bohemian

Lockdown and what’s cooking

I must go back through this thread looking for suggestions.

At the moment my saliva glands aren't working, and my taste buds can only pick up sweet. Slightly acid things like tomato set up a nerve pain into my ear. I can smell my food, and after weeks of liquid through a tube I'm enjoying the texture of what I eat. I've managed cottage pie with spinach, macaroni cheese and a cheese omelette with peas. I tried a burger, but even with a big dollop of mayonnaise lack of saliva meant I needed to wash every mouthful down with a gulp of water. Strangely I could swallow the fries without liquid aid. I have requested scampi and fish fingers in my next delivery.

I'm sure fish and chips would go down well, but the chippies around here are all closed. There's also the difficulty of getting out to shop as, apparently, I'm vulnerable, so I have to depend on my daughter and her boyfriend. So I can't wander along the aisles picking and choosing.

Suggestions for easily obtainable moist and bland food would be welcome.

@Guzziboy ... how about some Chinese style porridge? Easy to make. Ingredients not too difficult to get. Want recipe for that?

17 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

@Guzziboy ... how about some Chinese style porridge? Easy to make. Ingredients not too difficult to get. Want recipe for that?

Yes please

40 minutes ago, Guzziboy said:

Yes please

Okay ... here is a basic YouTube video for it BUT try what I say ok.

Meatballs - lightly season with salt, white pepper and a few drops of sesame oil, few drops only. You want a hint of the scent. No need soya sauce. Meatballs not meant to be as well seasoned as say Italian meatballs. Add the finely chopped spring onions. Don’t forget the cornflour, makes the meat look silky and not dry

Meatballs no need to be rolled. Just use a spoon to scoop bite sized portions to put into hot porridge (below). It’s ok they are uneven etc

Porridge - a little rice goes a long way. I would use like no more than say 1 tea cup for 2 portions. Sauté some sliced ginger and garlic first, then add water and rice. Bring to boil. If you want the rice to be mushy, boil longer. Season with some salt and/or chick stock cube (Knorr etc) if you like.

Add meatballs when porridge is almost ready. MeatBalls needs only 3-5 mins max.

Garnish with sliced spring onion. If you can get young ginger, cut them into thin strips (julienne).

Add some white pepper, or sesame oil or salt to adjust to your liking.

Holler if you in trouble ok. 😂🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

nice - never had Congee with meatballs - always with chicken or tofu.

Posted (edited)

I'm winning at life! I found two kilograms of Basmati Rice! 🌾🎉 🎉 🎉 

So I'm assembling a Rationalised Kedgeree built around Smoked Salmon... 😋😋😋

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-spiced-salmon-kedgeree

Edited by Monitor Gold Ten
Link added...
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

Good old potato, cheese and onion pie.

Kindest regards Julian 

20200406_180732.jpg

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Diane is not a cook..as can be seen by her kitchen knives..this one is at least 50yrs old and belonged to her dad..

I'm reluctant to let her use mine as she is likely to lose a finger..

Shun classic knives

20200406_184300.jpg

Posted (edited)

Julian ... nothing like a good pie. Miss steak n kidney pie. Yums.

@gintonic ... here a pic of what we call Teow Chew porridge. Basically plain porridge with an assortment of dishes.

97DB64D5-CF45-4C73-AF27-2C4CEA2DC8B9.jpeg

Edited by tIANcI
  • Like 6

that looks great.  We've had a few meals like that in Hong Kong.  I spent about 12 years visiting HK about 3 time a year.  Also spent a bit of time in Shanghai, and quite alot of time in Fuzhou and Harbin..... amongst other places.....

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, gintonic said:

that looks great.  We've had a few meals like that in Hong Kong.  I spent about 12 years visiting HK about 3 time a year.  Also spent a bit of time in Shanghai, and quite alot of time in Fuzhou and Harbin..... amongst other places.....

You are an Honorary Asian ! 😂🤣 

Edited by tIANcI
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

You are an Honorary Asian ! 😂🤣 

I had a charmed career, I pretty much visited every country between Jordan and Japan (apart from Afghanistan and Iraq).  Perhaps 40 times to India - all over, sometime 50 or more flights per year.  Once I got home from Bangladesh to my wife  - who greeted me with a gift of a beautiful 5* holiday to Thailand (about 5 locations) but I didnt want to fly any more  or (I am sorry to say) see the inside of one of those identikit 5* hotels......i just wanted to hit the road to Scotland and go camping, or stay in a pub.  I had a good 13 years flying all over the world (east and never west) - but I had to give up.......and go back to being an academic....

But it grew my love of sharing food from everywhere. I find Indian, M. East and Thai, Malaysian quite straightforward to pick up, but I have NOT  managed to be very successful with Chinese and food from that part of the world.

One thing this lockdown has done - is given me the time to cook, which normally during the week we would really limit ourselves......

Edited by gintonic
correct the tense of a sentence
  • Like 2

At least one advantage of being stuck at home for weeks on end is that my cooking has become more organised. Here is tonight's supper, Pulau Rice, Cauliflower curry, Bengali Vegetable curry, Gujerati Vegetable curry, Spiced Gram, fresh tomato chutney, cucumber Raita:

dinner_monday.thumb.jpg.9646b0e6c1e104fd8b2a3f2b06ba5fd9.jpg

• Like 3

Super Wammer

Diane and I have been enjoying some of Jamie Oliver's recipes from his 'Keep Cooking and Carry On' Channel 4 series, designed to be easily adaptable in these straitened times.

Last night's 'Sole Véronique' was a great success:

og-image?f=true

• Haha 5

Super Wammer
On 06/04/2020 at 18:51, bigrod said:

Shun classic knives

20200406_184300.jpg

I do, I use Tojiro Senkus :D

By the way @bigrod, this time-share wife business is working very well I must say, but every Sunday when you send her back she comes in staggering - and with two bags of empty bottles. You won't mind if I send her over with a couple of bags of laundry tomorrow old boy? Fair's fair ;-)