Huntergatherer

Record clamps, weight/puck ....thoughts

Have tried a couple on my 301 but never noticed any sonic benefits , therefore never pursued that option.

But as time is now abundant wondered if anyone has any thoughts about their ability to improve sound quality.

Thought on types and compatibility welcome.

Thanks in advance

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

The only reason I use one generally is to keep some quite thin (80’s) vinyl flat so the  cartridge has the best chance of tracking. Sonically, I don’t hear a difference in use

This one cost £15 from Amazon with a spirit level as a bonus

TBH, the less the contact the record has with the spindle, the less chance noise can be transmitted so in reality, this is a bad idea lol

AB69FCC3-B39D-4D6E-BF3D-3470DB4CB857.jpeg

Edited by radiant red
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, radiant red said:

The only reason I use one generally is to keep some quite thin (80’s) vinyl flat so the  cartridge has the best chance of tracking. Sonically, I don’t hear a difference in use

This one cost £15 from Amazon with a spirit level as a bonus

TBH, the less the contact the record has with the spindle, the less chance noise can be transmitted so in reality, this is a bad idea lol

AB69FCC3-B39D-4D6E-BF3D-3470DB4CB857.jpeg

I got this one ebay for £12 or less from China .. I have the Systemdek metal spring clamp but this thingy does the job and has strobe markings on it too .. The Systemdek clamp is collectable I have been told so it is kept nice and safe .. as for sonic benefits I have to use one on my turntable as it has a slightly concave platter so you push down in the middle and it takes out minor warps .. did it sound better than not being clamped - well your guess is a good as mine lol

Mind you some wammer thinks some rare weight carved from ebony is the best sounding clamp in the world ..  so who am i to say it makes little difference (other than adding mass to a lightweight turntable which may improve/change the soundscape

I should add the spirit level is a bubble in a circle and it can look central when it isn't I would still recommend using a decent spirit level to ensure all is bang on

Edited by uzzy
additional data

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Carrington said:

My Townshend deck came with a screw down clamp as standard. Never thought to try it without!

Aye so did some of the Aristons - and of course the Oracle too, although the way it worked (a washer around the center spindle) could result in cracked records.

In general I would say if a turntable is designed with a clamp, such as a Michell Orbe, then use it.

If it isn’t I wouldn’t bother unless you have records that are dished &/or warped.

I guess if a weight/puck is fairly cheap, then like mats & other gizmos giving them a go isn’t ruinous. 

Well I’ve got a super heavy one on its way to me for a trial so I’ll let you know what happens

Super Wammer

I used a Michell clamp when I was a frequent LP user in the pre-CD era.  Interestingly mine was branded NAD as they were badged for various manufacturers back in the heyday.

Many years later, having owned various Pioneer, Dual and Linn turntables I returned to LPs with a actual Michell turntable.  The platter is made from a thick composite very similar to vinyl, and remarkably seems to resist static and hold records well. I’ve not thought to use the clamp with it, although I do have a couple of rather warped LPs which would benefit.  I’m not a fan of the heavy weight due to excessive load on the bearing. 

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, Huntergatherer said:

Well I’ve got a super heavy one on its way to me for a trial so I’ll let you know what happens

Do not drop it on your foot :$ 

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

I have 2 heavy metal ones, and one light plastic one, which grips the spindle tightly when pushed down, this would be what to use on a sprung deck.

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I have 2 heavy metal ones, and one light plastic one, which grips the spindle tightly when pushed down, this would be what to use on a sprung deck.

You can use a big heavy one on a suspended subchassis .. you may need to tighten the springs up a bit to stop the turntable platter grounding .. 

Super Wammer
Just now, uzzy said:

You can use a big heavy one on a suspended subchassis .. you may need to tighten the springs up a bit to stop the turntable platter grounding .. 

No need with the light plastic one. :geek:

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, greybeard said:

No need with the light plastic one. :geek:

But the big heavy one may sound better 
:sofa:

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Not in my experience :nerves:

• Haha 1

Made my own from an ice hockey puck with a 7mm hole drilled in the middle, cost under £4.

15e04780b0f299f047d7916a362f9606.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1