rockmeister

Tannoy 12" MGR build

Just finished a pair of ported 120Litre cabs for 1970's 12" Monitor Gold R's. Interesting from 2 points I think. First, I know zero about cab building or tannoys, so the first thread linked below is building info and contains lots of sources and websites and discussion if anyone is contemplating something similar, and, during that I came across the theory of 'constrained layer damping' for the cabinet walls. It's well referenced in that first thread and the result seems excellent.

The second link is the actual building thread.

I hope I'm allowed these links to PFM...it's too long to reproduce here, but I'll add a photo here for temptations sake :)

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/building-tannoys-beginners-help-please.236233/

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/building-120l-cabs-for-12-tannoy-monitor-gold-rs.237172/

IMG_0161.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

nice one. here is my custom made Tannoy's ...around 180 liters.

92353926_222257029024480_4235888822547644416_n.jpg

Edited by Arvydas Miledazis
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Big drivers benefit from big cabs ...have you measured the in room response curve for them yet ?

6 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Big drivers benefit from big cabs ...have you measured the in room response curve for them yet ?

nop, not measured yet. Speakers position is on definitely wrong position, if I move a little forward, I have sound improving. Unfortunately room design and WA factor..:D But, one very important thing on my room design. The wall where located speakers have standard high, opposite wall, 6 meters away and around 5.50 meters in high. 

92374137_1403320506522183_6245011641000263680_n.jpg

Super Wammer

Being able to check the response with a UMIK mike & REW will make positioning so much easier, also a cheap laser pen off eBay can be used on the cabinet to aide toe in alignment to you listening hot spot.  

Im sure ther will be a wammer near you who might have the measuring kit who could help (once we are released from lockdown of course) - fill out your profile details so we know whereabouts you are etc.