DomT

Have caught the virus!!!

Super Wammer

I can’t believe it. Never thought that it would happen to me. I mean, well, I am a really sensible guy and don’t fall for doing crazy things that might put me at risk. But today I found out that was not true.

This moring I called Emphorium HiFi to buy the ARC CD5 that they were selling but they had sold it 30 minutes earlier. But I think that it still counts as being infected; I am an audiophile! 😜😜

• Haha 4

Super Wammer

Personal view (having had my fingers burned with Meridian and other with Naim and Wadia) avoid expensive CD players (unless you have money to burn) .. the lazers will die and if the industry carries on as before replacement lazers become unavailable (unless you take a chance on a chinese copy).  My conviction is you are better to by a mid to low price player or transport (Cambridge Transport is £250 ish) and spend the rest on the best sounding DAC you can afford.  When the transport dies (which it will) plug in a replacement and normal service is resumed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DomT said:

I can’t believe it. Never thought that it would happen to me. I mean, well, I am a really sensible guy and don’t fall for doing crazy things that might put me at risk. But today I found out that was not true.

This moring I called Emphorium HiFi to buy the ARC CD5 that they were selling but they had sold it 30 minutes earlier. But I think that it still counts as being infected; I am an audiophile! 😜😜

Pity as the CD5 is a good CD player and as it uses the Philips PRO2 mechanism and laser,  replacements can still be had. But you probably knew that. Never mind there will be another one.

Super Wammer

The thing is George that I was not even looking for a CDP for the main system. I just started to convince myself that I needed one. Am seriously considering something cheap and old school for the studio though to go with my new Marantz PM7000N. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
58 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Personal view (having had my fingers burned with Meridian and other with Naim and Wadia) avoid expensive CD players (unless you have money to burn) .. the lazers will die and if the industry carries on as before replacement lazers become unavailable (unless you take a chance on a chinese copy).  My conviction is you are better to by a mid to low price player or transport (Cambridge Transport is £250 ish) and spend the rest on the best sounding DAC you can afford.  When the transport dies (which it will) plug in a replacement and normal service is resumed. 

That might well be good advice but I don’t have any recent experience of DACs and in a Portugal nobody seems to do home demos. I know that I like the sound of the ARC (and only 9 years old) so it seemed to make sense. Will need to think through a little more. It’s tough being an audiophile! 😜

• Like 1

Super Wammer
57 minutes ago, PhotoMax said:

I am sorry but your attention seeking title to this thread is not funny...

Hi photomax as you didn’t add a smiley I assume that this has offended you and am sorry if it did so. Am certainly not an attention seeker and it was some light humour as has been requested many times in the actual thread about the virus. Sorry once again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 23/03/2020 at 14:57, uzzy said:

wise advice ... 

No foul! I clicked on this thread out of concern for a fellow Wammer. Rather than smile with relief I just felt, I don’t know what I felt? Just horrible times for us all I guess. 

Carry on...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhotoMax said:

I am sorry but your attention seeking title to this thread is not funny...

ah max ...., we are all pretty depressed over her ... so a little humour helps don`t you think :D 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Anyway I think that I have redeemed myself and may not longer be an audiophile as I have been listening to cassettes today!!! I mean I just can’t really be an audiophile can I? 😜😜😂😂

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
On 23/03/2020 at 14:57, uzzy said:

My Sony SCD 777ES is still doing the Biz after 20 years...

Kindest regards Julian 

20200324_191905.jpg

• Like 3

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, bigrod said:

My Sony SCD 777ES is still doing the Biz after 20 years...

There are exceptions to every rule - but the majority do not last anywhere near that long (well not with the usage I give mine) .. and when it dies (which it will) you then have to search for something you like as much - knowing that their is a very high risk of failure within say 10 years would you buy a CD player costing a couple or three grand or more - or a decent player and a class leading DAC knowing that when the player fails you just get another and normal service is resumed.

The options are many the choice is yours .. I am a risk averse type of guy so no way will you ever get me spending over a grand on a CD player ..