What are people using to stream music to their Linn

18 hours ago, morbius said:

I was sceptical about Roon but have switched, so have ditched Linn apps, Minimserver and Asset completely. The Roon control point isn’t perfect, but it offers functionality that is way beyond Kazoo, and the new Linn app has been a great disappointment for me.

Yes - I had some hopes but it seems Linn is not able to deliver a competitive UI. Seems like I’ll have to try Roon at some point. So far I wanted to stay away from a proprietary solution but every time I use Kazoo or Lumin I run into their limitations.

6 minutes ago, mcgilroy said:

Yes - I had some hopes but it seems Linn is not able to deliver a competitive UI. Seems like I’ll have to try Roon at some point. So far I wanted to stay away from a proprietary solution but every time I use Kazoo or Lumin I run into their limitations.

The ‘new’ Linn control app (which is, in essence, just a ‘re-skinning’ of Kazoo) was a seriously missed opportunity. So, so disappointing. The Lumin control app, which has continually evolved over the last seven-or-so years, is still clearly superior.

A clear ‘miss’ from Linn here.

• Upvote 4

I'm using a QNAP 251+ 2x4TB WD Red and Minimserver. Kazoo is my control point. I also subscribe to Qobuz (HiRes) and often only use the ripped and stored music when it isn't available on Qobuz. Vinyl is still about 30% of my listening time. I'm very glad that I have a large large library on the NAS at the moment as getting Qobuz to steam over the last two days has been impossible - and I guess it could stay like that for some weeks (months).

Luckily I recorded the latest Qobuz Jazz Playlist to the Revox last weekend and so at least have access to that (all eight 10.5" reels  of it)!!!

Edited by Dasher
  • Like 1

On 23/03/2020 at 10:01, Fitter Stoke said:

I have a ZoneRipper and a Melco Z1 feeding my KDS, the Melco offering marginally better sound quality and fewer failed rips than the ageing ZoneRipper.  Truth be told, I could easily retire the ZoneRipper but I'm keen to retain as much storage as I can on the Melco.  I have a Tidal account but tend to use it only for sampling purposes: if I hear something I like I usually go on to buy it on CD or LP.  I'd never wish to rely on a streaming service for my listening, especially given the tens of thousands of pounds I've spent on records and CDs over the last fifty years.

Update: I'm now having to rely entirely on my old Zoneripper for rips as the Melco has decided (right at the start of Covid-19 lockdown, natch) to stick on its 'N1' display window and disappear from my network. That renders (or rather doesn't "render" at all) all the downloads and rips I've stored on there out of reach until I can get the damned thing looked at, and God knows when that will be.  Thank God for my CDs, LPs and (oh, alright then) Tidal.

On 24/03/2020 at 16:24, kelly200269 said:

The ‘new’ Linn control app (which is, in essence, just a ‘re-skinning’ of Kazoo) was a seriously missed opportunity. So, so disappointing. The Lumin control app, which has continually evolved over the last seven-or-so years, is still clearly superior.

A clear ‘miss’ from Linn here.

I feel the same (about ‘Linn’, that is - never really got on with Lumin either). Such a shame. I use Roon at home now, and Kazoo with Asset at our flat. I still play with Linn whenever a new beta is released, but only to check out bug fixes and new features.

Mick

from 3TB HD in my custom built PC running minimserver (most of the files are flac, either high-res downloads, songcast recordings of records on the LP12, or ripped CD's) - 1 floor up via PowerNet - KRSDM

No NAS, no Melko, no Netgear switches. Does this finally qualify me for digital hell? :p

(I have backups, though!)

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

10 hours ago, SeeSaw said:

That's interesting Wendy. That's reputed to be very good. Presumably you are using the Naim app as the control point (and you have other Naim kit as well)?

No, I use Linn kazoo as control. The rest of my hifi is 100% Linn, apart from Naim dac v1, which I use as headphone amplifier.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I tried the pi  + usb drive thing but felt  limited. Then I tried tidal. Trouble is that i have comcast and was constantly getting dropouts. So the next step was to go with a nas. I got a synology and put minimserver on it - much easier install and maintenance than a pi. plus i have 10x the space. plus i can store videos as well as back up functions.Ultimately, i would like to be able to have 'smart stations'- you know like pandora but with better quality. So much of what music used to be (talking about albums and artists with friends to discover new artists and tracks) has faded into oblivion. So exploring music is more of a chore because a random walk through cyberspace has a low yield for me. Plus I've gotten lazy. Sometimes I'm in a singing with sinatra state of mind, or a diana krall funk. But I know all their stuff and want to hear 'similar' stuff.

I know I can browse my collection by 'genre' but that's like saying I like furniture made of wood - it's too coarse and inaccurate. I wish there was a way to digitally fingerprint my collection so I could easily have my own smart stations. But then again that's like playing in a closed sandbox. Alexa integration would be nice but that will not happen in my lifetime so i still have to use a tablet and kazoo.

Roon would allow the play simiar

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/03/2020 at 11:46, CJ1045 said:

There is always another way of looking at things:

It narrows your music appreciation as you will never stumble on something new

Why own it when it will be worthless in 10 years.

1. Exactly CJ ;-)

2. I keep stumbling on something while I listen to internet radio stations etc, and sometimes even 'real' FM radio in my car. When I like what I hear, I check out the album and buy it on vinyl, as a high-res download, or as (quite often a used) CD.

3. Why would it be worthless in 10 yrs? I still own (and use!) LPs that I bought in my school days back in the 70ies. Admittedly, CDs probably won't last this long. I experienced much more broken CDs than the one LPs, which I lost (grilled) on a 60 W tube amp in the aftermath of a party. But todays I play CDs only once, when I rip them to the HD. My Madrigal CD2 is just decoration.

Sorry for the late reply.

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

• 2 weeks later...

I use an Inneos Zen mini2 along with an Akurate DS and its the best thing I have ever done cd wise that is. I don't doubt that a really top flight CDP would better it or even the top Linn DS but they are well out of my price bracket and what I have is far superior to any CDP I ever had. The other benifit is no CD's on show, I now have room for much nicer objects though my Lp's are still in my room. When I got involved I decided that the one I did not want was a computer in my system and thats one thing I have never regretted. Recently my Macbook died and I have had to buy another and guess what, like my old one it has NO disc drive but worse still it won't drive one so what would I do now? I have tried Tidal but decided it wasn't a good enough quality and didn't have much of my more speciality listen listening so that had to go. I also tried Roon but found that irritated me with all the stuff it wanted me to access, it just distracted my listening. I actually find that Kazoo does everything I want but that the new version is far too small for my poor old eyes so I don't use it. The Inneos is such an easy thing to use but it isnt as good sounding as my b in l's more expensive Inneos unit so I am going to add the new power supply as I know that will be a performance upgrade. He used to have another make of ripper but really was crap so i didn't even consider that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OldLinn said:

. Recently my Macbook died and I have had to buy another and guess what, like my old one it has NO disc drive but worse still it won't drive one so what would I do now? 

@OldLinn

I also love to have „no CD‘s on show“😀.

Although I am still buying CDs i havn‘t played any CD for ages: I just rip them with a 20 € CD drive attached to my Mac and dbpoweramp as ripping software. 

• Like 1