knaithrover

Our lives at the moment....

Super Wammer
20 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

The problem is the party walls to my house are stupidly thin and made of an unsuitable material (strawboard). I don't know how loud is too loud, and I don't want to lose my gear because I've overstepped an unknown quantity. I think I know which neighbour it is, and I said to him when he moved in that if my music was a problem to please let me know so we could work it out. Apparently not.

I don't even now know if I can watch TV without fear of losing my gear, the walls are that thin. You can hear people talk and cough next door.

I will have a chat with the council on the number supplied with the letter tomorrow, I was too depressed today. Perhaps they can give me some guidance.

So sorry for your troubles .. years ago when we were in a terraced house I spoke to the neighbours either side when we moved in (and when there were changes of ownership each side) and said I do like to listen to music and if ever it is annoying to you please give me a quick call on the phone .. we then got proactive and on the phone I turned up the hifi until they said it was at nuisance level .. and thus harmony was maintained.   The problem of course is lots of people are not reasonable and you cannot deal with them like that at all.  

When we moved from Surrey to Northamptonshire the criteria for house purchase was it had to be detached .. fortunately moving up the country and not down meant this was easy to achieve.  Since then with double glazing - unless the windows are open you have to be almost right next to the lounge windows to hear it at full blast.   The only problem I had here was the next door neighbour used to like to sit on the patio with his french doors open listening to all sorts of crap .. so I asked and got told to f off .. so I opened my patio doors got the bands PA loudspeakers from the garage and set them up to face the garden .. and put on Led Zep at a volume where I could not hear his ... he turned his up  ... i turned mine up .... he turned his up ... i turned mine up ... he turned his up then bang and silence - he had blown his speakers or amp up ..  I turned mine up some more for a few minutes and then. I then turned mine off and put all back to normal -   Never had a problem with him playing music outside again :D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer

Interspaced between two video conferences today and a conference call I set about that task that lots of us put off 'for rainey day' - tidying up the rats nest of cabling behind my system ....and with 8 amps and two digital crossovers/dsp units that's a task that's been always low on the list.

First task was to number tag all cables and attach numbers to the sockets on the various boxes on my amp/dsp rack.  After that carefull dismantling unit all boxes apart from the 45 Kg A370 on the base had been removed.  Took the opportunity to change the orientation of the top mounted cooling fan on the A370 so the body of the fan is now inside the case (its reduced the background noise significantly).

A slight change in shelf heights allowed me to fit the rack mount power distribution strip to also be located in the rack, with some judicial use of semi rigid foam spacers to support the rear of the boxes that are held at the front on rack strips.

All completed over a 2 hr period and now sat with a satisfied grin .....it does look much better.  The next stage in this semi OCD approach is the replace all the cheap XLR leads with some home made ones to correct lengths etc using Mogami cabling.

• Like 2

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Interspaced between two video conferences today and a conference call I set about that task that lots of us put off 'for rainey day' - tidying up the rats nest of cabling behind my system ....and with 8 amps and two digital crossovers/dsp units that's a task that's been always low on the list.

First task was to number tag all cables and attach numbers to the sockets on the various boxes on my amp/dsp rack.  After that carefull dismantling unit all boxes apart from the 45 Kg A370 on the base had been removed.  Took the opportunity to change the orientation of the top mounted cooling fan on the A370 so the body of the fan is now inside the case (its reduced the background noise significantly).

A slight change in shelf heights allowed me to fit the rack mount power distribution strip to also be located in the rack, with some judicial use of semi rigid foam spacers to support the rear of the boxes that are held at the front on rack strips.

All completed over a 2 hr period and now sat with a satisfied grin .....it does look much better.  The next stage in this semi OCD approach is the replace all the cheap XLR leads with some home made ones to correct lengths etc using Mogami cabling.

I keep meaning to cut down the length of interconnects to make the task simpler .. then I think nah I will just sit down and listen to some music ..   I have tried sorting out the rats nest in the past and decided without shorter cables I am just wasting my time :D 

10 hours ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Get legal advice!  This is why we have law courts.. You have rights..

That is expensive and I don't think is needed at this stage. Unless you are playing music pretty loud I don't think it will be a problem. Court is the last resort. 

My last house had thin walls, you could hear talking quite easily. After that I will only have detached if I can.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

That is expensive and I don't think is needed at this stage. Unless you are playing music pretty loud I don't think it will be a problem. Court is the last resort. 

My last house had thin walls, you could hear talking quite easily. After that I will only have detached if I can.

Think the tone of bigfoot 1956 comments..was that the stress was worrying him? Think the word depression was used?  Seems a reasonable recourse to me..what price piece of mind?  

11 hours ago, Batty said:

I'm no longer worried about the virus, I have just found out I have stuffed up arteries to my brain and to probably expect a nice exit from the virus.

Blimey Steve, very sorry to read this.

Posted (edited)

I've just signed up for the NHS virus volunteer service. 

I was pleased to see they require a pic of DBS certificate, luckily mine was updated last month, so I could easily lay my hands on it and now I'm just waiting to see if I get approved and what I'm needed to do.

I can work flexi time and so would be happy to collect recovered patients or shop for supplies for the vulnerable etc... figured I might as well make myself a bit useful during these weird times... Being honest I'm also going stir crazy being confined to the house, so another reason to get out would be great. I have/wear gloves and a mask so safety first of course...

Has anyone else done this, how long does the approval process take?

Edited by Amormusic
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Think the tone of bigfoot 1956 comments..was that the stress was worrying him? Think the word depression was used?  Seems a reasonable recourse to me..what price piece of mind?  

Yes but we all get upset when we get something like this. I think these things are best to be settled without solicitors. If he is playing his music at reasonable levels I don't think the council can do anything, it has to be quite loud and/or at unreasonable hours, I think 11pm-7am. The council if they get another complaint will have a word or measure the noise level.

What are you proposing taking the complainant to court? You know how much solicitors charge?

Best to ring the council number if anyone is there. 

59 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Yes but we all get upset when we get something like this. I think these things are best to be settled without solicitors. If he is playing his music at reasonable levels I don't think the council can do anything, it has to be quite loud and/or at unreasonable hours, I think 11pm-7am. The council if they get another complaint will have a word or measure the noise level.

What are you proposing taking the complainant to court? You know how much solicitors charge?

Best to ring the council number if anyone is there. 

Think the issue here is about being browbeaten..some misbegot complains about some noise..and the council send a letter full of threats? We all have rights...and this is why we have courts of law..and a learned judge then makes a decision based on facts not threats..so if someone takes exception to something you do..and you recieve a letter from the borough council full of threats..do you then accept It? Or do you think.. Hang on..this isnt fair..im going to fight this injustice? I know what i would do..

4 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Think the issue here is about being browbeaten..some misbegot complains about some noise..and the council send a letter full of threats? We all have rights...and this is why we have courts of law..and a learned judge then makes a decision based on facts not threats..so if someone takes exception to something you do..and you recieve a letter from the borough council full of threats..do you then accept It? Or do you think.. Hang on..this isnt fair..im going to fight this injustice? I know what i would do..

It's up to you, it would not be the route I would take. I think it is just a standard letter, not sure you would have a strong case but if you want to spend loads of money on it, it's up to you. I think going to court would cause a lot more stress. Doubt the courts will be sitting for ages for cases like this anyway. Hope it does not escalate, just been reading about Robbie Williams and Jimmy Page. I have seen boundary and hedge disputes escalate out of all proportion.

• Like 1

I work in the port industry and am therefore classed as a key worker OMG it's really challenging out there trying to keep working getting  medical supplies and food into the UK. The men and women that work for me are showing great resilience and bravery in carrying on working while their colleagues go off one at a time. I've heard a lot of people complaining about self isolating well the alternative of risking your health and potentially your life working twice as hard as you did before is much much worse. Oh yeah and when we finish work there's no sodding food left on the shelves. My wife at the beginning was classed as vulnerable and was sent home from work, this has now been reversed and as a key worker shes now been taken from isolation and put back into work as most of her colleagues are now working at home and her dept is short staffed - one thing to come out of this thing is awful people and employers become even more awful and the good ones get better - this definitely applies in my poor darling wife's workplace. Hopefully she stays safe.....im too young to be a widower. In other news my daughter is loving being off school, my middle son is working from my elderly Dad's house so he can look after him and my eldest boy is isolating for 2 weeks with his wife and kids as his mother in law who lives with them is sick with possible Coronavirus. He's a health worker and can't get a test. Despite the current stresses I'm staying positive trying to laugh as much as possible and at least I'm not stuck in traffic jams commuting at present.

Music helps.

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, knaithrover said:

He's a health worker and can't get a test.

And yet Boris Johnson et al have been tested .......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

It's up to you, it would not be the route I would take. I think it is just a standard letter, not sure you would have a strong case but if you want to spend loads of money on it, it's up to you. I think going to court would cause a lot more stress. Doubt the courts will be sitting for ages for cases like this anyway. Hope it does not escalate, just been reading about Robbie Williams and Jimmy Page. I have seen boundary and hedge disputes escalate out of all proportion.

To be honest at the moment..the important thing is to stay safe and isolate..petty things like complaining about noise or bickering on a forum are of little consequence..i went to asda a hour ago bought groceries..then washed them in bleach as the virus lingers on packaging..here is a irony.. We are all being careful..isolating..i put my bins out wednesday.brought them back in weds eve..it seems that the bin men have handled around 2000 bins that day! With the same gloves on! "Unbelievable" in my best victor meldrew accent!

8 minutes ago, knaithrover said:

I work in the port industry and am therefore classed as a key worker OMG it's really challenging out there trying to keep working getting  medical supplies and food into the UK. The men and women that work for me are showing great resilience and bravery in carrying on working while their colleagues go off one at a time. I've heard a lot of people complaining about self isolating well the alternative of risking your health and potentially your life working twice as hard as you did before is much much worse. Oh yeah and when we finish work there's no sodding food left on the shelves. My wife at the beginning was classed as vulnerable and was sent home from work, this has now been reversed and as a key worker shes now been taken from isolation and put back into work as most of her colleagues are now working at home and her dept is short staffed - one thing to come out of this thing is awful people and employers become even more awful and the good ones get better - this definitely applies in my poor darling wife's workplace. Hopefully she stays safe.....im too young to be a widower. In other news my daughter is loving being off school, my middle son is working from my elderly Dad's house so he can look after him and my eldest boy is isolating for 2 weeks with his wife and kids as his mother in law who lives with them is sick with possible Coronavirus. He's a health worker and can't get a test. Despite the current stresses I'm staying positive trying to laugh as much as possible and at least I'm not stuck in traffic jams commuting at present.

Music helps.

Im also a key worker and where i work the usual suspects suddenly self isolate! Leaving us short staffed..any excuse to swing the lead..the sooner they bring in tests to deal with these p##s takers the better! ( wow..im sounding like my dad! Lol) 

• Like 1

Probably use the same gloves day after day until they fall apart but not their fault. Wash ones hands after bringing the bin back into your property is the only answer. I sure wish the hospital staff had proper protection and testing for the virus as they put not just themselves at high risk but other patients and their own loved ones when they get home.