UK Missed Out On EU Ventilator Scheme Due To Email Mix-Up
So not bloody minded, merely bloody incompetent.

Who?, what?, where?, when?, why?.
Any link.

• Upvote 1

I suspect that now the pressure is on, any excuse will do as long as Brexit is protected.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

BBC News - Coronavirus: 'Mix-up' over EU ventilator scheme
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694

Little English lungs don’t work with foreign ventilators.

• Sad 1

Apparantly the two firms that make ventilators in the UK are yet to receive any orders from the UK Govt. Excuse is they draw too much current (in the order of a light bulb which does not worry all the other countries ordering them!) but never fear orders are going to the Brexit supporting Tory donating company called Dyson for 10,000 unproven ventilators. Will no doubt come on stream later in the year when the crises is nearly over and all the pesky old people who are not economically active are dead.

10 minutes ago, Bit Perfect said:

Apparantly the two firms that make ventilators in the UK are yet to receive any orders from the UK Govt. Excuse is they draw too much current (in the order of a light bulb which does not worry all the other countries ordering them!) but never fear orders are going to the Brexit supporting Tory donating company called Dyson for 10,000 unproven ventilators. Will no doubt come on stream later in the year when the crises is nearly over and all the pesky old people who are not economically active are dead.

I did wonder how Dyson got that order when we already have companies with a proven track record in making ventilators.

Now really isn't the time to be messing with prototypes...

• Upvote 3

Will they be cordless ventilators?

Very convenient - providing you have no desire to live for more than about 7 minutes...

Posted (edited)

One thing is certain - if Dyson either don't deliver on time or (worse) their ventilator doesn't work, the fallout will be brutal.

I just don't get it. The risks are simply too great.

Edited by horace

Perhaps they should’ve gone with some Sharks instead :whistle:.

Posted (edited)

I'm on two camps on this... Lets not mess about, Dyson has created some great products and has vastly improved and re-engineered some existing designs.

They also employ some bloody gifted engineers, I can vouch for this as I've previously worked with someone who was very senior in Dyson for quite some time... 

If they turn their attention to it and give it full whack, why not? 

edit: to add/clarify. I am not employed by and have nothing to do with Dyson. 

Edited by Amormusic

3 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

I'm on two camps on this... Lets not mess about, Dyson has created some great products and has vastly improved and re-engineered some existing designs.

They also employ some bloody gifted engineers, I can vouch for this as I've previously worked with someone who was very senior in Dyson for quite some time... 

If they turn their attention to it and give it full whack, why not? 

edit: to add/clarify. I am not employed by and have nothing to do with Dyson. 

I really hope they can do it - but it does seem a hell of a punt under the circumstances.

Just now, horace said:

I really hope they can do it

Me too. The country needs it. 

I think each and every decision the Govt. makes in this circumstance is being made swiftly as everything is developing so fast...

I hope Dyson do it well... From what I've seen in terms of their released and improvement of existing products, plus the discussions with my colleague who is ex-Dyson I think they certainly have the engineering skillset...

Let's hope they do the UK proud...

Not only we have unproven and potentially below spec ventilators on order but also test to check if we've already had the virus. The world is on its head both literally and figuratively.

By the way if anyone can pull off decent design and build this quick my money would be on Dyson. Dyson is not the problem. Weird government priorities are.

Just hope the government are not going for three quotes and a very lengthy assessment phase before selecting a supplier.