Sign in to follow this  
plasticpenguin

Arcam A65 Plus

Thought I'd give a mention to this amp. I owned one for years (7 in fact) and still wished I had it as a back up. Such an underestimated amplifier, and unlike earlier incarnations was more transparent and open. Not much cop for nightclub levels but everyday listening it's a fabulous little amp.

Anyone else have experience of this amp? 

I've not but I've struggled with their earlier Alpha amps (7/8/9) as being too recessed in the highs, so interesting if this was a break from that style.

39 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

I've not but I've struggled with their earlier Alpha amps (7/8/9) as being too recessed in the highs, so interesting if this was a break from that style.

I've still got the Alpha 7R in the attic. It's fine with the right speakers but the DIVA range tends to be more open, and strangely, more involving. Before buying the Leema I've home and shop demoed most of the popular brands below the grand mark, and others have the advantage in certain areas but for the overall sound, and at the price, I've yet to hear better at bargain bucket price.

The only amp in my budget at the time that was better that was the Creek Evo2. The biggest problem was the Creek didn't come with a phono stage, and the separate module took the package over budget.

Only had A75 and A85 from DIVA range and liked/disliked them both at the same time. Also 7R and 8... both could not complain about. Good engineering. 

@insider9 What was your dislike of the DIVA range?

I home demoed a pair of PMC DB1i with the A65+. In hinsight I wished I'd gone that route. The A65 really punched way above it's price tag. Superb combo. And would've saved me a lot of money.

got a lot of time for the arcam diva series , until recently was using a a75 with my horns . partially because it has tone controls and actually sounded very very balanced and those who have listened to the system have liked it rather a lot .    its only just been superceded by some class d with a bel canto pre 3 , becuase that has more holographic sound than the arcam . but at 150 quid or so these a65 and a75 are rather a bargain 

might be worth merging this thread 

21 hours ago, hifinutt said:

got a lot of time for the arcam diva series , until recently was using a a75 with my horns . partially because it has tone controls and actually sounded very very balanced and those who have listened to the system have liked it rather a lot .    its only just been superceded by some class d with a bel canto pre 3 , becuase that has more holographic sound than the arcam . but at 150 quid or so these a65 and a75 are rather a bargain 

might be worth merging this thread 

If the Mods want to  merge the thread, that's fine by me. I just thought the A65+ deserved a thread by itself. It's an amp that rarely gets a mention unless someone has one to upgrade.

It is strange I spent close on two years to find the right upgrade. Part of me just didn't want to get rid. VFM terms, I'm struggling to think of a better one, especially at the current s/h prices.

• Like 1