JohnnyBuchan

Phono stages - What are people using?

4 hours ago, Fenderbassplayer John said:

Linto with Krystal

Ditto. Sounds sublime.

Posted (edited)

I'll advocate for a new version of a longtime classic: the EAR PhonoBox by the legendary Tim Paravicini. It's a replacement for the venerated EAR 834P.   Tube based and a special product.  It's not ruthlessly revealing but doesn't smooth over detail either. Gorgeous midrange and a rounded,full, real tube bass.  On my LP 12/Lingo1/Aro/Linn Krystal, playing a lovely Decca Let it Bleed - it is lifelike and magical.  As it is on all chamber music, singer songwriter, 70s rock.  Nothing digital in the chain at all. Signal going through a hybrid Lector integrated amp into JMR Cantabile speakers. I love matching the incisiveness of the Linn Krystal with this tube stage.  A great review here by the Ken Kessler. https://www.hifinews.com/content/ear-phonobox-phono-mmmc-preamplifier

Edited by mskaye
  • Like 1

Lejonklou SINGularity pair with a Kandid, but I don't think it is what you are looking for.  However, I would definitely check out the Lejonklou Entity, it is something quite special.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Convergent Audio SL1 Sig 5000 series with rolled in NOS 12Au7Siemens and NOS 1963 GE 12AX7 long plates. Makes music with my Kleos.

Edited by Daveyf

Uphorik with Krystal. Had a 25th anniversary Linto for decades.

I'm still hesitating to grab a Urika II, despite the system being Exakted. This step-up would cancel my option to step down to Adikt, once the cash-flow collapses upon retirement. With Corona's unknown impact on business this concern is getting even more substancial now. If companies need to lay-off staff in an economic crises, the old farts like yours truly are probably the first to go. Part of my personal philosophy is, to take decisions in a way that it opens up more options, as it offers more flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances.

Before CoronaLockdown, I planned to see my dealer and do an Adikt vs Krystal comparison - which I never before did, as my Krystal was inheriting its place from an Akiva.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

Uphorik with Krystal. Had a 25th anniversary Linto for decades.

I'm still hesitating to grab a Urika II, despite the system being Exakted. This step-up would cancel my option to step down to Adikt, once the cash-flow collapses upon retirement. With Corona's unknown impact on business this concern is getting even more substancial now. If companies need to lay-off staff in an economic crises, the old farts like yours truly are probably the first to go. Part of my personal philosophy is, to take decisions in a way that it opens up more options, as it offers more flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances.

Before CoronaLockdown, I planned to see my dealer and do an Adikt vs Krystal comparison - which I never before did, as my Krystal was inheriting its place from an Akiva.

I feel your pain re : Corona lockdown. I work partly on commission and salary. My commission will be cut by 50 percent this year and on Friday I was told I was to go on unemployment insurance as of this week. One hour later out PM announced a 75 % salary subsidy.  Anyway you slice it my plans for a Kradikal + urika II and free Karousel look distance now. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use an Icon Audio PS3 Mk2 valve rectified and regulated power supply for an Icon Audio PS3 Mk2 phono stage with Jenson capacitors upgrade. I love the sound of my system but I can't say that I've ever tried a different phono stage in it to compare. I use a Dynavector XX2/2

Cheers Ady 

Edited by Ady

Super Wammer

I use the one in the AEDSM set to MM for a Goldring 900 with a Jelco stylus.  But that's probably not that useful as its only there just so I can play vinyl should the need arise, rather than because I like to play vinyl :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HDMan72 said:

Linto for Audio Technica AT33PTG/II

Warms my heart. My old friend has found a wonderful new home and has settled in nicely.

• Like 1

I use a Ryan Sound Lab PS with Krystal and I am very happy with this setup. My records have never sounded so good.

Colin

Posted (edited)
On 28/03/2020 at 19:55, mskaye said:

I'll advocate for a new version of a longtime classic: the EAR PhonoBox by the legendary Tim Paravicini. It's a replacement for the venerated EAR 834P.   Tube based and a special product.  It's not ruthlessly revealing but doesn't smooth over detail either. Gorgeous midrange and a rounded,full, real tube bass.  On my LP 12/Lingo1/Aro/Linn Krystal, playing a lovely Decca Let it Bleed - it is lifelike and magical.  As it is on all chamber music, singer songwriter, 70s rock.  Nothing digital in the chain at all. Signal going through a hybrid Lector integrated amp into JMR Cantabile speakers. I love matching the incisiveness of the Linn Krystal with this tube stage.  A great review here by the Ken Kessler. https://www.hifinews.com/content/ear-phonobox-phono-mmmc-preamplifier

nice feedback I'm thorn between this ( 324/834 are special)  and Urika to replace the prefix.

Digital Urika(not familiar with the analogue version ) definitely gives a hint of digital glare, but does suit the leaner , neutral approach the best. But you need a Radikal first.

Two equally seducing ways.

My educated guess, I'll try thePhonoBox first (especially if going directly into active ATC  20s)  and Urika after Karousel/Kore/Ekos being scheduled.

Edited by Harbie