What are people using to stream music to their Linn

The streaming also runs via the Melco, right?

• 3 weeks later...

SOURCES:
Roon ROCK 1.8 running on Intel NUC i5 16GB 512 M2 SSD and External USB3 8TB Seagate DAS (located in home-office)
Qobuz Studio
FLACs on DAS
Spotify
Apple Music
LPs :)

IMG_1192.thumb.jpeg.6d04c955b6819ea2d21088b8094f1749.jpegTurntable : 
Linn LP12 in Walnut with;
Linn Kore sub-chassis, 
Linn Karousel,
Linn Lingo 4 PSU, 
Linn Trampolin 2, 
Linn Akito 3B Tonearm
Dynavector 20 X2H MC Stylus Cartridge

Streamer / Pre-Amp : 

IMG_1195.thumb.jpeg.2a17adbe2e9babc152c87431964d22bc.jpeg
Linn Selekt with;
Katalyst DAC (not used)

Speakers : 
Linn Series 5 530 Exakt (desperately wishing for Katalyst DAC update)

Control app :

IMG_1194.thumb.jpeg.2a7a7e037ed01d41aa8ddc90c5f33238.jpeg

Roon remote installed on iPhone / iPad / Macs

• Like 2

After adding a Silent Angel N8 switch and F1 power supply connected to one another with an Audio Sensibility Testament power cable and hearing the significant improvement to all streaming sources, I plan on adding a Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO MKII power supply powered with another Audio Sensibility Testament power cable to the Sonos Port. The Sonos is supplied with a cheap $2 external power supply plug. 
Given I listen to music via Primephonic every day at some point, and realizing the significant improvement to the SQ made by the N8 & F1 combo, this may also provide great improvement. If not, 30 day money back guarantee. I will report on the results.

• Upvote 1

On 26/03/2021 at 15:20, MarkA said:

Speakers : 
Linn Series 5 530 Exakt (desperately wishing for Katalyst DAC update)

Going off topic for a bit. This caught my eye as I was in the same situation two years ago. First of all, Katalyst isn't going to happen for the 530s. I've looked into this by talking to people at Linn in three different counties. I was hoping for the upgrade. Since it didn't happen back in 2019, I decided to upgrade my LP12 instead. As it turned out, the Series 5 not getting Katalyst was a blessing in disguise. I went Kore to Keel, Ittok LVIII/2 to Ekos SE. Had I stopped there, I still would have realized a bigger improvement than going Katalyst. Adding Karousel and Kandid in 2020 took it to Klimax and even further beyond what Katalyst could have done.

I've been a relatively happy user of KazooServer on my little Intel NUC (that's also my main PC) for a good few years.

Today, I thought I'd leap into the 21st century and check out Tidal hi-fi streaming as a way of discovering new music as well as being able to play old favourites.

Tidal certainly sounds great, and if you just want to pick albums or tracks and just play them, it's fine.

What is disappointing is that the Tidal app gives you so much more in terms of personalised content but it's hard to access via the Linn/Kazoo apps.

For example, if I look up the artist Mary Chapin Carpenter in the Tidal app, in additional to tracks and albums to play by her, there's also a Songwriter Mix of tracks written by MCC and performed by other artists. Sweet!

If I search for MCC from within Linn/Kazoo you get her music, but not this Songwriter Mix.

The only way to play it through my DS was to use the TIDAL app to make a playlist of the mix, and then I could play it from the Linn/Kazoo app.

That to me seems unbearably clunky, unless I'm being a bit thick and missing something obvious, and gets in the way of using a streaming service to discover more music.

It's a shame you can't just use the Tidal app and send the output to the DS, like you can with Spotify. I realise that I could start Tidal on my PC and use SongCast to send it to the DS, but that way I can't control the music from my iPad. Oh, and AirPlay has never worked for me, so that's out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CheckedShirtMatt said:

I've been a relatively happy user of KazooServer on my little Intel NUC (that's also my main PC) for a good few years.

Today, I thought I'd leap into the 21st century and check out Tidal hi-fi streaming as a way of discovering new music as well as being able to play old favourites.

Tidal certainly sounds great, and if you just want to pick albums or tracks and just play them, it's fine.

What is disappointing is that the Tidal app gives you so much more in terms of personalised content but it's hard to access via the Linn/Kazoo apps.

For example, if I look up the artist Mary Chapin Carpenter in the Tidal app, in additional to tracks and albums to play by her, there's also a Songwriter Mix of tracks written by MCC and performed by other artists. Sweet!

If I search for MCC from within Linn/Kazoo you get her music, but not this Songwriter Mix.

The only way to play it through my DS was to use the TIDAL app to make a playlist of the mix, and then I could play it from the Linn/Kazoo app.

That to me seems unbearably clunky, unless I'm being a bit thick and missing something obvious, and gets in the way of using a streaming service to discover more music.

It's a shame you can't just use the Tidal app and send the output to the DS, like you can with Spotify. I realise that I could start Tidal on my PC and use SongCast to send it to the DS, but that way I can't control the music from my iPad. Oh, and AirPlay has never worked for me, so that's out.

I do what Matt does and use the Tidal app to make my playlists.  It's clunky, for sure, but I'm used to it now.  I use the Linn Kazoo Windows app on my pc to often start my Linn DSM.  It also allows me to access my downloaded files, which the tidal obviously doesn't.  The Apple method works but does not sound as good - same with the bluetooth.  Love the wifi and am now used to having several apps that just start the playlist (my PC, my Android phone, my wife's Apple phone Linn app, etc.  The quality is good so I am okay with it all.  

2 minutes ago, Matteo said:

With Qobuz, the Linn/Kazoo apps are even worse ...

For my own music collection I like Lumin most. Kazoo GUI makes no use of the available space on a screen and hence requires multiple steps to navigate. The Linn app I never understood (never really tried to though).

Having that said, I prefer to use Qobuz with Kazoo. The interface is clear, structured and easy to use, much better than the Lumin implementation.

1 hour ago, CheckedShirtMatt said:

I appreciate it’s yet more expense, and it may not be to your liking, but I’d recommend a trial of Roon if you’ve not already done so. I run it from a NUC, with local ripped content and a Qobuz subscription, and it all works very well indeed. Roon will give you an artist’s discography, pulled from Qobuz and your own collection, and give further info, such as album personnel, writers and much more.

I’ve been using Roon since September 2019 and couldn’t go back to Kazoo now.

Mick

Edited by MickC
Por speelin
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MickC said:

I appreciate it’s yet more expense, and it may not be to your liking, but I’d recommend a trial of Roon if you’ve not already done so. I run it from a NUC, with local ripped content and a Qobuz subscription, and it all works very well indeed. Roon will give you an artist’s discography, pulled from Qobuz and your own collection, and give further info, such as album personnel, writers and much more.

I’ve been using Roon since September 2019 and couldn’t go back to Kazoo now.

Mick

I am definitely Roon curious, as I would really enjoy using it to discover new music. I've been to their website, but still find the hardware requirements to be confusing. When I decide to take the plunge, I'll be relying on you current users for guidance. Thank you in advance.

• Upvote 1

I might look into Roon at some point.

Given its better interface, I might jump from Tidal to Spotify HiFi when it comes, but I've been listening to Tidal on and off all day, and the quality is great.

• Like 1