nut

valve problem?

Never heard anyone moan on about microphonics EL34s or KT66s, they are octal based. Small signal valves need support internally to avoid microphony, power valves need support internally to avoid unwanted short circuits and similar. Yes it's part of the fun but one reason you will have to fight to find a microphonic Ecc88 type from any decent manufacturer is that they have a frame grid, bucket anode construction. The same cannot be said for 1940s 6SL7/6SN7 types. Any NOS there will almost without exception be rejects and measure/sound accordingly. For a really nice affordable 6SN7 try the RCA GTB variant. I'm not selling or hyping, merely advising, they are decent value.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Jazid said:

For a really nice affordable 6SN7 try the RCA GTB variant.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I had a few dodgy examples of those too.  

I liked the JAN 6SN7WGTs with the brown base.  Although I ever did get to try any of the smoked glass, red 5692 or metal base varieties.

3 hours ago, ESK said:

I had a few dodgy examples of those too.  

I liked the JAN 6SN7WGTs with the brown base.  Although I ever did get to try any of the smoked glass, red 5692 or metal base varieties.

I got the RCA 5692 Red Base ... it’s ok, nice to listen to. Kinda like the Sylvania 6SN7GT.

But found Sylvania 6SN7GTA to be better, very airy with a sweet mid (loses a smidge of bass). Popes are pretty good too. 😬

They are used on my Cary SLP-05.