What are people using to stream music to their Linn

1 minute ago, CheckedShirtMatt said:

I might look into Roon at some point.

Given its better interface, I might jump from Tidal to Spotify HiFi when it comes, but I've been listening to Tidal on and off all day, and the quality is great.

I've been doing like you and browsing on the Tidal and Qobuz apps, then tick the "heart." Then play from the Linn app. I agree, it's clunky, but it works to the degree that it works.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is always another way of looking at things: CD's are quite cheap on the S/H market, buying gives you also something to own.  Something you have to find storage for in your

I am really suprised that people are still buying NAS drives these days. We have a Dell Power Edge Server for our business and use that to store our ripped music (last ripped a CD in 2016). I never co

The ‘new’ Linn control app (which is, in essence, just a ‘re-skinning’ of Kazoo) was a seriously missed opportunity. So, so disappointing. The Lumin control app, which has continually evolved over the

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Having that said, I prefer to use Qobuz with Kazoo. The interface is clear, structured and easy to use, much better than the Lumin implementation.

LUMIN definitely has its attractions, and with Qobuz you can at least choose the genre from within new releases.  I sorely miss this in the Linn apps, Kazoo or newer, and am at a loss to know why Linn don’t offer such a basic facility. 

• Like 1
On 31/03/2021 at 18:20, CheckedShirtMatt said:

I might look into Roon at some point.

I would probably think again. Since 1.8 was relased two month ago that software is in shambles. Search doesnt work properly, albums artist appearances are not showing up in full, Album and artists views always jump back to first page etc. etc.

Probably worth waiting a few months to see where they‘re heading.

Edited by MakesNoSense
  • Upvote 1

I'm currently using Tidal (which I'm fairly happy with) with a Synology NAS drive and this is controlled through the Kazoo app. I also have Audirvana software  from a previous set up which is a little buggy, so  I was looking at Roon to give a more intuitive and stable interface, however, giving the comment's above, I may take a rain check on that at the moment

Edited by d88

No, it wont be more stable. And also depending on the size of the Library, a NAS may struggle, so you need to invest in a NUC and everything around it on top of the software. 

If it would work, Roon would be a great tool. But mgmt is currently more busy mobbing critical users and blocking them from their forums than fixing a whole bunch of bugs and problems.

4 hours ago, MakesNoSense said:

No, it wont be more stable. And also depending on the size of the Library, a NAS may struggle, so you need to invest in a NUC and everything around it on top of the software.

That is not quite right:

1. Yes, Roon released version 1.8 a bit hastily and rightly had to take a lot of criticism for this.
In the last few weeks, however, various updates have been released in quick succession, in which many of the teething troubles have been fixed.
Roon runs stably without problems for me

2. NAS problems with a large library

Roon is relatively undemanding as long as only the music library is on the NAS and not Roon itself. I have had no problems even with a long and older Synology as storage device for my music library.

3. Need to invest in a NUC

I myself run Roon on a NUC with the Roon ROCK operating system (the music itself is on the NAS).
But that is not necessary: Roon also runs stably when installed on a normal workstation (Windows or Mac).
The problem is rather that the workstation computer has to be switched on to listen to music.

4 If you just want to try out Roon:

I would recommend installing Roon on the workstation first (PC, iMac, notebook etc.) with the music library either on the internal hard drive or on a USB hard drive connected to the workstation.

Questions such as NAS, NUC etc can be dealt with later.

Jens

• Upvote 1

Well, I had Roon running on a Synology NAS, not a small one but a 1618+, and it was grinding to a hold every day on 70k+ tracks.  But then there are also reports of memory leaks in the Roon software for various platforms, so it may have had to do with that. 

But if it works for you thats great. It just not a setup "I" would recommend.

Yes, there've been "patches" fixing problems - and creating new ones at the same time.  The Roon forums are full of complaints.  They seem to be a bit out of their depths at the moment.

I have a subscription and not happy at all with the situation, so I could not recommend anyone getting into it at this point in time.  Should they get their house in order again - different story.

As promised, here is my initial discussion of adding a Sbooster BOTW P&PECO MKII power supply powered with another AudioSensibility Testament power cable to the Sonos Port. The instructions suggest 100 hours of burn-in time for the power supply. As soon as I installed it yesterday, an improvement was immediate: the music was fuller, more resonant and detailed. Today those aspects have improved more. It has definitely been a worthwhile addition to improving my enjoyment of the music streamed from Primephonic via the Sonos Port.

• Upvote 1
On 31/03/2021 at 18:53, Nopiano said:

LUMIN definitely has its attractions, and with Qobuz you can at least choose the genre from within new releases.  I sorely miss this in the Linn apps, Kazoo or newer, and am at a loss to know why Linn don’t offer such a basic facility. 

Yes to this! This is the most basic of all requirements and a huge annoyance. It's been requested for years and I have come to use Lumin for this reason. It would be great if Linn finally employ a proper usability expert in-house - their apps are not reflecting well on their products.

• Like 1

I use a Melco M1A MkII. The ethernet player port is connected directly to the SDSMs Ethernet input with a Chord Epic cable. The Melco is connected to my network switch. 

This works very well and sounds great. I used to do the Mac mini music server thing but decided a purpose build server would be a better choice and it has turned out to be. 

I also have the Melco D100 for importing the CDs and it can be used as a player as well. All in all it a solid solution. 

• Like 1