DomT

help me choose a power amp for Harbeth P3ESR

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

Used Yamaha AS-801? I’m using the RN803 for my bedroom set up. It’s nice. Tried it with the P3ESR, pretty decent.

These are integrated amps similar to the Marantz that I will use for streaming etc. I need a power amp unless these have a preamp input that I can’t seem to find. Even if they do it doesn’t make sense to replicate the amp that I already have. Was hoping for a better power amp if poss. 

Edited by DomT
Typo

You could do a lot worse than grabbing a cheap chip amp and seeing how you get on with that? Small, runs cool, clean, neutral, cheap. Seems to tick all the boxes (except cachet)

Temple audio make posh ones, eBay has many many options for silly money.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Jazid said:

You could do a lot worse than grabbing a cheap chip amp and seeing how you get on with that? Small, runs cool, clean, neutral, cheap. Seems to tick all the boxes (except cachet)

Temple audio make posh ones, eBay has many many options for silly money.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks but not my thing. Would rather go Class a/b and stay old school. Cachet doesn’t come into it in this instance as it’s for a recording application. 

Super Wammer

How about a Linn LK140? Have never heard one but read some good reviews and they are not too much money. 

Also was thinking Quad 99 or 909. Would these work well?

On reflection something neutral, not lean, but a touch warm would be ok. Think that I might need to increase budget a little as even 30 year old NAD power amps are being advertised for £300!! 

they have reduced the price of these and they were a bargain before !!! 

https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/edge-a2-300

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

they have reduced the price of these and they were a bargain before !!! 

https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/edge-a2-300

Thanks but I am looking for something old school. If I go class D then I might as well go the proaudio route and get eq etc etc

and just to add that I have just read the Paul Rigny review and didn’t like this comment “The A2-300 tackles sound in a particular way. It always seems super excited to be playing music and tracks the same in very enthusiastic kinda way. Music is lifted and projected towards you in a “Oh, you gotta hear this, let me show you…” sort of way.” That’s the opposite of what I am looking for.

Edited by DomT
Paul Rigny quote

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, hifinutt said:
Edited by DomT
Double post

funnily enough i had a sugden a21se here recently with my p3esr , it is class A as you know but not that good . then my humble arcam a75 that cost pennies sounded so good , delightfully analogue and very lovely [ with a modded jolida dac ] its all a matter of experimentation . as to class d i have found them to be quite warm with my bc pre 3 , i cannot stand cold and clean sound . 

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, hifinutt said:

funnily enough i had a sugden a21se here recently with my p3esr , it is class A as you know but not that good . then my humble arcam a75 that cost pennies sounded so good , delightfully analogue and very lovely [ with a modded jolida dac ] its all a matter of experimentation . as to class d i have found them to be quite warm with my bc pre 3 , i cannot stand cold and clean sound . 

I agree about experimenting but I don’t have the time or inclination. Would rather go with a ‘dead cert’. My limited experience with class D to date has been negative but maybe I’ve been unlucky (I tried Nad).

The ‘more obvious class a/b contenders’ seem to be Quad, Nad, Rotel, Marantz. Arcam and MF might be too warm as I need to be able to hear the mix clearly. 

Have decided to budget up to £600.

• Like 1

Quad 909?  Usually around £450 used.  Lots of power with a bit of warmth.

• Like 3

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, jas0_0 said:

Quad 909?  Usually around £450 used.  Lots of power with a bit of warmth.

Goes will with P3ESR?

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, Ian said:

Oh yes. 

Hi Ian

Have you ever directly compared it to your Crofts with your P3s? Am familiar with the Crofts so it would be interesting to hear what the differences are. 

Thanks

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, DomT said:

Hi Ian

Have you ever directly compared it to your Crofts with your P3s? Am familiar with the Crofts so it would be interesting to hear what the differences are. 

Thanks

Hi Dom, I ran one with my then unfettled 25R when I had the 7 as opposed to the 7 monos. I bought it simply for a bit of fun because it was an excellent price on ebay of all places and I knew I'd get my money back. Which I did.

Really difficult to pin the differences down to be honest, perhaps the mid range was a tad more pronounced, and gorgeous.The Croft perhaps had a little more delicacy and refinement. We're really not talking big margins here. I could of course have happily lived with it, but my core system is Croft. It's without doubt on the cleaner side of the 303. I didn't mention it originally as I thought it over budget, but perhaps not. The 303 and the 909 are my favourite Quad transistor amps, for different reasons.

Edited by Ian

Super Wammer
49 minutes ago, Ian said:

Hi Dom, I ran one with my then unfettled 25R when I had the 7 as opposed to the 7 monos. I bought it simply for a bit of fun because it was an excellent price on ebay of all places and I knew I'd get my money back. Which I did.

Really difficult to pin the differences down to be honest, perhaps the mid range was a tad more pronounced, and gorgeous.The Croft perhaps had a little more delicacy and refinement. We're really not talking big margins here. I could of course have happily lived with it, but my core system is Croft. It's without doubt on the cleaner side of the 303. I didn't mention it originally as I thought it over budget, but perhaps not. The 303 and the 909 are my favourite Quad transistor amps, for different reasons.

Based on what you say the 909 could be a contender as I don’t need the delicacy of the Crofts. I assume that a 909 for my purposes would be better than the 303. Bass depth and control would be important for mixing my tracks. I thought about the Quads more from a technical than a hifi perspective because of the current dumping.