firefuocco

HDtracks.co.uk closing 31 March 2020

I received the following email this morning from HDtracks.co.uk.  It doesn't say but presumably UK residents will be able to use HDtracks.com in the future.

Today we are announcing HDtracks.co.uk will no longer be available after March 31, 2020.

After six years of helping passionate audiophiles discover the highest quality music available, we are departing from this amazing community in the United Kingdom.

While we are sad to say goodbye to HDtracks.co.uk, we are excited to continue improving our core website, HDtracks.com, and developing new Hi-Res technologies.

Please complete any pending downloads before March 31. Contact@HDtracks.com will be available to answer any questions now or in the future. 

Use code MarchNew20UK for 20% off storewide
Offer valid through 23/3/20 11:59PM EDT

Super Wammer

Does that mean that HDTracks.co.uk customer downloaded content is now at risk? 

Looking through their FAQs.

https://www.hdtracks.co.uk/help#dm11

11. I lost my music! Can I re-download it?

Unfortunately HDtracks' policy does not allow for multiple downloads of the same order after 90 days. This is why we ask that our customers back up their files. 

2 hours ago, firefuocco said:

I received the following email this morning from HDtracks.co.uk.  It doesn't say but presumably UK residents will be able to use HDtracks.com in the future.

Although I live in Spain I use HDTracks UK, and it charges me in pounds. When l login to Qobuz it directs me to the Spanish Qobuz site and I pay in euros. I had assumed that the same albums in different countries are owned by different labels. On both sites there are some tracks I can’t download, although it doesn’t tell you why. So if we were going to use the American site from Europe, I can’t see how it can handle country specific albums.

Super Wammer

I didn’t even realise there was a UK version, as I’ve only ever used the .com US site.  

It's dreadfully expensive - or is that only me ?  

10 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

It's dreadfully expensive - or is that only me ?  

High Res tracks are over priced in general, but the labels control the pricing rather than HDTracks AFAIK. The High Res tracks are no cheaper on Qobuz, but I prefer Qobuz because it doesn't artificially separate tracks the are higher quality than CD from the rest.

Will this mean a price hike or the unlikely opposite for UK customers? Really shouldn’t make a difference one side of Atlantic to the other, in fact cost cutting exercise should mean a price reduction to all customers

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rdale said:

High Res tracks are over priced in general, but the labels control the pricing rather than HDTracks AFAIK. The High Res tracks are no cheaper on Qobuz, but I prefer Qobuz because it doesn't artificially separate tracks the are higher quality than CD from the rest.

I'm on the mailing list but have never bought anything. When the TOOL Fear Inoculum album came out there was no physical release other than the £80 limited edition :D. There is now a £34 CD so I suppose it puts the £19 download into some sort of perspective - but I ain't paying £19 for a download for a standard album release. There's the occasional 5 or 10% offer but for a non physical version of an album I just think some of the prices are sheer profiteering by HD Tracks, the labels or whomsoever and I won't be suckered in to it.

1 minute ago, Camelost said:

a price reduction to all customers

Pigs might fly ....

The prices were a joke compared to the US site and nearly always more than Qobuz so I doubt they were doing much business. You've always needed to use a proxy to use the US site so it'll be interesting to see if that changes.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

The prices were a joke compared to the US site and nearly always more than Qobuz so I doubt they were doing much business. You've always needed to use a proxy to use the US site so it'll be interesting to see if that changes.

I never bought anything either, prices were too high. The US prices don't have tax inc. though. Mailing and tax from the US is a joke plus £8 PO handling fee. Some of the reviews of HDtracks are not great either on some of the recent albums. I don't think some are properly remastered. Sure there are some that are worth having if you can get hold of them. I will have a look now. The availability in UK is not so good either. Qobuz is probably a better option.

Just looked at Abraxas and it says: This product is not currently available due to region restrictions.

Edited by BeeRay

2 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Mailing and tax from the US is a joke plus £8 PO handling fee.

No wonder it was so expensive if they were posting orders.

2 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

No wonder it was so expensive if they were posting orders.

I meant if you buy cd or sacd from the US. US prices don't inc. any tax but UK price does.