andyrlb

Where was your Hifi made ?

Perhaps what the laws allows it to be stated when labeling Made In ...

Yes +1
I was trying to keep it simple,
Technics - Japan
Tannoy- British
Krell - American
And so on ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, TheFlash said:

At the risk of sounding like a pedantic spoilsport ("oh stop, you pedantic spoilsport"), what do we mean by "made"?

The Mini is made (final assembled) in UK but, I presume, has a good portion of German parts going into it. I suspect the same is true of many superfically "made in UK" hifi components. A lot of my stuff says Arcam on the front but I'm not sure what percentage (by value, volume or weight!) originated in the UK. My ATC speakers are unusual in that even the drivers are UK-manufactured; on the surface, ProAc is a similarly thoroughly British brand but their drivers have always come from Scandinavia and elsewhere.

I suspect by any measure, most of us would find we have more non-British bits in our systems than the brands would suggest. And FWIW I have absolutely no problem with that.

So do we mean British-designed and British-assembled? I think that's a definition of Britishness most of us could live with.

:minikev:

Absolutely.

Plus, British designed and British assembled might well mean that the entire thing is actually made in another country and put together here. I can think of at least one small brand British hi-fi manufacturer who designs their stuff here, has all the parts, boards and casework made in China and does the final assembly here. Is that 'British'? To me it is, but to many it isn't.

It's a pointless exercise really, because there is no universally accepted definition of 'made'. My preamplifier was made about twenty metres away, but the components come from most corners of the globe.

• Like 3

Just now, andyrlb said:

Yes +1
I was trying to keep it simple,
Technics - Japan
Tannoy- British
Krell - American
And so on ....

I had to check where my Mytek was made in ... Poland 😂🤣

• Like 1

I do see a lot of British though guys !!
Still no French ( Hifi ) I thought they once made some decent gear

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, andyrlb said:

They still do. Lavardin, Metronome, Jadis, Neodio come immediately to mind. Micromega too if historically you didn't mind bits coming off in your hand with a Gallic shrug.

On the other hand of course they have to be held accountable for Focal.

Edited by notevenclose
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I had a listen to a Jadis i35 recently. Pretty nice amp. Rated at a mere 35w Class A and it was driving a pair of Franco Serblin Accordo. Vol level was a mere 20% at moderate volume in a large room.

Oh yeah ... also at same place was the Devialet. Impressive amp

Edited by tIANcI

I will create a database from these offerings if the mods have no objections?
I’ll give until next Friday?

They still do. Lavardin, Metronome, Jadis, Neodio come immediately to mind. Micromega too if historically you didn't mind bits coming off in your hand with a Gallic shrug.
On the other hand of course they have to be held accountable for Focal.

But none have mentioned these

1 minute ago, andyrlb said:

You started the ball rolling with countries of manufacture, not brands...

My rack is French, K-Rak by Lavardin, plus I've owned an amp and a complete set of their cables. And I do tend to lick the screen whenever the Neodio CD player comes into view, does that count?

You started the ball rolling with countries of manufacture, not brands...
My rack is French, K-Rak by Lavardin, plus I've owned an amp and a complete set of their cables. And I do tend to lick the screen whenever the Neodio CD player comes into view, does that count?

Yes it was indeed countries as I am convinced that British will count for the majority, but why ? Are we biased or is it considered the better ? ( yes I said it )

7 minutes ago, andyrlb said:

Some of us have had a lot of very expensive therapy to try and forget past experiences with large Focal speakers or at least come to terms with our demons (usually their tweeters).

Raking up the past won't do much for the victim's mental health in these circumstances. A lot of cold sweats and wild bloodshot eyes can result, an unfortunate look in current circumstances.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andyrlb said:

Yes it was indeed countries as I am convinced that British will count for the majority, but why ? Are we biased or is it considered the better ? ( yes I said it emoji50.png)

You're conducting a survey where you've already decided on the answer? Are you a Conservative politician? Or possibly Dominic Cummings?

Some of us have had a lot of very expensive therapy to try and forget past experiences with large Focal speakers or at least come to terms with our demons (usually their tweeters).
Raking up the past won't do much for the victim's mental health in these circumstances. A lot of cold sweats and wild bloodshot eyes can result, an unfortunate look in current circumstances.

Heard some Focal utopia’s not long ago actually and I’d completely forgotten about those

You're conducting a survey where you've already decided on the answer? Are you a Conservative politician? Or possibly Dominic Cummings?

Mate I’m seeing the live results that so far speak for themselves.

Yes it was indeed countries as I am convinced that British will count for the majority, but why ? Are we biased or is it considered the better ? ( yes I said it emoji50.png)

British companies make some of the world's best hifi. Then again, so do companies in the rest of the world, sometimes even in bits which were never pink on the map. The temerity of these people...