Paulssurround

What Are You Doing To Stay Healthy During the Covid-19 Crisis?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Nrwatson said:

Unfortunately I am working with my managers trying their best to make sure I get infected

wondering around the hospital telling staff to remove their masks

Sounds like some of the managers I worked with.

I have a theory, that if they fired three quarters of the managers, the staff would be more happy, and significantly more productive.

Take care and stay healthy, with your mask on.   

Edited by Paulssurround

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Sounds like some of the managers I worked with.

I have a theory, that if they fired three quarters of the managers, the staff would be more happy, and significantly more productive.

Take care and stay healthy, with your mask on.   

I am sure you are right at times like these they are shown up for what they really are 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/4/3/taiwan_coronavirus_response

Just to keep banging this drum. I emailed this idea to them Monday. There is absolutely no reason for any of you to be going through what you're going through. Get angry, I am.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For better or worse, our elected officials made their choices, and we will have to ride the train to see where it takes us.

It doesn’t matter if you are sitting in first class or coach, you may end up at the same destination. 

What I found fascinating, was watching a PBS documentary earlier this week, on the Spanish Flu in 1918, called “Influenza 1918”.

This was film footage from a hundred years ago, and shockingly, almost exactly the same decisions were made by the politicians of the day.

Back then, the existence of viruses  was not known. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/4/3/taiwan_coronavirus_response

Just to keep banging this drum. I emailed this idea to them Monday. There is absolutely no reason for any of you to be going through what you're going through. Get angry, I am.

That's all great for Taiwan. You may well be correct, but I'm sure that it's not a case of one size fits all in this pandemic. I'm not a scholarly person but I do trust my government, whether I voted for them or not to do the right thing with the information they're given at any particular time..

Stay safe, Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No Paul, I love you, but Que Sera Sera is not the tune right now, it's this: 

How's the herd immunity thing going, especially for the prime decider? He's looking a little green behind the gills. I don't expect much from the Americans, but you I do. You, like us, are islands. You too have an excellent healthcare system, and smart people who had just done a tabletop exercise on this. Our links to China mean it should be worse here. Instead we took this seriously early, focusing on ports of entry, testing, and contact tracing. All measures with relatively low friction for the economy, and life in general. I don't think we closed our borders here as early as some other nations. Our economy is totally reliant on global trade, so we had the same considerations as leaders in other industrialised nations. Bobo is trump lite. While falsely bleating about using EU remittances savings to save the NHS, he'd love to eliminate it. Heaven forbid doing anything that might highlight it's competency or value. This was avoidable. Period.

Edited by Jail4CEOs2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

No Paul, I love you, but Que Sera Sera is not the tune right now, it's this: 

How's the herd immunity thing going, especially for the prime decider? He's looking a little green behind the gills. I don't expect much from the Americans, but you I do. You, like us, are islands. You too have an excellent healthcare system, and smart people who had just done a tabletop exercise on this. Our links to China mean it should be worse here. Instead we took this seriously early, focusing on ports of entry, testing, and contact tracing. All measures with relatively low friction for the economy, and life in general. I don't think we closed our borders here as early as some other nations. Our economy is totally reliant on global trade, so we had the same considerations as leaders in other industrialised nations. Bobo is trump lite. While falsely bleating about using EU remittances savings to save the NHS, he'd love to eliminate it. Heaven forbid doing anything that might highlight it's competency or value. This was avoidable. Period.

Thanks for your assessment and reminder of how Taiwan has handles the Corona virus.

People in Taiwan tend to be more respectful of authorities than Canadians. You live on an island where you have better control over the movement of people on and off the island. We live in the second largest country on the planet, with the longest undefended border in the world. Each region of the country has their own ways of  dealing with local provincial issues, and there is more power given to the provinces  than the Feds in many cases, so things are done as a patchwork across the country. The Canadian psyche is generally far less trusting  of our elected officials and our laws are flaunted by most of the younger generation as a suggestion. The biggest issue is that we have similar laws to most western countries but very little enforcement.

I gave up a while back trying to influence the power brokers with science or the facts. They just don’t listen anymore.

I don’t give Canada top marks for their handling of the Covid-19 crisis,  but I think they are actually doing at least a “B” rating, in that the Covid-19 crisis is being directed by the medical experts, epidemiologists and public health authorities, and not so much by the politicians. Yes, we could do better.

I give our neighbours to the south a very poor rating for their handling of the crisis, as it appears to be mostly political decisions driving their agenda.  It does not look good, from my vantage point, but it is not anything I have any control over. Most of my friends in the US are equally concerned and distraught with what is happening there.

Nobody knows the long term outcome here, but hope it comes to an end sooner than later.

Stay safe and healthy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just getting back to the important stuff now.

My Lego Technic 42110 Land Rover is arriving today! Whoop, Whoop!!

Even better is that I have found that there is a very simple fix to a gearbox issue that people were having, very well explained here:

Further and it is really getting good now. The Lego Designer, Milan Reindl (known as Grohl), who designed this model has released details of a B model that you can make from this set (a B model is another complete Lego model that you can make from the same parts as the original set). This is a Stadium Truck which also looks pretty awesome.

Details here:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-36089/grohl/stadium-truck-20/?inventory=1#comments

Sorry if this is so out of the interest zone for folks on here but as a engineer/tweaker I love this stuff. I also owned the very first Lego technic kit as a child - the car chassis.

CJ

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CJ1045 said:

Just getting back to the important stuff now.

My Lego Technic 42110 Land Rover is arriving today! Whoop, Whoop!!

Even better is that I have found that there is a very simple fix to a gearbox issue that people were having, very well explained here:

Further and it is really getting good now. The Lego Designer, Milan Reindl (known as Grohl), who designed this model has released details of a B model that you can make from this set (a B model is another complete Lego model that you can make from the same parts as the original set). This is a Stadium Truck which also looks pretty awesome.

Details here:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-36089/grohl/stadium-truck-20/?inventory=1#comments

Sorry if this is so out of the interest zone for folks on here but as a engineer/tweaker I love this stuff. I also owned the very first Lego technic kit as a child - the car chassis.

CJ

I just looked at the link you gave and also found an alternative build of the Chiron as McLaren, have you tried that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I haven't. Did not realise that someone has done that. Added to list of things to do. See that instructions are paid though but that is fine as they are so complex.

Have also seen that Grohl has motorised/RC the Land Rover too. Needs another set for the motor control system and some extras. Am at this minute advertising on the bay some other sets to fund that.

CJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Thanks for your assessment and reminder of how Taiwan has handles the Corona virus.

People in Taiwan tend to be more respectful of authorities than Canadians. You live on an island where you have better control over the movement of people on and off the island. We live in the second largest country on the planet, with the longest undefended border in the world. Each region of the country has their own ways of  dealing with local provincial issues, and there is more power given to the provinces  than the Feds in many cases, so things are done as a patchwork across the country. The Canadian psyche is generally far less trusting  of our elected officials and our laws are flaunted by most of the younger generation as a suggestion. The biggest issue is that we have similar laws to most western countries but very little enforcement.

I gave up a while back trying to influence the power brokers with science or the facts. They just don’t listen anymore.

I don’t give Canada top marks for their handling of the Covid-19 crisis,  but I think they are actually doing at least a “B” rating, in that the Covid-19 crisis is being directed by the medical experts, epidemiologists and public health authorities, and not so much by the politicians. Yes, we could do better.

I give our neighbours to the south a very poor rating for their handling of the crisis, as it appears to be mostly political decisions driving their agenda.  It does not look good, from my vantage point, but it is not anything I have any control over. Most of my friends in the US are equally concerned and distraught with what is happening there.

Nobody knows the long term outcome here, but hope it comes to an end sooner than later.

Stay safe and healthy

Again lover, no. If you watched the Amy Goodman thing any country could've done what we did here in Taiwan. Our connection to China during Chinese New Year trumps your border. Docility means nothing too. We're talking about border controls, contact tracing, nothing else. Read this https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/04/notes-on-a-nightmare-4-the-criminality-of-donald-trump

You ain't seen laws flaunted until you see scooters look straight at the cop with his lights flashing, and then proceed through the red light.

And now re-read the democracy now post and tell me how you're right and I'm wrong. We just have a vice president who's an epidemiologist who understood what needed to be done, and did it. Straight up professionalism and doing the correct steps in a crisis. 

Who's taking care of the Chinese, and thus Eurasian, swine herd, including wild boars while this goes on? Remember they had to cull near half their herd because of another virus. There were more than enough warnings.

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/4/3/taiwan_coronavirus_response

Just to keep banging this drum. I emailed this idea to them Monday. There is absolutely no reason for any of you to be going through what you're going through. Get angry, I am.

Watched it. Any nation could have done this with varying degrees of success. All would be better off had they. There's no excuse for governments  being caught flatfooted.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Again lover, no. If you watched the Amy Goodman thing any country could've done what we did here in Taiwan. Our connection to China during Chinese New Year trumps your border. Docility means nothing too. We're talking about border controls, contact tracing, nothing else. Read this https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/04/notes-on-a-nightmare-4-the-criminality-of-donald-trump

You ain't seen laws flaunted until you see scooters look straight at the cop with his lights flashing, and then proceed through the red light.

And now re-read the democracy now post and tell me how you're right and I'm wrong. We just have a vice president who's an epidemiologist who understood what needed to be done, and did it. Straight up professionalism and doing the correct steps in a crisis. 

Who's taking care of the Chinese, and thus Eurasian, swine herd, including wild boars while this goes on? Remember they had to cull near half their herd because of another virus. There were more than enough warnings.

Interesting article in your link, and it does say it all, about the situation with my neighbours.

I agree with you, that Taiwan did a great job, and other countries should have followed suit, but they didn’t.

Everything else is completely out of my control or sphere of influence. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2020/04/05/2003734015

For those blighted in Blighty. An Englishman's perspective.

Paul, you worked in government. You know that nothing gets done unless the electorate demands it, so your passivity here is not helpful. Sure, in this particular case, the virus is an unstoppable force, but never advocate anything less than people's %100 engagement in democracy or the corrosive effects of the oligarchy will win. P.s. see my member name and photo (Edward Bernays btw)! 

Plus don't forget what our countrywoman Naomi Klein says about Disaster Capitalism!

Edited by Jail4CEOs2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch this pandemic with great interest and at the different approaches by governments around the world.

Singapore was touted as an example of how to do it right, but that now appears to be premature.

The UK and US are on their own course.

Here in British Columbia, things look promising at the moment, but in Quebec and Ontario, not so much.

The model that interests me at the moment is the Swedish model. I don’t condone it, but it is gutsy 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.