uzzy

Loudspeaker cables for those who think Cables do not sound different

Posted (edited)

No they sound the same which isn't a bad thing

I found out 4.0 mm² is the size for me, also if you one day upgarde from a normal amp like a nd c316bee,marantz pm6006 with booskshelf speakers to a monster nad power amp like a 218 or 208 and big floorstand speakers you don't need to change speaker cable that might cost more than the difference between 2.5 mm² and 4.0 mm² speaker cable

Edited by gasolin

1 hour ago, trick cyclist said:

I need to buy some new speaker cable for my set up, as I require some different lengths to my current naca5, but manufacturers rarely release the specs, so I feel I need to stick with the relatively expensive (for me) and highly inflexible naim stuff, of which I need four lots of 5m length, as I'm planning to biwire two ancient naim amps.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Have a look at Van Damme OFC, 4mm should be enough. Some old Naim amps can blow up, if you use the wrong cable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, michaelgb said:

For those who can hear the difference between cables, do you feel that speaker cables or interconnects have more effect  ?

Speaker cable.

I am not able to hear a lot of difference between interconnects, except for the interconnect between the turntable and the (pre)amp. Its capacitance should be low enough, and shielding must be impeccable to carry the low signal of the cartridge without distortion or interference.

Oh yes, I think the difference between copper and silver interconnects is to be noticed easily, the latter providing more sparkle in the highs, which is not always desireable by the way.

1 hour ago, DomT said:

Surely the people who can’t hear a difference in speaker cables all bought the cheapest cable available. Is this the case?

The only reasons to not buy the cheapest are a) they don’t really believe that cables don’t make a difference or b) see a) above 

Or c. they have a niggling doubt at back of their mind which they settle easy with this approach or d. real cheap stuff often doesn't last, is poorly made or e. really cheap might not pass proven science for speaker cable.

Super Wammer
15 hours ago, notevenclose said:

Pedant's corner: not solid, never solid in the cables, 4 or 8 core Litz, multi-strand bundle per core.

Well you can also get it in a solid ribbon .. and Art did an experiment with that (Kondo solid silver ribbon cable) and it sounded fabulous .. not that I would ever be able to afford them lol 

• Like 1

Had a slight sibilance from cd with my new Dyns. After following a recent dac thread, I realised that I had Chord interconnects plugged into my unused old CD player. Knowing them to be the most expensive ones I own, I ran them from my Beresford to my amp- voila! Sibilance  is gone! These were cables that a friend of mine made on a visit to the factory- it’s something Chord used to get visiting retailers to try. Don’t know which ones they are. They’re very stiff and I think they’re silver plated copper? Probably around 20 years old now

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

I came across these on Amazon when I was looking for a second set of cables to bi-amp my Harbeth Compact monitors . My Onkyo AV unit has the ability to switch one pair of the 7.1 outputs to bi-amp the main L/R speakers and as the Harbeth are already fitted with Bi Wire inputs just thought why not . Works very well . At the time i bought these they were supplied by Amazon and the cost was £30 and a few pence including free delivery . Thye are only available now on amazon from a third party seller and they are nearer £50 .

Found the following on e-bay whihc is cheaper but you amy well be able to find them even cheaper with a longer search . What I will say is that these are so well made and constructed that it amkes doing it yourself just not worth the bother . They give the appearance of being huge thick cable with very smart coverings . I am told the banana plaugs are QED cold fused but frankly not sure if that is true or not . They do work very well and at the original £30 not even sceptics have that much to complain about . Only problem I can see is that they seem to only come in one length .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kruger-Matz-Highend-Lautsprecherkabel-KM0335-Boxenkabel-OFC-Bananenstecker-2x3m/233533589105?hash=item365fafc671:g:5a8AAOSwoyledHCA

I have included the original link on Amazon just so you can see the photos but have already mentioned the price hike.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078MHM3P6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by bencat

Super Wammer
47 minutes ago, bencat said:

I came across these on Amazon when I was looking for a second set of cables to bi-amp my Harbeth Compact monitors . My Onkyo AV unit has the ability to switch one pair of the 7.1 outputs to bi-amp the main L/R speakers and as the Harbeth are already fitted with Bi Wire inputs just thought why not . Works very well . At the time i bought these they were supplied by Amazon and the cost was £30 and a few pence including free delivery . Thye are only available now on amazon from a third party seller and they are nearer £50 .

Found the following on e-bay whihc is cheaper but you amy well be able to find them even cheaper with a longer search . What I will say is that these are so well made and constructed that it amkes doing it yourself just not worth the bother . They give the appearance of being huge thick cable with very smart coverings . I am told the banana plaugs are QED cold fused but frankly not sure if that is true or not . They do work very well and at the original £30 not even sceptics have that much to complain about . Only problem I can see is that they seem to only come in one length .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kruger-Matz-Highend-Lautsprecherkabel-KM0335-Boxenkabel-OFC-Bananenstecker-2x3m/233533589105?hash=item365fafc671:g:5a8AAOSwoyledHCA

I have included the original link on Amazon just so you can see the photos but have already mentioned the price hike.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078MHM3P6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they look nice with all the braiding - however the insides are just 2 x 2,5mm² .. just thought I ought to point that out .  I am not sure how much it adds to the sound quality but of course the braiding will add to the price .. for those liking the look you can buy polyester braiding to slot your ordinary cables in https://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/products/braided-sleeving/hegp04/170-10400

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, uzzy said:

Well you can also get it in a solid ribbon .. and Art did an experiment with that (Kondo solid silver ribbon cable) and it sounded fabulous .. not that I would ever be able to afford them lol 

Some of the Kondo transformers were/are wound with solid silver wire. The point I was making is I'm pretty sure there's never been an 'off the shelf' cable product sold by Kondo using a solid core, either copper or silver.

I actually had a set of 15cm jumpers made from solid silver for my crossovers back in the day, supplied by Definitive as something of an experiment. I don't think they persisted with them for long.

There is an enduring myth that the top of the range Auditoriums, the OBX-RWs, were wired internally with Kondo, as per Art. There was, indeed, a review which stated as much. Not true in fact, while there certainly were experiments, Kevin actually preferred a secret sauce of his own devising which has long been used for internal wiring on the LV Auditorium Series.

Ironically, I think the Dunlops got their Kondo cable from Definitive, although that's presumably different now given the change in distribution. And assuming of course Art still offer a Kondo-wired option? Not a range I know a lot about these days, and of course all the Kondo cables themselves have changed on Masaki's watch. If you check the 'Stuff' page on the DA website, you'll see you can even buy some lengths of the newer internal power cabling extracted from Kondo pre-amps. Mr Scott isn't much of a fan of the new stuff and has been replacing the new generation internal wiring and pots for a good couple of years or more.

Anyway, for what it's worth, over the last 12 years or so I've owned the original sPc-generation Kondo copper cables, the SPz-generation silver cables, and the SPcII, which is still my weapon of choice throughout the system, ie. power cables, in every case including the one on the mains block, interconnects and speaker cables.

I did at one time also own a copper Kondo digital cable, but that was actually outperformed by a 15 quid D-Sub cable between a CEC transport and DAC, so I like to think I still retain something of an open mind. To be fair the D-Sub cable was used to implement CEC's 'SuperLink' interface which gets us into the realm of reclocking etc, so not exactly a straight cable comparison as such.

FWIW, to my ears, the differences betwixt silver and copper, specifically with the Kondo cables at least, doesn't really conform to the commonly touted 'silver is more detailed but brighter' school of hearsay thought. I confess I've never heard any of the new generation so don't know if the same is true of them. 

Edited by notevenclose
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, uzzy said:

they look nice with all the braiding - however the insides are just 2 x 2,5mm² .. just thought I ought to point that out .  I am not sure how much it adds to the sound quality but of course the braiding will add to the price .. for those liking the look you can buy polyester braiding to slot your ordinary cables in https://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/products/braided-sleeving/hegp04/170-10400

Still look great and sound top class so for me they fit the bill of the thread title at not much money and could impress the gullible.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, bencat said:

Still look great and sound top class so for me they fit the bill of the thread title at not much money and could impress the gullible.

A bit like taping bin liners to the sides of an Austin Allegro to ‘tart it up’.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, uzzy said:

If i ever win the lottery ( would help if i actually played it lol) ill buy you a pair of kondo silvers..a glimmer of hope in these dark times..👍

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Nearly bewildered said:

( would help if i actually played it lol)

I often think that about myself.  The consolation is that after 25 years of not playing it, say, 50 weeks a year, you are up about £1250!

• Like 1