Sign in to follow this  
DomT

Anyone had quality issues with recent Luxman amps?

Super Wammer

Luxman L505uX has been making motorboat sounds from day one because of router power line things. This should only happen on valves but it happens on just the Luxman. Not on Trilogy or Marantz. 

Now all of a sudden when switching the loudness button on the indicator light does not light up. 

I had always though of Luxman as quality but this is not great news. 

Anyone like with similar problems. It’s really putting me off completing the purchase post Coronavirus.

I have the same amp...been problem free for years, but, no loudness button. There is none on the 505, so not sure what is happening there?

As to motorboat noises etc, can't you shift the router and cable a few feet? Might solve it?

12 minutes ago, rockmeister said:

I have the same amp...been problem free for years, but, no loudness button. There is none on the 505, so not sure what is happening there?

Dom has the mark II John , I think there is a loudness button on the remote .

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Sorry all yes I have the mk2.  But it was more of a general rather than model specific question. In the last 35 years I have never had a problem with an amp. So a less than one year old premium product should not have a problem or should I say two problems. 

Ref the router the only way to solve is to turn off the lower lines. But a SS amp should not motor boat unless it is poorly designed or not working properly. Am not an amp designer so please feel free to correct me. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

There is...sry, my mistake. It doesn't work if you have line straight selected tho...is that it?

Edited by rockmeister

Super Wammer
44 minutes ago, rockmeister said:

There is...sry, my mistake. It doesn't work if you have line straight selected tho...is that it?

When you click the line straight button you are either selecting line straight or loudness. Loudness kicks in but the indicator light does not light up. It’s an easy fix but it should never have happened 

Super Wammer

Are you saying you don’t have a loudness button on the remote?

E6FE6559-6B18-490D-91F3-7B95740972F3.jpeg

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Line Straight isolates all tone controls, loudness and subsonic.. assuming they are switched on prior to operating the line straight 

Have you turned off the line straight and then selected the other options I.e mono, subsonic and loudness?

i don’t know what you mean by router etc, don’t know what that has to do with the amp

Edited by radiant red

as radiant says.Line straight removes the bass, treble and loudness function from the signal path. If it's on, then an indicator ligh is also on to alert you. If you operate loudness with LS on, the LS light flashes, warning you you cannot do that. Turn LS off and loudness works, but does not have it's own 'loudness on' light.

Super Wammer
34 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Line Straight isolates all tone controls, loudness and subsonic.. assuming they are switched on prior to operating the line straight 

Have you turned off the line straight and then selected the other options I.e mono, subsonic and loudness?

i don’t know what you mean by router etc, don’t know what that has to do with the amp

Many thanks it works now. It seems that by coincidence the remote loudness button was pressed in or out without me knowing and so it didn’t operate as before. Pleased to have cleared that up.

Regarding router noise getting into the amplifier circuits has everything to do with the Luxman. When the Luxman amp is switched on and music is not playing a motorboat sound comes through the speaker. It is obvious to hear. Using the Marantz PM11S2, the Marantz PM7000N, and the Trilogy phono stage and using the same mains cable this motorboat sound does not happen.

The motorboats sound also happens if I plug in the Leben CS300XS and Audion phonostage; both being valve I would expect this. It absolutely should not happen on SS amplifiers. Conclusion is that the Luxman is not well designed. 

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, rockmeister said:

as radiant says.Line straight removes the bass, treble and loudness function from the signal path. If it's on, then an indicator ligh is also on to alert you. If you operate loudness with LS on, the LS light flashes, warning you you cannot do that. Turn LS off and loudness works, but does not have it's own 'loudness on' light.

Thanks guys. Wasn’t clear at all.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DomT said:

Thanks guys. Wasn’t clear at all.

I still don’t get it Dom, where is the router? Cables? My router is nowhere near my amp

as for amp design, the 505 is pretty well built imo

483F8E9A-B6C0-4811-A7F1-23E9F7BBD7C7.jpeg

Edited by radiant red

Super Wammer

I

Just now, radiant red said:

I still don’t get it Dom, where is the router? Cables? My amp is nowhere near my amp

as for amp design, the 505 is pretty well built imo

483F8E9A-B6C0-4811-A7F1-23E9F7BBD7C7.jpeg

I have a router in the lounge where the hifi is. Router is plugged into an adjacent socket to the one the Luxman is plugged into. Because the router does not reach the whole house we need to use those boosters to send WiFi through the mains cables. A booster is plugged into the same socket as the router. If I unplug the booster then there is no problem. Hopefully this is clearer. But according to my electrical tech there is nothing that can be done. That’s why I have been selling my valve stuff. 

Plug in WiFi extenders are the devils work. What you need is a new WiFi hub linked by a CAT cable to your router. Position the hub centrally in your home - ours is on the hall ceiling. Big house, thick walls, perfect WiFi everywhere.

• Upvote 1