Davidp

Do you find Linn Akurate Exakt sounds a bit too bright for comfort?

I have a Linn Klimax LP12 with Akurate Exaktbox, Akurate Exakt DSM and Akurate 4200 power amp with Kudos Super 20A speakers in active mode.  The sound quality is amazing for small groups including pop, rock and jazz but, for classical in particular, I find the treble too bright for comfort much of the time.  I have fiddled with space optimisation and this has helped a bit but has not really sorted the problem to my ears.   Has anyone else had the same feeling and, if so, have you found a way to overcome the issue?   Thank you.

Super Wammer

I have a solution for you, please PM me :)  

You can try it for 10 days to decide if you like it.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Davidp said:

I have a Linn Klimax LP12 with Akurate Exaktbox, Akurate Exakt DSM and Akurate 4200 power amp with Kudos Super 20A speakers in active mode.  The sound quality is amazing for small groups including pop, rock and jazz but, for classical in particular, I find the treble too bright for comfort much of the time.  I have fiddled with space optimisation and this has helped a bit but has not really sorted the problem to my ears.   Has anyone else had the same feeling and, if so, have you found a way to overcome the issue?   Thank you.

I have found there are many reasons for the treble being too bright.

Here is a short list of potential candidates and possible corrective measures:

The windows and other hard reflective surfaces may be directing the harsh treble towards the listening position, and may benefit from curtains or other absorptive materials in the room.

The speakers may benefit from adjusting the toe-in with the tweeters pointed more towards the listening position. 

The mains cables may be sitting on top of the ethernet cables, speaker wires or interconnects. This can provide a harsh listening experience, so physically separate  the cables away from each other.

Place some Gunstigs from IKEA under the Akurate Exaktbox and the AEDSM's feet. This can reduce harshness significantly.

Some recordings are just harsh.

This is a partial list, but it will get you started

Thank you Paul - my room is quite reflective and I will try your suggestions

Thank you Photomax - May 2018

Just checking in as modern speakers can take hundreds of hours to settle in. 

I find it interesting you are experiencing brightness while playing vinyl with this level of table? Usually complaints of coldness, brightness and sharpness happen with streaming. 

There is some excellent knowledge with many of the members of this forum. To help them aid you I would suggest taking some photos of your room plus detailed measurements of the space (particularly with the walls to the speakers) and post them here...

Posted (edited)

One other thing: just as a control I would try comparing an album that yields this unwanted brightness by playing it with your LP12 and then streaming it via Tidal or Qobuz, etc. It would be interesting if there are noticeable differences...

Let us know the name of any relevant tracks. Folks can then play them on their own systems to see if the results match yours (or not)...

Edited by PhotoMax

Thank you for your post PhotoMax.  I do find the issue more pronounced with streaming to be honest but also to a lesser extent with vinyl (but I do have the urika 2 which is of course digital).  I have a fairly common type of lounge - it is rectangular, has coving plus a huge thick rug between listening position and speakers etc. I will post dimensions etc. as you suggest in due course thank you.  I have tried my previous (in theory less capable) system in the same room and the sound is actually more 'comfortable' to listen to at the high frequency end of orchestral music.  I do find the system excellent in terms of timing, articulation and sound quality in everything except my perception of high frequency brightness in orchestral music in particular.

Thanks again

D

17 minutes ago, PhotoMax said:

One other thing: just as a control I would try comparing an album that yields this unwanted brightness by playing it with your LP12 and then streaming it via Tidal or Qobuz, etc. It would be interesting if there are noticeable differences...

Let us know the name of any relevant tracks. Folks can then play them on their own systems to see if the results match yours (or not)...

Thank you... will try. Have done this informally by vinyl v ripped CD of same recording and the streaming is brighter but the vinyl is still on the bright side of comfortable to me.  It could just be me of course although my brother (who has perhaps a keener ear than me has the same view).

1 minute ago, Donuk said:

Use SO1 just as a tone control

Thanks Donuk - have already tried that via treble shelf and custom filters but attenuation of the high frequencies seems to affect the overall frequency range; and the character of the music - for instance, the attack of timpanis and clarity of bass.

Perhaps change your cat cable.  I have very good experience with Bluejeans Cable. It takes out the sharpness and impresses me with a neutral and warm soundstage with many details, but never sounding too analytic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DB1328 said:

Perhaps change your cat cable.  I have very good experience with Bluejeans Cable. It takes out the sharpness and impresses me with a neutral and warm soundstage with many details, but never sounding too analytic.

Thank you DB

High end brightness can be a mysterious and hard to pinpoint annoyance. I am fighting this to a certain extent with both of my systems. Most of the time I love the clarity, resolution and separation in instruments with the music I play.

But sometimes you are playing something and you are grooving along and all of a sudden you stop and go “what the heck is that?” You then dive for the remote to lower the volume. There have been a few ‘remastered’ albums that I have listened to that are so shrill in the high end that they become practically unlistenable.