awkwardbydesign

Parasound HALO A21 power amplifier .SOLD

Posted (edited)

SOLD

LOCKDOWN: SEE UPDATE FURTHER DOWN.

Designed by the legendary John Curl, a high end amplifier at a real world price. Performing at a level well above its price point, I bought this new about 3 years ago when I was building loudspeakers and needed a power amp that would drive anything. It even drove Apogee ribbons with aplomb.  And with 250 watts into 8 ohms , 400 watts into 4 ohms, and the ability to drive down to 2 ohms (with reduced power) I never found anything it couldn't handle. It runs in class A up to about 10 watts, which is where most listening is done, and has detail in spades. It also has sensitivity controls on the back, which I found useful as balance controls, as my room makes every speaker seem louder on the left!
The only reason I am selling it is because I now have Quad 2805 electrostatic speakers and want a lower powered valve amp. This amp drives then with no problem, but it's overkill for my needs.  This cost me £2600 new, and I thought it was a bargain at that.

Plenty of reviews online. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/parasound-halo-a-21-stereo-amplifier/

I'm asking £1,600.

It looks like new, and comes with the original double box. See Parasound's website for more details. It weighs about 60 lbs, so local pickup would be preferred, but I am in Plymouth.  Postage would be at cost, depending on if you want it insured.  Buyer's risk, if not.

It's hard to photo well with a phone camera, being black!

49687254362_a70e31d76c_c.jpg

49687255237_229d187302_c.jpg

49686422053_39560f70c3_c.jpg

Edited by awkwardbydesign
  • Like 2

Super Wammer

That is one immense amp for normal speakers. It cost  me 3 times the amount at second hand prices  to equal its capabilities as a 2 channel power amp. Deal with confidence with Dick.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 22/03/2020 at 16:12, awkwardbydesign said:

Postage would be at cost, depending on if you want it insured.  Buyer's risk, if not.

It sounds like you will take the risk if it;s insured. I would strongly advise against that. A dropped amp can suffer internal damage with no outwards signs to either the box or the amp. If that happens you will have the devils own job getting them to payout. In addition some couriers (UPS for one) will payout a maximum of £100 for amplifiers. This now pops up when you specify the contents and you are asked to confirm you accept this.

IMO you should never make any courier delivery for a valuable item unless it is at buyers risk, even if it is insured..

ps if you think this is inappropriate for your sale thread please pm and I will delete. 

pps Wonderful amp by the way I've owned a fair bit of Parasound kit and never ever been disappointed. GLWS

Edited by alphatoner

Dicky, I am planning to offer my speakers and power amps for sale once the dust settles and people can start to move around safely again; the power amps are EAR 509 mkII mono blocks if they might be of interest once you have sold your existing amplifier.  Anyway have a free bump on me for an amp I seriously considered trying, but have now gone active.  Cheers Ward.

UPDATE. A bit longwinded, but then I'm not exactly busy!

This IS still for sale, but I rang my chosen courier (APC) this morning, and they are trying to avoid collecting non-essential packages.  And I guess this amp isn't exactly essential.

They are hoping it will settle down in a few days, when the panic posting stops.  So if someone does buy it, and I can't post it immediately, after say one week, I will offer a full refund or I will hold it until the situation clears.  Or a refund at any point thereafter.  Fortunately I don't need the money for living (retired with no mortgage) so it will sit in my account until everything is sorted out. It's only to (part) fund my next amp.

And on that subject, I am looking at either a pair of Icon Audio MB90 IIs, or a pair of GM70, or 211, SE monoblocks.  So thanks for all the suggested replacements, but I have good idea of what I want.

This is a brilliant amp. The pics don't do it justice. But this is a proper American power amp with both the brawn and the brains. I've heard it a zillion times. And it's finese is splendid. Absolutely love it..it is a definite step up from my parasound halo integrated which got a 5 star review in whathifi. 

Most of my listening is done at a low level, especially late at night.  And at the moment I am using a 12 watt EL84 power amp, which is plenty powerful enough 90% of the time.  But when I use the A21 it also works well down to whisper levels, being absolutely silent in use.   My previous speakers were 90dB sensitivity, and the Quads are 86dB, apparently. 

And it has an auto standby facility, so it doesn't waste power when no music is playing.

WAM NOTICE TO PEOPLE BUYING AND SELLING IN OUR CLASSIFIED SALES DURING COVID-19

We do not condone the buying and selling of equipment during this time of lockdown, it causes the spread of Covid-19 and we hope our members are 'staying at home' as per the government guidelines.  Moderation Team.

Super Dealer
6 minutes ago, jkbmusic said:

We do not condone the buying and selling of equipment during this time of lockdown, it causes the spread of Covid-19 and we hope our members are 'staying at home' as per the government guidelines.  Moderation Team.

There is no proof as far as I know that sending goods via courier or post (the only legal methods available during lockdown) spreads Covid-19 and I think it is wrong of you to say it causes the spread of Covid 19 unless you have advice saying that it does. Do you?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jkbmusic said:

Richard DID cover this in his Mar 24 post!.

Couriers are still delivering anyway-if you could find a good one!

I haven't been out (apart from local exercise) since I was told not to.  Nor will I, but if couriers are happy to pick up from my home I will continue with sales  And I am still buying tools that I need on ebay, or delivered from Toolstation.  My drill died, and my gate was broken.  So life does go on, just differently.

• Like 1