Mola Mola amps

Super Dealer

Gato use the Pascal Class-D modules.

Keith

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

Does any other manufacturer also use these, do you know, Keith?

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

wrong info

Edited by greybeard

Super Dealer

Dutch&Dutch use them in their loudspeakers, I can’t off the top of my head think of who else.

Keith

• Like 1

yes , hard to keep up with this rapid development in technology . be nice to compare the mola mola with PSaudio m700 monoblocks which reviewed here 

The word that occurred to me when I first heard the M700 was smooth—an easy-on-the-ears quality that encouraged extended listening sessions. The sound of tube amplifiers is often described as smooth, and tubelike wouldn't be entirely inappropriate as a description of the M700's sound. Paul McGowan told me that the voicing of the M700 involved comparisons with PS Audio's flagship amplifier, the BHK Signature 300, whose input circuitry uses tubes. While I wouldn't mistake the sound of the M700 for, say, that of my tubed McIntosh Laboratory MC275LE, there was at least a hint of the sound of tubes in the M700's sonic character.

Another adjective that occurred to me was balanced, which is also a characteristic of my speakers, Monitor Audio's Platinum PL300 IIs. By this I mean that the Stellar M700 didn't emphasize any part of the audioband—its sound was neither too bright nor too soft—and that it revealed musical detail without sounding clinical: that is, the sound was neither too forward nor too laid-back. The various percussion instruments in Ana Caram's "Viola Fora de Moda," from the Chesky Records Jazz Sampler & Audiophile Test Compact Disc, Vol.1 (Chesky JD37), rang out freely, but without being too in my face—and when Caram begins to sing, her voice was very much present, with no undue emphasis of sibilants. Low bass in heavily scored orchestral music, such as Dance of the Tumblers, wasn't as clean and extended as through the Theta Prometheus, but this was evident only in direct comparisons. The M700s were able to drive the Monitor Platinums to volume levels as high as I could tolerate without amplifier or speakers ever sounding distressed.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-power-amplifier-page-2

Super Wammer
17 hours ago, ChemMan said:

Living here in Belgium, I've heard a couple of his projects. Kii3, Mola, etc.  I find them to be sterile, rather like Singapore vs. Kuala Lumpur.  And fair enough, now that I am a full tube amp owner I have found my sound.  Class D amplification whether NAD, Kii, and possibly  D&D, are not my cup of tea. Loads of detail and no emotional connection to the music.  Gato, a whole different story

17 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

Depends on the Gato. My understanding is that the 250 and 400 are Class D, the 150 is Class AB... and that while the first two are enjoyed by many, the latter eats the the former two for breakfast. It's a different beast.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Depends on the Gato. My understanding is that the 250 and 400 are Class D, the 150 is Class AB... and that while the first two are enjoyed by many, the latter eats the the former two for breakfast. It's a different beast.

That may certainly be the case.  I heard the digital 400 and it was far more interesting than the aforementioned brands above.

I use Nord ( Hypex modules) with a Hattor passive pre feeding a Hattor tube stage.  Not sterile.  Wonderful.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 25/03/2020 at 08:25, Nopiano said:

Does any other manufacturer also use these, do you know, Keith?

I’m nearly sure Jeff Rowland too? 

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, Thetiminator said:

I’m nearly sure Jeff Rowland too? 

Well, that’s a big recommendation if they do!  Thanks. 

53 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Well, that’s a big recommendation if they do!  Thanks. 

Yes they do in the 525 amplifier.

Oddly enough they put modules in a plain case and the amps did not sell well. But then they put them into the shiny polished cases and lo and behold they got lots of customers. They know what they are getting and still they bought them. Not that anyone else would do that of course.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, George 47 said:

Yes they do in the 525 amplifier.

Oddly enough they put modules in a plain case and the amps did not sell well. But then they put them into the shiny polished cases and lo and behold they got lots of customers. They know what they are getting and still they bought them. Not that anyone else would do that of course.

Thanks, George!  I get what your saying about cases too.  The industrial or functional look is the exception now, when it was once the norm.   It’s a shame this brand is so scarce over here, as I’ve always admired it.