knaithrover

Our lives at the moment....

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

With absolute perfect timing I received a letter today saying that they have received a noise complaint from a neighbour about me playing music - something I don't do past 21:30 of an evening, nor during the day when I'm working.

Due to a lack of high buildings in Littlehampton and the reduced train timetable I'm now looking at drinking vast quantities of bleach, if I can get some.

It’d need to be awfully loud for any formal complaint, surely?  Is this via your local authority/council?

Don’t drink the bleach!

Edited by Nopiano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

It’d need to be awfully loud for any formal complaint, surely?  Is this via your local authority/council?

Don’t drink the bleach!

The problem is the party walls to my house are stupidly thin and made of an unsuitable material (strawboard). I don't know how loud is too loud, and I don't want to lose my gear because I've overstepped an unknown quantity. I think I know which neighbour it is, and I said to him when he moved in that if my music was a problem to please let me know so we could work it out. Apparently not.

I don't even now know if I can watch TV without fear of losing my gear, the walls are that thin. You can hear people talk and cough next door.

I will have a chat with the council on the number supplied with the letter tomorrow, I was too depressed today. Perhaps they can give me some guidance.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

That is the trouble though, how far do you go with being at home, us blokes do have trouble standing still for too long. I went out the garden earlier and thought I'd do some light work but ended up cutting my leg on some wire :roll: hopefully it'll be alright the last thing anybody wants is a trip to any hospitals.

My neighbour's tree needs cutting, otherwise we get no sun in our back garden. It's a 60ft eucalyptus tree that is as wide as it's tall. So I won't be going up it at the moment. And I don't have to worry about my neighbour going up it either, he has been promising to do it for twenty years! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sumdumgi said:

She says thanks Colin :^ (and is embarrassed about me putting them up here as she is quite shy and modest about her talent)

She has absolutely no need to be shy or embarrassed, thanks for putting them up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

The problem is the party walls to my house are stupidly thin and made of an unsuitable material (strawboard). I don't know how loud is too loud, and I don't want to lose my gear because I've overstepped an unknown quantity. I think I know which neighbour it is, and I said to him when he moved in that if my music was a problem to please let me know so we could work it out. Apparently not.

I don't even now know if I can watch TV without fear of losing my gear, the walls are that thin. You can hear people talk and cough next door.

I will have a chat with the council on the number supplied with the letter tomorrow, I was too depressed today. Perhaps they can give me some guidance.

I think it has to be really bad before the council can do anything about it. The neighbour has to keep records of the times of day the music is being played, get recordings if possible and you need to be approached about it too. This can take weeks before anything is done so I really should not worry too much. If it is not at excessively noisy and late at night nothing will be done.

I know what you mean about thin walls though, we once had a 1970s mock Georgian semi and the walls were so thin you could hear squeaky door hinges, and people just talking normally. It was made worse though by our neighbour listing to television in bed late at night. He would also let his yappy dog out late at night and launch the backdoor at the wall when he closed it, the radiators at the back of the house vibrated for about ten seconds each time he did it. We moved out after six months and always bought detached properties since then even if they were smaller, its good to have all four walls.

This might be useful.

Officers will write to the person causing the problem and ask you to complete diary sheets showing frequency, duration, times and type of noise.  Once they have been returned to Environmental Protection, officers will be able to assess these and then decide on the next course of action for the noise to be witnessed. There are various methods to do this, installing a noise recorder, planned visits or our out of hours call out service.

Where we assess that a noise coming from a person or property is unreasonable and is causing a noise nuisance we have a duty to serve an abatement notice requiring the person to eliminate the ‘unwanted noise’. Failure to comply with the notice is likely to lead to a fine of up to £5000 and/or seizure of all noise making equipment and accessories (e.g. Music system, computer, laptop, tablet etc.)

 , 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 hour ago, bigfool1956 said:

Perhaps they can give me some guidance.

I’m sure they’ll be suggesting you have a chat, though that might be difficult with the virus restrictions.  Have you got a recording of very loud coughing?!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no longer worried about the virus, I have just found out I have stuffed up arteries to my brain and to probably expect a nice exit from the virus.

  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

The problem is the party walls to my house are stupidly thin and made of an unsuitable material (strawboard). I don't know how loud is too loud, and I don't want to lose my gear because I've overstepped an unknown quantity. I think I know which neighbour it is, and I said to him when he moved in that if my music was a problem to please let me know so we could work it out. Apparently not.

I don't even now know if I can watch TV without fear of losing my gear, the walls are that thin. You can hear people talk and cough next door.

I will have a chat with the council on the number supplied with the letter tomorrow, I was too depressed today. Perhaps they can give me some guidance.

Get legal advice!  This is why we have law courts.. You have rights..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Batty said:

I'm no longer worried about the virus, I have just found out I have stuffed up arteries to my brain and to probably expect a nice exit from the virus.

Thats not good news.I sincerely hope you can avoid the virus .

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
17 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

With absolute perfect timing I received a letter today saying that they have received a noise complaint from a neighbour about me playing music - something I don't do past 21:30 of an evening, nor during the day when I'm working.

Due to a lack of high buildings in Littlehampton and the reduced train timetable I'm now looking at drinking vast quantities of bleach, if I can get some.

Shame you don’t live in Newham as when we lived there we had a problem with a noise neighbour and they council didn’t want to know. Hope that it works well for you. You could always blame the government for shutting you in your home and forcing you to take extreme measures to preserve your sanity!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Batty said:

I'm no longer worried about the virus, I have just found out I have stuffed up arteries to my brain and to probably expect a nice exit from the virus.

Have they put you on Atorvastatin? If its cholesterol that is the cause it may help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I spoke to the council today, and the complaint is over a single incident which was reported as being late at night. Hmm well I don't play late at night, so I can only assume that he has either heard some music as part of a TV show, or he's exaggerating how late I play music.

I will wind the volume down a bit, try and set the dynamic range limiter on the TV sound so that loud sounds aren't so loud compared to speech, and see how it goes.

The lady on the end of the phone was very helpful, and I'm a little cheered up :) 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
43 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

I spoke to the council today, and the complaint is over a single incident which was reported as being late at night. Hmm well I don't play late at night, so I can only assume that he has either heard some music as part of a TV show, or he's exaggerating how late I play music.

I will wind the volume down a bit, try and set the dynamic range limiter on the TV sound so that loud sounds aren't so loud compared to speech, and see how it goes.

The lady on the end of the phone was very helpful, and I'm a little cheered up :) 

I deal with council staff like that on a regular basis and they usually are helpful especially of the person makes prompt contact like you did. That was a good call of yours to phone. Be aware that all they have done is pass on the complaint and they may or may not decide that the complainant is being reasonable so if you are being reasonable it goes a long way towards getting the council on your side.

Have a good weekend.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I deal with council staff like that on a regular basis and they usually are helpful especially of the person makes prompt contact like you did. That was a good call of yours to phone. Be aware that all they have done is pass on the complaint and they may or may not decide that the complainant is being reasonable so if you are being reasonable it goes a long way towards getting the council on your side.

Have a good weekend.

That's really useful information, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.