Amormusic

Virus - will this kill new bands and talent?

It's just occurred to me, but with everything going on around us this will absolutely kill dead all new and emerging talent bands and artists for the next year or more?

There are some awesome bands and artists you (and I) have never heard of, that just wont have the cash, or will, to continue...

It's a bloody tough gig... mostly making a loss for each show, early on - from some discussions with bands I've seen...

It seems a tough nut to crack, plus mostly loss making until you get really known...

I've seen some unbelievable skill on show over the past couple of years, artists, bands and vocalists yet to hit the mainstream appreciation, which is likely now all wasted with what's going on due to financials... 

Utter shame really. As well as all the other damage in so many ways, new music is likely to be hit hard too...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Amormusic said:

I've seen some unbelievable skill on show over the past couple of years

I'm glad you have.

• Confused 1

Super Wammer

It willl be hard on the 'jobbing' muso's.  We see quite a few 'unknown, but well know' blues musicians at local venues who have skills equal to some of the big names but never got the break as they say.  

Over the past year we've seen  Gary Bryant, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Shari Shaw, Oli Brown, Anna Popovich, Simon Campbell, Chantal McGreggor, Erja Lytennen (due to see the last two at a joint gig in Leeds early May ????) most of whom people I meet look blankly if you mention their albums etc.  I hope they can all weather this storm as they provide a good night out, great music and it's not at £130 a ticket required to see Genesis etc ....most gigs are less than £20.

Artists like this need our support so get out to a gig once the current lockdown is relaxed.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

Artists like this need our support so get out to a gig once the current lockdown is relaxed.

+1 to this 👍

6 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

It willl be hard on the 'jobbing' muso's.  We see quite a few 'unknown, but well know' blues musicians at local venues who have skills equal to some of the big names but never got the break as they say.  

Over the past year we've seen  Gary Bryant, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Shari Shaw, Oli Brown, Anna Popovich, Simon Campbell, Chantal McGreggor, Erja Lytennen (due to see the last two at a joint gig in Leeds early May ????) most of whom people I meet look blankly if you mention their albums etc.  I hope they can all weather this storm as they provide a good night out, great music and it's not at £130 a ticket required to see Genesis etc ....most gigs are less than £20.

Some of the best gigs I've ever seen are from relative unknown artists.

As you say, people with just as much skill and with voices just as good as the big-timers, but who've just never got huge.

Thanks for the list btw. I'll check some of these out 😁