JohnnyBuchan

My new LP12... this can't be right???

8 minutes ago, Clownmaster said:

Might be worth trying a different phono stage in the short term - perhaps you could borrow one from Peter via the postal service? 

Something like a Rega MC Fono or DV P75 would do the trick. I’ve never been convinced by the internal phono stages in the Majik / Akurate DSMs in any case

Peter has sent him one so will be interesting to hear how he gets on next week. The difficult thing here is the 'fault' is not a simple on/off issue but one of the OP not being happy with the sound of the deck in his system at home. In the great scheme of things at the moment if that is the biggest problem you have then you can count yourself lucky. Remote diagnosis is pretty much impossible. I did have one customer a long time back who thought his system sounded flat. Was quite local so went round. Turned out his speakers were behind a sofa. I kid you not.

CJ

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Cymbiosis said:

Anyway, a lot of ground covered and all this while we are closed for business courtesy of HM Government's COVID19 restrictions for non essential business

Peter, living in Germany I did'nt have the chance to meet you or visit the Cymbiosis Houses of the Holy. It's still on my todo list, whenever the wind blows me close to the place. But I've been following your advice on this and the old forum. As we Linnies are all critically depending on the few guys like yourself, who can make an LP 12 sing, I'm deeply grateful to HM Goverment's approach to assure that your essential services shall continue, and the song remains the same when the crisis is under control.

I'm myself in the situation that I cannot visit my trusted dealer's shop, and do what I'd like to do most: get remedy for the update virus.

But given the fact that the new Corona virus spreads so fast, I feel CoronaLockdown is the most sensible option at this point in time. Just to make things more tangible: When one gets the flu, they infect ~ 1,3 persons on average. These infect others, and so on. Thus, over 10 stages there are ~ 14 newly infected.

With Covid19 one infects ~ 3 persons. This looks like a small difference in comparison to 1,3 but over 10 stages this summs up (or rather multiplies) to ~ 59.000 (fiftyninethousand) newly infected.

Physical separation and digital connection is the best we can do to reduce exponential growth, and relieve the stress on hospitals.

I for one am prepared to place my update order without listening, or maybe with listening to the advice of my trusted dealer (by phone, or email), and the great folks on this forum.

Stay safe, and stay at home - and don't forget to boogie!

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 3

Never liked the Linn internal m/c board, and I found steaming from tidal and my NAS sounded better then my LP12 ( lower spec at the time ) thru the MDSM W/ m/c . Maybe it’s just a matter of the OP’s expectations vs what the internal card can deliver. Nothing wrong with wanting better in this hobby, right? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arm said:

Never liked the Linn internal m/c board, and I found steaming from tidal and my NAS sounded better then my LP12 ( lower spec at the time ) thru the MDSM W/ m/c . Maybe it’s just a matter of the OP’s expectations vs what the internal card can deliver. Nothing wrong with wanting better in this hobby, right? 

Good point.

I too never really ‘warmed’ to the internal MM boards of my MK & AK/1. Since I started using Uphorik (together with other LP12 upgrades) it’s been a game-changer for my vinyl replay.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, CJ1045 said:

I understand that you cannot have customers visit the premises but you are not forced to close otherwise, I think. Most dealers I speak to are using this time to work through their trade-off stockpile and advertise it. Or have I missed something.

CJ

You have....

IMG_6973 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Cymbiosis
  • Like 1

Sorry, don't understand

CJ

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

Good point.

I too never really ‘warmed’ to the internal MM boards of my MK & AK/1. Since I started using Uphorik (together with other LP12 upgrades) it’s been a game-changer for my vinyl replay.

I think we have to be realistic .  The m/c card is worth £330 vs Uphorik. At £2100. Plus having m/c inside a pre/ streamer doesn’t exactly provide the best shielding for  a phono signal. But I have said it before , the internal card is the weakest link in today’s modern Linn gear. Almost any external pre at the same price would be better. Did I mention I hate this board?. Lol. . 

Edited by arm
  • Upvote 2

On 28/03/2020 at 15:15, arm said:

Quite odd. At least the MM board does the job very good and a current Majik deck (Cirkus) with Valhalla, Ittok and Adikt/1 totally demolishes streaming, either from NAS or through MDSM/2 and AEDSM. The MC board I don't know as the time when I compared with Linto I had Kahn top plate and then everything sounded flat and "HiFi". 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, formann said:

Quite odd. At least the MM board does the job very good and a current Majik deck (Cirkus) with Valhalla, Ittok and Adikt/1 totally demolishes streaming, either from NAS or through MDSM/2 and AEDSM. The MC board I don't know as the time when I compared with Linto I had Kahn top plate and then everything sounded flat and "HiFi". 

And I really wanted to like it because I wanted to get ride of a “box” in my system. So, I was positively  disposed to like it .

I thought I'd post an update on what has been happening with my LP12.

About 10 minutes after putting up my original post, Peter at Cymbiosis got in touch... it never occurred to me to give him a bell in the first place! :roll:

Having run through the symptoms we were both of a similar view that most likely candidate was the phono stage in the ADSM and less than 48 hours later a Rega MC stage landed on my doorstep from Peter to try-out and give me something to compare against.

So it had been a few days since the issue had arisen and it wasn’t without a degree of surprise that I found the deck was performing significantly better :oops:. I guess this must be the cartridge settling in and starting to work properly.

Switching to the Rega Phono (after letting it warm-up), initial impression is a warmer, more detailed and engaging listen than the on-board Linn stage… (Why on earth do Linn make those RCA plugs so flaming tight!!??)

Using Miles Davis “Kind of Blue” on 180g vinyl and streaming the HD version on Qobuz as a basis for comparison, I was surprised to find that the Rega was actually outperforming the streamed HD version.

The little Rega stage really does give the on-board Linn a bit of a kicking! Things do however seem to be continually improving, I guess it is also entirely possible that the on-board Linn stage is itself running-in.

Anyway the great news in all of this is that there is clearly absolutely nothing wrong with the deck itself.:oj:

Many thanks to Peter Swain for his help, support and outstanding customer service… all being well there will likely be a phono stage purchase at Cymbiosis on the other side of this current apocalypse. :cool:

JB

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hello JB,

Thanks for the update and I'm pleased everything is sounding much better as it runs in.

Always happy to help and respond in the best way I can. Particularly so given the current pandemic.

Once the time is right and things return to normal I very much hope we will listen to some better phono stages, so as to ensure you are realising the full potential of your LP12 combination :)

Best wishes,

Peter

• Like 1

From a post above by CJ1045:

Sorry, don't understand

CJ

I've been using my time well I believe, keeping busy carrying out lots of things.....Including listening tests, using two otherwise almost identical Klimax LP12s at home. One Cirkus and one Karousel as in the picture and posting my findings. Today I have finished an Akurate level LP12 with Karousel for evaluation too, once it's run in.

Never a dull moment for sure.

Peter

Hi Guys

This could have been a setting issue for the input impedance for the OC9 cartridge.

Linn cartridges prefer a low resistance setting of around 50 ohms, which is possibly the setting of the integrated Linn MC card.

AT MC's prefer a minimum of 100ohms plus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cymbiosis said:

From a post above by CJ1045:

I've been using my time well I believe, keeping busy carrying out lots of things.....Including listening tests, using two otherwise almost identical Klimax LP12s at home. One Cirkus and one Karousel as in the picture and posting my findings. Today I have finished an Akurate level LP12 with Karousel for evaluation too, once it's run in.

Never a dull moment for sure.

Peter

That makes sense, thought you meant that you had to stop any type of work.

CJ