Paulssurround

What Are You Doing To Stay Healthy During the Covid-19 Crisis?

12 hours ago, LinnJim said:

Interesting name Peter, I hope you dont dive to 57m on scuba.... the very thought sends shivers down my spine!

Indeed I do go scuba diving but not @57m .

Many years ago, I was on a dive boat where the group went to about 35m but one diver went to 57m (his buddy didn’t follow him). The liveaboard had an internal email system and we had to create user ids, so I chose peter@57m as a joke and have used it as a forum name ever since.

The person went to 57m as he wanted to go deep as it was his last diving before ear surgery which would mean he would never dive again. We did manage to persuade him to be sensible for the rest of the trip as it would be a bit of a downer for the rest of us if he killed himself through his stupidity.

:ot:

4 minutes ago, peter@57m said:

Indeed I do go scuba diving but not @57m .

Phew! That's a relief. My younger daughter used to dive to 30m+. She now has two small children, so snorkelling is probably her limit these days.

Back to the topic ...

David

I spent 15 years diving in a hard hat to depths of over 100 meters but I don't have the chutzpahs for scuba.

To answer your question David, the speakers in out Kirby Morgan 37s could definitely have benefited from Space Optimization v2 and I doubt the 200m runs of cable helped much either.

... still off topic sorry

At the start of lockdown we were going out for regular walks but local routes seem to be getting busier and busier, and it’s much harder to avoid people, so it’s the garden and a dusted-off exercise bike now.

Mentally we’re ok - we both enjoy music, films and books, all things accessible without leaving the house. I’ve been trying to reduce my ‘to be read’ pile to fewer than one hundred books, but that’s not happening as I’m still buying them faster than I can read them! Nice feeling to have so many unread books though - once I finish one, it’s like having my own library to choose from (we have thirteen bookcases filled to overflowing...).

Mick

10 minutes ago, MickC said:

At the start of lockdown we were going out for regular walks but local routes seem to be getting busier and busier, and it’s much harder to avoid people, so it’s the garden and a dusted-off exercise bike now.

My daughter visited a local (wheeled) bike shop a couple of days ago. The shop is out in the country, about 8 miles from her home. She cycled there, mostly on dedicated cycle tracks I am glad to say. When she was there, she was told that the shop, which has been in that location for over 20 years, are having their best business year ever. My daughter certainly saw a lot of other people on the cycle track.

For my part, I am fortunate that at the end of our lane there is a green, owned by the local Parish Council, beside our tidal creek. There are places to sit and enjoy the movement of the tide, the wildlife, and the dozens of boats moored there, an increasing number of which have people working on them. My family (2 daughters and two grandchildren) came and met me there yesterday, with the children being very good about social distancing and delighted to have a new patch of grass to run around on. Even the short car journey was a novelty for them; it was two months since they had been inside their family car. It all makes you wonder what the new normal will be once the whole thing is over. I know that my Linn system will be part of that new normal; my unread pile of books is matched by the list of music I need to listen to again.

David

1 hour ago, DavidHB said:

My daughter visited a local (wheeled) bike shop a couple of days ago. The shop is out in the country, about 8 miles from her home. She cycled there, mostly on dedicated cycle tracks I am glad to say. When she was there, she was told that the shop, which has been in that location for over 20 years, are having their best business year ever. My daughter certainly saw a lot of other people on the cycle track.

For my part, I am fortunate that at the end of our lane there is a green, owned by the local Parish Council, beside our tidal creek. There are places to sit and enjoy the movement of the tide, the wildlife, and the dozens of boats moored there, an increasing number of which have people working on them. My family (2 daughters and two grandchildren) came and met me there yesterday, with the children being very good about social distancing and delighted to have a new patch of grass to run around on. Even the short car journey was a novelty for them; it was two months since they had been inside their family car. It all makes you wonder what the new normal will be once the whole thing is over. I know that my Linn system will be part of that new normal; my unread pile of books is matched by the list of music I need to listen to again.

David

It’s nice that you have easily available greenery. We’re stuck in suburbia, although there are several nice parks within reach. We also have a flat on the south coast which we’ve not been to since before lockdown commenced - very much missing the sea and the surrounding countryside there. 

Mick

10 minutes ago, MickC said:

We also have a flat on the south coast which we’ve not been to since before lockdown commenced - very much missing the sea and the surrounding countryside there. 

I can understand your pain, and don't want to add to it, but south coast sea and countryside ae visible from my house; I'm very lucky. The house has been in the family since the 1960s; I am eternally grateful to my mother-in-law for buying it.

David

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

About six weeks ago - in the middle of the Corona crisis in Germany - I bought a Tacx Smart Bike Hometrainer and started cycling on my balcony.

At that time - being a citizen of Hamburg, Germany - I was not allowed to bycicle across the "boarder" to other federal states in Germany :$

I am using  Hometrainer in connection with the ZWIFT App, a cycling and running simulation.

This combo is really great and I have cycled more than 1000km and yesterday even finished "Alp d'Huez" (only 12km but more than 1000m elevation), although it took me ages to finish... :doh:

Edited by JensA
  • Like 1

Taiwan, 14 days zero cases, so all 23,000,000 of us are living a normal life. I'm struggling to make the kids understand what's happening to you guys. It's surreal!

My approach to fitness has been to continue paying monthly dues to my sports club.  If you get what you pay for, I should be getting very fit.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, stuarts said:

My approach to fitness has been to continue paying monthly dues to my sports club.  If you get what you pay for, I should be getting very fit.

Same here :D!

However was not 100% sure if this would work...

6 hours ago, JensA said:

Same here :D!

However was not 100% sure if this would work...

Of course it’ll work! I’ve signed up with three gyms - I’m getting incredibly fit just by sitting here.

Mick

10 hours ago, Qussto said:

I'm very worried about the general situation in the world.

You are not alone in your worries about the state of the world. I think most of us are worried about our future and how this will change our lives and the world going forward

I don't think this is going to be a smooth ride in the short term, but I have a good feeling about life going forward.

The Covid-19 shutdowns has forced most of us to slow down and reevaluate our personal lives, perhaps a time to reset our lives. The virus has allowed us to examine the way that the world operates and the leadership or lack of leadership we have in our respective countries. It is normal for me to worry about the future, but worrying will not allow me to change the future. All I can do is be present here and now at this moment as this is the only moment that I can change.

I sincerely hope that the future looks bright and humanity makes changes to make this a better world.

In the mean time I have some great music to carry me through this fascinating time in history.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

All I can do is be present here and now at this moment as this is the only moment that I can change.

I sincerely hope that the future looks bright and humanity makes changes to make this a better world.

In the mean time I have some great music to carry me through this fascinating time in history.

Just so.

David

• Like 1