emcc_3e

Tidal 4 months for £4!!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Casper82 said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but is this £4 a month for 4 months or £4 for 4 months which would equal £1 a month?

Not dumb at all, you pay 4 quid at the start then nothing until the trial ends.

Edited by emcc_3e

1 hour ago, emcc_3e said:

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I may as well give it a try for that much, I was planning on keeping Qobuz when my trial expires but may give tidal a chance first.

13 hours ago, emcc_3e said:

Thanks, just signed up. Let's see of they stay in business for the duration of the offer...

Thanks for all advice on this. Now have Tidal running, listening to Roger and Brian Eno’s new album. I’m listening to the master quality version, but I’ve read that the masters are in MQA, which my dac - caiman seg- might not decode? Any advice on this, anyone?

Also cancelled my Spotify Premium, which will save £40 :D

Thanks for the tip. I signed up.

Is it me or is Tidal search engine crap? Typing John Eliott Gardiner yields poor results. Typing Gardiner + composer name gets me new albums which weren't on display before. Qobuz is much, much better in that respect.

Super Wammer

Tidals  interface is not great, I find Spotify far better. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Tidals  interface is not great, I find Spotify far better. 

Yes but it's better than Qobuz. Spotify and Deezer are better in my opinion. I will be doing the Deezer HiFi free trial next after Qobuz finishes in 2 weeks, I won't be subscribing to Qobuz.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mr neds said:

Any takers on my MQA question?

You will not be able to benefit from MQA decoding - whatever these benefits are - so no "high resolution" from Tidal for you, just regular Redbook at best. In the particular case of your Eno album, you're actually not listening to the Master version with your current DAC. If you want a higher resolution with the Caiman, you have to use Qobuz. Whether or not there would be an audible difference, I can't say.

Edited by jbcortes

Regular red book sounds better than Spotify, as far as I can tell. According to MQA designers, masters  should still sound better, even without MQA unfolding? It’s a great offer at the moment, but I don’t know if I’d pay double what Spotify costs for redbook, although I’ve read that Tidal 320k sounds better than Spotify. So many choices, so...........much time, at the moment ! Thanks for info

Posted (edited)

After trying all streaming services over the years, I'm now going back and forth between Qobuz and Tidal. At some point one has to pay for music, and for quality. What I can report is an audible difference going from Qobuz 320kb to Tidal Hifi (which is redbook, as I don't have MQA decoding). So all good and logical so far. Not sure I would hear any difference going higher in resolution, from past experiences. Not sure how Tidal and Qobuz would compare at similar resolution either, if anyone wants to chime in?

I can't really get my head around MQA in general, and even less around the claim that MQA masters would sound better even without MQA decoding, if indeed there is such a claim. It would only be true if the mastering for MQA was done differently, and I can't imagine it is.

Edited by jbcortes

28 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Regular red book sounds better than Spotify, as far as I can tell. According to MQA designers, masters  should still sound better, even without MQA unfolding? It’s a great offer at the moment, but I don’t know if I’d pay double what Spotify costs for redbook, although I’ve read that Tidal 320k sounds better than Spotify. So many choices, so...........much time, at the moment ! Thanks for info

MQA is technically worse that Redbook if decoded using a non-MQA DAC. The only way the MQA version would sound better is if a different mix/master is used, which it might be. As such I don't think there's a straightforward answer to your question.

I use Tidal with a non-MQA DAC and play the non-MQA versions when available. I've not got round to trying to properly compare the two though.

the pages I got the info from are Bob Stuart’s own site, “ Bob talks “ Maybe I’m not understanding it properly? It has been known :/

3 minutes ago, mr neds said:

the pages I got the info from are Bob Stuart’s own site, “ Bob talks “ Maybe I’m not understanding it properly? It has been known :/

Bob will obviously be talking up MQA :).

There are various pages on this on Archimago's site if you want to get into more detail, but it gets pretty technical.

You can use a computer to do the MQA 'unfolding' but I'm assuming you aren't, right?