved over the standard 1042, certainly on the top end models. Think you can still get the Silver stylus, bit costly though.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Yep I see what you mean about pricey 😪

On 21/03/2020 at 18:56, radiant red said:

4CB945C7-8962-4F95-AC46-37F78A69693E.thumb.jpeg.d04dc7ed8be5b37dfd2a8afaa76872ce.jpeg

Audiomods Classic arm?    Beautiful!