bohemian

Lockdown and what’s cooking

Eggs, chips, & beans for dinner tonight - expect high winds in the Hebrides tomorrow :D

42 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Eggs, chips, & beans for dinner tonight - expect high winds in the Hebrides tomorrow :D

As long as there’s no fog with the high winds it ain’t too bad yet 😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 27/03/2020 at 23:05, Monitor Gold Ten said:

Tonight, Rationalised Beef Stew is in build. Saturdays job is building a Series 102 Cake. Fruit has been soaking in leftover rum for a week... 🍰😎👍

What is this weird concept you talk of.... LEFTOVER rum??? :o:o  :D

I've been busy batch-making meals for the freezer. Chilli, bolognese, chorizo and bean stew, turkey & prawn meatballs in Thai-style broth, spicy tomato & basil soup with pancetta & pasta, leek & potato soup... Tomorrow I shall be mostly baking - going to make up some bread doughs and freeze them, ready for defrosting and baking later. I've never done that before but apparently if you take it to first prove then knock it back before freezing, the yeast isn't killed but goes into dormancy, so it can be thawed and second-proved before baking. Anyone else has experience with this?

Seeing your pic @Ears I must knock up some curries for the freezer too, good reminder :^

Edited by Jules_S
  • Like 1

Ah ! Yes Jules, this requires some explanation; I expect to get two lots of Mixed Fruit soaked in Captain Morgan's finest. 

The second lot of spare Rum will be brushed onto the next Longlife Series 102; the remainder drunk by me. 

The Rum changes consistency; once the fruit is removed, what is left is surprisingly viscous. And it tastes a lot like Treacle. With more than a hint of Rum. I got tipsy after three spoonfuls... 

Whoops ! 🤭🤭🤭

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Had the king of breakfasts this morning. Sausage, smoked  bacon, scrambled egg, baked beans simmered till they get a bit reduced (with black pepper), sourdough toast, mushrooms with garlic and oregano for health! And a nice cuppa tea. Once a week this is mana. Slice of bacon for the doggy too.

Edited by Mikeandvan

Posted (edited)

I've waited for 48 hours to try the Prototype Survival Specification 102 Series Cake.  I'm going to enjoy this with some Macallan Gold and listen to music by candlelight... 👍 👍 👍 

DSC_5720_compress70.jpg

Edited by Monitor Gold Ten
Cake added...
  • Like 1

After last weeks tutored success I decided to have another go at making a cheese and onion plate pie. Mrs Feet tutored me in making short crust pastry as she is a very very good cook. Not too much handling of the pastry, cold hands and cold water. They were both surprisingly good, the pies that is. Tonight it was accompanied with Lidl oven chips and mushy peas. The leftover pastry was used for jam tarts which I overcooked and they fell apart on removal from the tin and a raisin fruit type pastry thing which we haven't tried as yet.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Chicken with Chickpeas, herbs and Iranian black limes. Fried cauliflower and spring onion salad with Tahini and garlic dressing. Some pickled stuff fro the back of the fridge.

20200404_192041

I have to say, it was remarkably good, despite the fact I substituted a bit of kale for parsley, and had nowhere near enough coriander leaf. I added some garlic and ginger to the recipe and a little ground coriander.

it was all based on this recipe,

favicon.ico Tasting Table – 25 Feb 16

Social-Ghormeh-Sabzi-Persian-Stew-Recipe.jpg

Persian Chicken and Kidney Bean Stew

Introduce yourself to Persian food with this vibrant, easy and delicious chicken, herb & kidney bean (Ghormeh Sabzi) stew. Get the recipe at Tasting Table.

I also substituted chickpeas for kidney beans.

if there is one thing about lockdown, it’s got me cooking again.  Oh if you are wondering about the black limes, I found them in the cupboard yesterday, I have no recollection buying them or clue as to what I was going to do with them

Edited by gintonic
  • Like 3

yesterday

Prawn and Potato curry, Cauliflower tandoori “steak” and chat masala salad

20200403_194216
  • Like 2

earlier in the week

beef in stout with mushrooms carrots, celery and herb suet dumplings. Peas, sweetcorn, red onion and garlic with nutmeg

based on this recipe https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefstewwithdumpling_87333/amp 3

didnt have Swede or leeks, so i upped the other vegetables and added mushrooms. Used 350ml of stout and 250ml of stock

Ragu from the freezer, with Halloumi salad

20200401_180833
  • Like 2

one more

Lamb and Egg Bhuna, Fiery green bean curry with cardamom, and a little portion of new potato fried masala

• Like 1

Banana Bread for dessert maybe and also Cauliflower cheese to go with the slow cooker Silverside and veggies.

Confit duck leg, broccoli and red cabbage (hoisin sauce too).

• Like 3