hifinutt

Mola Mola amps

any one got these amps and care to comment ? 

some history

Bruno spent nearly a decade honing his skills at Philips's Leuven, Belgium based Applied Technologies Lab before fleeing the roost to chart his own path. At the time, Putzeys believed (and still does) that the future of amplifier design lies squarely in the Class D universe, a perspective apparently not shared by Philips at the time.

Liberated from the design limitations imposed by Philips, Bruno hit the ground running. His first major claim to fame came when he designed the Universal class-D (UcD) power amp module, the subsequent N-Core amplifier modules, and various switch-mode power supplies, all for Hypex. In case you didn't know, Hypex sells these building block components to other audio manufacturers. Hypex also offers DIY amp kits based on Bruno's Class D amp modules for all the Saturday afternoon audio tinkerers out there. The list of firms and products that use Putzeys-authored components includes Grimm Audio, in its AD1 all-discrete DSD analog-to-digital converter, LS loudspeaker range, and related Grimm Audio professional-grade gear; Kii Audio's Three loudspeaker; upper crust amps from companies like MBL and Theta, and down to earth companies like NAD, each of whom utilizes the N-Core Class D amplifier module in their product lines, a testament both to that unit's incredible adaptability and inherent good sound (not to mention outstanding measured performance).

In short, Putzeys may be the most influential audio designer currently working that most audiophiles have never heard of.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/mola-mola-kaluga-amplifiers/

Super Dealer

They amplify.

Keith

• Haha 1

Super Dealer

In the trade classifieds.

Keith

17 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

They amplify.

Keith

presumably somewhat better than this ! 

39837056093_9b2855db97_z.jpgP1060467 by , on Flickr

Hard to tell who's the dumbest, the interviewer or the interviewee...

These AVS videos are depressing.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if they measure well.

Not the best video I have seen.

There should be little doubt that Bruno is one of the top audio designers. And to keep things up to date Bruno left Mola Mola about 18 months ago and he has established a new company Purifi (with others) and introduced new amplifer boards which should appear in amplifiers soon. If you want to know how Bruno has moved on since Mola Mola here is an interview with him from last June. https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/purifi-audio-and-the-audiophile-style-readers-qa-with-lars-risbo-bruno-putzeys-r815/.

I like his overall approach which is to listen to the audio and if there are no measurements explaining what is going on he develops one (where possible). And yes the amps have Kubula Sosna speaker cables and audiiophile connectors.  

• Like 3

Super Wammer

I really fancy trying some Ncore Hypex based amps in the future .. my mate John Young is at Acoustic Imagery and he tells me they are great (they use them) and he has a good ear (or did when we were neighbours back in the 70s.   I believe the Nord Amps also use  Ncore Hypex units too and are highly rated and seem to be reasonably priced.

Yes I have an itch I might have to scratch but I am a tight old git so we will see.

• Like 1

yes , one of our wammer friends was hear recently who loves his hypex with tannoy . I am aiming for a nord up hypex monoblock when i can . they have HUGE love on many forums . at the moment i have only ever had icepower units and got a bel canto coming soon which has the later 125 asx modules [dual mono] .    would love to compare these mola mola with these amps at some point . there is a huge choice . its well worth scratching this itch you have 

Super Wammer
On 22/03/2020 at 22:30, PuritéAudio said:

They amplify.

Keith

It takes genius, real genius, to be able to communicate in just two words the depth, the complexity, the raw, lived, emotional experience of being human and the sheer power which music has to enrich our appreciation of being alive, of breathing, of loving. 

“They amplify”. Beauty in simplicity. The work of a master.

:notworthy:

• Haha 4

On 23/03/2020 at 17:09, tuga said:

Hard to tell who's the dumbest, the interviewer or the interviewee...

These AVS videos are depressing.

that Peter guy... 'viewers'

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, hifinutt said:

yes , one of our wammer friends was hear recently who loves his hypex with tannoy . I am aiming for a nord up hypex monoblock when i can . they have HUGE love on many forums . at the moment i have only ever had icepower units and got a bel canto coming soon which has the later 125 asx modules [dual mono] .    would love to compare these mola mola with these amps at some point . there is a huge choice . its well worth scratching this itch you have 

What? There are other forums? Are we allowed to visit them, or must we self-isolate here inside our very own hifi teepee? I’m going to come up with a list of wammers I definitely don’t want to go within 2m of, just in case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Living here in Belgium, I've heard a couple of his projects. Kii3, Mola, etc.  I find them to be sterile, rather like Singapore vs. Kuala Lumpur.  And fair enough, now that I am a full tube amp owner I have found my sound.  Class D amplification whether NAD, Kii, and possibly  D&D, are not my cup of tea. Loads of detail and no emotional connection to the music.  Gato, a whole different story. 

• Like 1