MotherSky

Heco Direkt speakers

Evening all - sanitised elbow bumps all round...

Following @Lee M 's acquisition of a pair of these speakers (we use the same model of power amp), curiosity got the better of me and I picked up a pair on PFM shortly before the current madness kicked off. My thinking was that they may be more tolerant of room boundaries than my beloved Response 1SCs, and thus may work firing down the room (on the longer axis, as it were) rather than across (which is where the Proacs sound best - this has caused 'undue prominence' issues with the OH, as they're well out from the wall) - so far it's been a bit of a mixed bag: I can certainly see (hear) how/why they won so many awards - phenomenal soundstage, effortless full range sound with real bass drive and amazing imaging (which is counterintuitive given the cabinet dimensions) - the problem I have is that I still find prefer the Proac midrange, and their focus despite their foibles (and their need for a high quality sub) - I have also found that the Hecos prefer to be further into the room than I was hoping, and seem incredibly sensitive to how they are supported: the previous owner had lost the spikes, so I turned some up at the workshop, just guessing the height, and it completely altered the sound (possibly partly due to the downward firing ports?) - it seems I will have quite a while before I can realistically move on whichever pair loses this one man bakeoff, so I have plenty of time to mess around - can anyone share experiences of these speakers, and any advice on setup (also if someone could measure the spikes on theirs, I'd be really grateful) - I am also researching some sort of DSP that might allow me to position either pair nearer the walls, but I don't want to overcomplicate things at this stage - any/all feedback greatly appreciated - MH

• Like 1

I’ve owned a pair for over 2 years and I absolutely love them.

I bought them from Sodders (Evo audio) and he very kindly drove a long way to home demo them.

when he walked into my living room his face dropped, he was certain that they wouldn’t work. However, they just sing wherever I stick them and my room has always been a nightmare for speakers, They are wedged in, close to the wall on a suspended flood and near corners, but they sound great, no bass boom or imaging issues.

Im using them just with the standard legs, no spikes.

Posted (edited)

Hi.

I have just plonked mine down using the outrigger things and the little rubber screw in feet. They look about equal measure from the side and rear walls. I must play around with some toe in etc.  Sounds decent enough for me for the time being. The thing that has impressed me most is the bass is not overly there. I've definetly heard things I've not before on a few albums and not just in the bass area.

I'm not sure I'm missing the Proacs. As my listening is all over the place with shift work. Might get easier as I'm classed as high risk for work atm so maybe plenty of time to mess around. 

Ask Guy (puresound) on AA such a nice chap to talk to.

I could try and write a review but my posting style or whatever its called is poor.

Edited by Lee M

rather like these speakers , heard them a few times . some more thoughts on here 

Hi MH, its a shame when what seems like a sure thing doesn't quite turn out so. I've a pair of these, just plonked down on the rubber feet, close to the wall also. No real issues.

I can't imagine your diy feet would be so different in size to upset things.

I've never heard a pair of 1sc, but may well be they do have the edge in the mids? I can't fault the heco at any frequency, they go lower than most I've had and the tweeter is well integrated.

What particular music makes you realise you're missing the proac ?

As for dsp. I have an rme adi dac.and I do use its eq section to good effect with one of my amps. Perhaps someone local has one you could borrow to give an idea what eq could do ?

Thanks for all the replies - I don't have the rubber feet either, but have emailed the chap at Puresound with a view to acquiring some. I think the crux of the issue is that I have had the Proacs in my system for nearly 20 years, and I know how everything "should" sound: the upper midrange and the timbre of certain treble elements are the key areas where I miss the presentation they give - a random example would be the Moonshine Freeze album by This is the Kit: vocals on the 1SCs are stunning, the relatively sparse production seems full and lush - the same album on the Hecos sounds rather thin and lifeless, making me want to put on something bass driven instead... There are records that do sound better through the Hecos (VII by Sault to name one), and I suppose it's partly a question of being thrown by the unfamiliar presentation rather than any objective shortcomings of the speakers themselves - I shall experiment further with positioning: I feel as though I must be doing something wrong if everyone else finds them so unfussy in this regard - I might be overthinking the spike height, it could just be that using them sans feet interferes with the sound (they were just resting on their aluminium leg assemblies)  - I would still be interested to know the dimensions of the original spikes if anyone has a set that came with their speakers - I want to give them every chance to perform exactly as intended before coming to any decision - the main problem is they are both superb in their own ways: I can see how people end up building a second system - sadly I don't have the space for such indulgence

The rubber feet add about 15 mm to the legs. I have mine set either side of a shallow chimney, about 68 " between the closest corners. They're about 15" from the back wall, firing across the width of the room, I have even less choice of where I sit. 

They sound very good on the end of a lavardin is ref, they do a good job of disappearing for their size.

I understand the proac have a great synergy with class a amps. The moonshine album (good album and new to me 👍) is very much in the mids, the proacs may well have it here, but as for sounding flat on the heco im not sure. I thought it quite a dry album, not particularly lush, she's a great voice, really close up sound, and I like those clean full textures of the guitars.

7 hours ago, metlor said:

The rubber feet add about 15 mm to the legs. I have mine set either side of a shallow chimney, about 68 " between the closest corners. They're about 15" from the back wall, firing across the width of the room, I have even less choice of where I sit. 

They sound very good on the end of a lavardin is ref, they do a good job of disappearing for their size.

I understand the proac have a great synergy with class a amps. The moonshine album (good album and new to me 👍) is very much in the mids, the proacs may well have it here, but as for sounding flat on the heco im not sure. I thought it quite a dry album, not particularly lush, she's a great voice, really close up sound, and I like those clean full textures of the guitars.

That's really useful - thank you. I actually had an IS ref for a little while: stunning midrange (I can remember playing Sigur Ros "( )" and it sounded so beautiful, it actually made my wife cry...) - it could not, however, persuade my 1SCs to produce any bass worthy of the name - I can quite see how it would be an excellent match for the Hecos & their high sensitivity/excellent low frequency performance. I shall guy some M8 rubber feet and experiment further - I don't suppose you have the spikes that came with? It would be really helpful to know their dimensions of at all possible - I can easily turn down the ones I made, which I suspect are on the tall side - MH

PS when/if things return to normal, I can strongly recommend catching "This is the Kit" live - she does have a stunning voice (I'd also recommend the album "Bashed Out") MH

I don’t think mine came with spikes, however I could be wrong.

I think mine came with the screw in spikes. The boxes are in the loft. I'll have look when i can.

On another note i am off work for 12 weeks now (full pay but seriously pissed off) So ill have plenty of time to listen and tweak them.

These came with the speakers. Spikes and a little cup to sit in to stop the floor getting damaged about the size of a 10p

49709582822_1714952e09_z.jpg2020-03-28_07-31-30 by FITBITSFELLA, on Flickr

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lee M said:

These came with the speakers. Spikes and a little cup to sit in to stop the floor getting damaged about the size of a 10p

49709582822_1714952e09_z.jpg2020-03-28_07-31-30 by FITBITSFELLA, on Flickr

you are an absolute star - thanks so much - I'll definitely need to turn down the ones I've made. I would suggest experimenting with them/trying them instead of the rubber ones - mine made quite a big difference to the sound - MH

2 hours ago, MotherSky said:

you are an absolute star - thanks so much - I'll definitely need to turn down the ones I've made. I would suggest experimenting with them/trying them instead of the rubber ones - mine made quite a big difference to the sound - MH

Well i rememeber leaving them in the garage in the unit between thee speakers. I'm probably to lazy to change over to the spikes. Im gonna try and add a little toe in tonight. As they are facing straight on. 

I'm finding a bit of toe in helps add a bit more focus - not so much that you end up on the tweeter axis, though. Still really torn over these: really impressive playing Nightmares on Wax (Car Boot Soul), Bonobo (Dial M for Monkey), Mungo's Hifi (Serious dubs), The Cinematic Orchestra (Everyday)  - massive soundstage, detailed, dynamic, superb bass drive - but putting on Frazey Ford (Indian Ocean), her vocals seem too far back in the mix, a bit lost, and robbed of some their soulfulness - in a way I shouldn't be too surprised: every change/tweak/choice of valve etc I have made in the last 15-20 years has been with the aim of getting the most out of the 1SCs - expecting everything to remain as well balanced when switching to such a radically different speaker design is hardly realistic - I also suspect that the Proacs are a bit upper mid forward, so I'm acclimatised to a possibly artificial prominence/projection of female vocals - the Hecos have been plumbed in for quite a while now - I'm going to wire the 1SCs back in tomorrow and see if they now seem lacking... given the current situation, I can certainly come to a decision at leisure

How far away from the speakers do you sit? I have my Direkts on wooden plinths, with rubber feet on Direkts and the level adjusted so that tweeters are firing at ear level - this means vertically I am on axis with the tweeters. Each speakers is aimed just behind my head if that makes sense?

• Like 1