DomT

help me choose a power amp for Harbeth P3ESR

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone

I am looking for a power amp for some secondhand Harbeth P3ESRs that I have just bought today and hopefully they will work well in the studio (but will keep my active Adams for tracking)

This  thread is about my needs for mixing tracks in the studio.  The signal chain will be mixer pre-out to power amp to Harbeths. I went to SoundonSound and read an article on how to buy a power amp and the amps recommended were all hifi amps and so here I am on this forum instead of a pro-audio one. And these days almost nobody uses passive monitors in project studios.

I might look at a new Behringer digital amp with eq etc etc but think that I prefer an old school approach.  I have absolutely no clue about power amps and am out of money.  Can you guys recommend me something secondhand and cheap that will do the job; maybe £200-400.  Nothing class A due to heat and power consumption.  Something neutral and clean sounding. And preferably not too big.  Prefer something from the last 10 years for reliability.  The soundonSound article recommended Creek, Nad and Rotel.   When I was 18 I lusted after a Quad 405 but could only afford the 303 and maybe the 405 is too much of a daft idea but Gary Numan still uses his to this day with vintage Tannoys!

Thanks

Dom

Edited by DomT
typo

Posted (edited)

The 303 with the Harbs. sounds beautiful. SQ per pound factor is well up there.

Edit: Re-read your post, perhaps not the most neutral of amps, bit on the warmer side.

Edited by Ian

36 minutes ago, DomT said:

Gary Numan still uses his to this day with vintage Tannoys!

This is good to know. I used to love G.N and Tubeway army, went to see him a couple of times in my teens. Used some great old analogue synths back then.

I often wonder what pop stars and musicians listen on 

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, Ian said:

The 303 with the Harbs. sounds beautiful. SQ per pound factor is well up there.

Edit: Re-read your post, perhaps not the most neutral of amps, bit on the warmer side.

Thanks Ian. Am not looking for perfection but as it’s for mixing I would prefer something cleanish. My Marantz that I am using with the (temporary) Proacs is a little bit warm but I can clearly hear everything and could easily mix on that combo. I do think though that the 303 is a little bit too warm.  

There's a nice Densen power amp for sale, that should be nice and clean, smallish and reliable 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Densen-b300-power-amplifier/352998725164?hash=item52305d162c:g:fGIAAOSwXbZeaAKM

Posted (edited)

welcome to the Harbeth P3ESR family 😂🤣 Wanna go with the Crown XLS 1002? 

Edited by tIANcI

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

There's a nice Densen power amp for sale, that should be nice and clean, smallish and reliable 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Densen-b300-power-amplifier/352998725164?hash=item52305d162c:g:fGIAAOSwXbZeaAKM

That’s a blast from my past. Had a Denson CDP and Amp at home 7 years ago. Really sharp edges put us off but good sound. Will give it some thought. Thanks

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

welcome to the Harbeth P3ESR family 😂🤣 Wanna go with the Crown XLS 1002? 

No idea!! What can you tell me about it. Never heard of the brand. 

1 hour ago, DomT said:

No idea!! What can you tell me about it. Never heard of the brand. 

Crown makes Pro Audio amps. Those you get for events and concerts. Not top of the line concert amps but it’s ok.

Recentky, many have been using amps from this range for hifi. It’s a class D. Reviews by owners are they sound ok.

The XLS 1002 is 215w into 8ohms. UK price is around £260.

Would seem to be great value for money in a home studio.

Super Wammer

The Crown seems to provoke views both positive and negative. Will stick to the SoS advice and stick with a hifi power amp. 

• Upvote 1

A big Sugden

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

A big Sugden

For £200-400?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, DomT said:

For £200-400?

Sorry, perhaps not.

I believe they need a bit up 'em

Edited by Colinjg

10 hours ago, DomT said:

The Crown seems to provoke views both positive and negative. Will stick to the SoS advice and stick with a hifi power amp. 

Used Yamaha AS-801? I’m using the RN803 for my bedroom set up. It’s nice. Tried it with the P3ESR, pretty decent.

13 hours ago, DomT said:

Thanks Ian. Am not looking for perfection but as it’s for mixing I would prefer something cleanish. My Marantz that I am using with the (temporary) Proacs is a little bit warm but I can clearly hear everything and could easily mix on that combo. I do think though that the 303 is a little bit too warm.  

Absolutely Dom, as I said, I hadn't really read your post properly, being a little over enthusiastic to respond to one of my favourite topics !