uzzy

Loudspeaker cables for those who think Cables do not sound different

Super Wammer

Over many years and quite a few selling the stuff (from the introduction of GED 79 strand to Monster in the early days - to Sonic Link and the exotic (although by todays standards those cables from the 80s look decidedly cheap.

Now you can shoot me down in flames but to my ears (if we stay in the real world, I did here a massive difference with Kondo Silver Speaker cables but the cables cost a king's ransom) the more strands the fuller the bass  (so if you have speakers with an overblown bass then go for a speaker lead with less strands or single core).  So just as we found in the 70s that QED 79 strand sounded better than bell wire so, for me anyways, the more strands the better.

Now I don't want a big argument and discussion on cables but I just wanted to put it out there for those of us who just want decent quality cables that will do the job for real world prices my go to now is 521 strand 4mm OFC copper cable.    Now Van Damme and others will charge you over  £8  a meter ... now that to me is just a tad expensive for what it is when you can buy 20 meters of OFC 521 strand cable for less than £20 .. 

So if you do want to change your speaker cables from the old thin things you have or the old tired QED 79 strand - this is my current go to place for OFC speaker cable http://www.freesatcable.co.uk/speaker cable/Studio-Grade-Speaker-Cable-521-OFC/20m-of-Studio-Grade-Loudspeaker-Cable-521-Strand-OFC

Now many of you out there will think differently and that is fine but this is for the old farts like me in here who just want great value and decent sound for not a lot of money.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A friend recently brought Mission Speakers (£200 odd) from Richer.  He last brought hi Fi when Maggie was in No 10.  I implored him to get decent cables and recommended Chord.  He emailed me when the cables arrived . He said “ The cables arrived this morning. I did an A/B comparison.  No one likes a smartarse”

nuff said

46 minutes ago, uzzy said:

...so if you have speakers with an overblown bass...

Then you're probably a B&W owner, in which case speaker cables aren't your biggest problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

I don’t want to get sucked into the usual cable debate but I have actually heard copper versus Kondo silver at Definitive about 3 years ago and I couldn’t hear any difference at all I’m afraid but if it’s to your liking, then it’s to your liking. 

Edited by A.S.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Then you're probably a B&W owner, in which case speaker cables aren't your biggest problem.

God no, the last B&Ws I had through my hands were DM2As and they were brill in their time .. far be it for me to name speakers with overblown bass - it could be to do with poor speaker placement and inability to site ideally or a host of reasons .. Far be it for me to piss off all the B&W lovers in here - you can do it for me lol   As to what I have they are listed in my wigwam info .. bass to die for 

12 minutes ago, Minicoupeman said:

I implored him to get decent cables and recommended Chord.  He emailed me when the cables arrived . He said “ The cables arrived this morning. I did an A/B comparison.  No one likes a smartarse”

Aye but the question could be did he compare it to 512 strand OFC cables?:sofa: 

Edited by uzzy

14 minutes ago, A.S. said:

I don’t want to get sucked into the usual cable debate but I have actually heard copper versus Kondo silver at Definitive about 3 years ago and I couldn’t hear any difference at all I’m afraid but if it’s to your liking, then it’s to your liking. 

In some systems the copper was/is the 'better' option. Different strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Far be it for me to piss off all the B&W lovers in here - you can do it for me lol   

I used to piss off John Bowers no end, so it would be just like old times.

• Haha 1

I'm using this cable and I think it's as good as anything I've heard:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TINNED-Thin-wall-cable-10-0mm-7AWG-Auto-Marine-Low-Voltage-CM10-0/112672912862?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=413144891801&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It's not OFC but for me it makes a great speaker cable

• Like 1

Super Wammer
26 minutes ago, mr.me said:

I'm using this cable and I think it's as good as anything I've heard:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TINNED-Thin-wall-cable-10-0mm-7AWG-Auto-Marine-Low-Voltage-CM10-0/112672912862?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=413144891801&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It's not OFC but for me it makes a great speaker cable

It floats your boat and that is all that matters 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

If I was in the market for speaker cable, I would buy something from a Pro Audio store that is used in studios and recording events. It will be robust, reliable, accurately spec’d and sound as good as anything. Good hunting. 

Edited by A.S.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, A.S. said:

If I was in the market for speaker cable, I would buy something from a Pro Audio store that is used in studios and recording events. It will be robust, reliable, accurately apex’s and sound as good as anything. Good hunting. 

I'm looking at using something like this fir my 5 way active setup 

https://www.canford.co.uk/Index/Cable-loudspeaker/CANFORD-MCS-MULTICORE-SPEAKER-CABLE-2.5mm-sq.-conductors

8 x 2.5mm multi core for just under £7 a metre 👍

Edited by MF 1000
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Many years ago I listened to various speaker cables and ended up liking OCOS.  I used Dynaudios at the time but use OCOS still for everything.  I didn't buy any of it new so it wasn't expensive.  Without trying to describe what they do I think they just sound right.  When I think of upgrading my system I never consider different speaker cables.

Edited by firefuocco
typo
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, A.S. said:

If I was in the market for speaker cable, I would buy something from a Pro Audio store that is used in studios and recording events. It will be robust, reliable, accurately apex’s and sound as good as anything. Good hunting. 

Like this maybe?

https://www.vdctrading.com/blog/2016/07/05/abbey-road-extends-studio-two-with-vdc-and-van-damme/

Like @uzzy, the VD 4mm LC-OFC is my default choice.  I’ve not tried his thriftier alternative!
68B2FF5A-C501-4B71-8941-76285DB77080.thumb.jpeg.141787ed45290763541720052102f260.jpeg

Edited by Nopiano

image.thumb.png.22f2d2f0793e651b9df314d4bbd2234c.png

:D

• Haha 3

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, A.S. said:

Studios also use expensive cables but they are just not as expensive as hifi ones

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/MOGAMI-Ultimate-Instrument-Cable-One-straight-one-angled-jack-6m/2LA2

and some pro audio speaker cable

https://www.kmraudio.com/amphion-speaker-cable.php

Edited by DomT
To add speaker cable
  • Upvote 1